main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Band of Brothers

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by The_Scream_Man, Sep 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. General Cargin

General Cargin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 15, 1999
    It's ten episodes, with two already aired. There's also apparently a behind the scenes/ interviews with the veterans episode which makes eleven, but I'm not sure about that. They may save it for the DVD release.

On second thoughts, we may be lucky - Episode 10 it seems, should go to air on the last Monday in October, but I can't imagine a DVD release of a series in Australia so soon after it wraps.

2. The_Scream_Man

The_Scream_Man Jedi Knight star 5

May 1, 2000
    ANother amazing episode. That last moment wihth Malarky pickign up the laundrey of the dead men was very powerful and well done.

In terms of cinematogrphy, this is truly an amazing program. Its shot like a film! An amazing piece of televison. Ill be tuning in again eagerly next week.

3. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    I found it tedious and lacking in depth.

4. slaveone_2

slaveone_2 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 1, 2001
    It was a cool episode :D

I like tanks...heh heh heh....

5. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    All the characters look the same... makes it hard for me to follow the action

6. General Cargin

May 15, 1999
    It's early days yet. Each of the episodes tends to concentrate on one character's point of view. Private Blithe had the spotlight last night, but we won't see him again. One of the Battle of the Bulge episodes concentrates on one of the company medics, and a couple of severely wounded troopers. Lt Speirs will keep showing up from time to time, because he is a platoon leader in Dog Company and evenetually takes over Easy Company.

Due to the casualty rate Easy Company suffered, you will only see and really get to know the really lucky SOBs who don't get much more than scratches.

7. The_Scream_Man

May 1, 2000
    Lacking in depth? Are you nuts?!

I have to admit, Im abit with Stin; I had a helluva time figuring out who was who sometimes.

And i wish u hadnt said that spiers takes over easy. that means winters bites it, and i like him.

8. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    That whole hysterical blindness thing fell flat.

The whole thing was flat.

9. General Cargin

May 15, 1999
    I didn't say anything about Dick Winters getting killed. Dick Winters is one of the vets who gives his remembrances at the start of each episode.

10. Tayschrenn

Tayschrenn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2002
    Blithe annoyed the hell out of me. I was quite glad he finally died - then I remembered these characters were supposed to be based on real people?

Well, regardless, those people who refuse to shoot get really annoying ;)

Other than that I think the show is getting better and better. I'll deftinatly be watching.

Tayschrenn

11. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    DVD is coming soon actually, like November. I like Steven Ambrose though, he wrote some great books on US foreign policy.

Why did they wear backwards flags?

E_S

12. General Cargin

May 15, 1999
    The reason is that the stars of the flag would be closer to the paratroopers hearts. It's one of those cute traditions soldiers are known for.

As for Blithe, yes, all the characters are based on real people. I think Blithe was just a soldier who discovered far too late that he wasn't cut out for the job.

13. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Cool! Soldiers and their habits, very cool. Like "Hoo-ah". I've heard it's
    a) The spoken version of the acronym "H.U.A", for Heard, Understood, Acknowledged,
    b) Evolved from another H.U.A -> "Head Up A**", referring to officers, and

Got to say, I'm favoring (a) though.

Is Ambrose' book worth reading? Cause his book with Pembrose, "Globalism" is a great little handbook.

-E_S-

14. General Cargin

May 15, 1999
    Yes, I think so. It least helps you work out why some of the stunts the troops pulled happened. There wasn't exactly a lot of insight into why the NCOs all turned in their stripes in the first episode. It's the little details that get clarified.

15. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    I loved episode 3!!! it was very well done. The action is perfectly made, and the way the story is told is brilliant. the scene when the town was best..... the good thing is, that they have found a way to show the horrors of war, without getting TOO gory. although there was some pretty yuck bits..... but im a teen, im suppose to love that kinda stuff :(

16. The_Scream_Man

May 1, 2000
    SOE has a point: From a CPOV, its hard to go "This is cool!" because u remember that itwas real. Its like Saving Private Ryan. I came out wondering if Id actually enjoyed the film or not.

I havent watched it since the first time i saw it. BOB I think would be different...I may invest in the DVD's.

Will there be a box set?

17. General Cargin

May 15, 1999
    There's a 5 disc box set coming out in November in the States packed in a collectors tin or some such. Found this on another website -

5 DVD disks; packaged in metal box; includes the following:
    We Stand Alone Together: The Men of Easy Company." (documentary)
    "The Making of Band of Brothers" (featurette)
    "Video Diaries" making the series seen trough an actor (featurette)
    a featurette of HBO's premiere screening of the miniseries on the beaches of Normandy
    "Field Guide" information specific to the current episode being viewed
    Character biographies
    Scene selections
    a still photo gallery
    episodic previews

And that package is going to cost $89.95 in greenbacks, probably around $160 when it finally gets here.

18. The_Scream_Man

May 1, 2000
    Another cool episode, and a lot less gory.

Man when they blow somethin up in this show it really goes BANG doesnt it???

19. General Cargin

May 15, 1999
    Well, "The Breaking Point" certainly would come close to the most amount of bang in a one hour episode. It's times like tonight I'm glad I don't have surround sound.

20. The_Scream_Man

May 1, 2000
    This continues to be a phenomenal series. Last week was just HUGE. As soon as the show comes on, Im just riveted to the TV!

21. Jedi_Master_Damir

Jedi_Master_Damir Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Yes, I think the episode has been great... the action has been great and the reality of it all phenomenal. Each episode gets bigger and better... but the only thing pi$$ing me off is the constant interuption by the adds... they seem to kill it, kill the atmosphere and disrupts the great flowing of the show.

22. The_Scream_Man

May 1, 2000
    Last night was the first ep that hasnt totally enthralled me. It was ok, but not amazing.

23. General Cargin

May 15, 1999
    That would be because the series is accurately reflecting the attitude of the troops in March 1945 - they know the war is nearly over, they can almost smell the civilian clothes they'll be wearing when they get demobbed, but they know that there is still fighting to be done and that some of them won't be going home. Can you imagine being in that position? I can't, and I hope I never will experience it.

Episode 9, "Why We Fight", will be truly disturbing, I think. I could barely finish reading the chapter of the book, and I know, from other sources, the book watered it down somewhat.

24. The_Scream_Man

May 1, 2000
    Well, not abad finale. Learning who the old fellas were was pretty cool. And some nice scenic shots around the towns.

All in all a series i will miss :(

Lookin forward to the DVD...when i can afford it sometime.

25. General Cargin

May 15, 1999
    I liked it very much. Damian Lewis' narration through the episode was a superb touch, especially with him wrapping up the ultimate fates of the main players who were featured in the series.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.