main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ban number.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by MasterP, Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    This is just a stupid question I've been wondering for a while: Do MODs know how many times a user has been banned? Is there a little thingy on a user's profile that let's them know?

2. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Perhaps they store it in those ubersized mod-only brains that none of the rest of us have access to.

3. malcolm-darth-am-i

malcolm-darth-am-i Jedi Padawan star 4

May 21, 2005
    Well yes it is something like that. They are called user notes. It is a summery of all the outstanding bad stuff you did. And all the outstanding good stuff you did. It inclubes ban numbers. I am how ever not sure how they acseese these. You can PM a mod and ask them to PM them to you. Most likely you will get them. Unless you have been a very bad little user.

4. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    I would like to impress my vanity and say that they probably have a thread for every user in MS, but that's unlikely, so I guess they'd be in the AdminCP somewhere :p

5. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Yes. All bans are automatically put in each individual's user notes, so we can easily see how many times you've been banned, date/time and for what reason.

6. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    well, I wouldn't call it easy. Sure the bolded "User banned by" line makes it a little easier - but then sometimes there are a dozen game bans and with some users you have to carefully scroll through the novel of their notes to find the bans - and then you wonder why the hell he/she/they have only been banned (for real) four times!
    [face_frustrated]

In short: We don't get a number anywhere, we have to count. Bah.

7. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    We're supposed to have one, but zerosleep never finished the coding.

When you click on a user's profile you get to see their WUL, personal info etc. When we click on a user's profile we see their usernotes, last 5 posts, private email addresses and current ban status. Next to the current ban status is a field entitled " (Total # Bans: tbd) " which should have the total number of bans, but does not.

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Even if that field was filled in, Malkie, I believe if the user had both 'bad' bans and game bans you'd still have to do a manual count.

9. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    ah indeed ! busted !

still, most of the trolls don't play the games ;)

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That's true!

11. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Well most people haven't been banned a dozen times for games and other stuff, so it's still fairly easy to tell them apart. And true, trolls generally don't play games. :p

12. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    I've never received any game bans.

Make of that what you will!

But, back to the question asked - does that answer your query, or would you like more info?

13. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    Huh.. very interesting, so I'm guessing this info is used when people are campaigning to be mods?

14. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    People don't campaign to be mods, though, since it's not really a democracy here. They bribe us with phenomenal amounts of cash, which is vastly more persuasive.

E_S

15. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Then there are people like me, who have been banned a dozen times for no good reason [face_plain]

16. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    was the policy that a user could request to see their own usernotes abolished?

17. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    No.

Any user can request their usernotes - it's supposed to be requested via an admin, and should be edited (ie mod names removed) before being given to the user. Typically perm-banned users are not granted this request.

18. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    Unless you have been a very bad little user.

Who me? Nah... O:)

19. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Ahh come on now MasterP fess up, you is naughty.

About usernotes. Do mods really put good stuff in there as well, or is it all bad stuff?

20. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    The only "good" stuff are game bans, and occasionally a note if someone wins a game (to explain why they have temp VIP status).

21. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    There was a thread a while ago that debated the reasons for leaving out "good stuff" from usernotes.

22. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    You got cash???? [face_frustrated] I got a pat on the back and a "Don't break the boards!" before they sent me on my way. I want compensation! [face_batting]

23. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Actually, the longest ban I received was somehow erased from my usernotes. So, not all bans are well tracked.

24. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I'm guessing it's a very old one? Then you're right, because many old notes disappeared after somethingorother. Don't know the details.
    For example, very recently we got an unban request where it was a wonder that the system still knew who the banning mod was, because nothing of the sort was in the actual notes. (We let them back in ;))

25. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    This doesn't mean however that you can do something completely atrocious and expect the system to erase it after a certain amount of time. We'll still remember. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.