main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bandwidth how much needed?

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by Tempestjonny, May 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tempestjonny

Tempestjonny Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    How much bandwidth do you think a smallish web site with a downloadable project on it (which will be hosted somewhere else), will need.

if you don't know (which i bet most of you don't) then tell me how much bandwidth you have on ur site if it hasn't run out.

2. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    I have 1GB of bandwidth a month, and the site goes through about 20MB a month on average.

3. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    What exactly will be hosted locally? Just HTML, or images too? How many pages, and how many images? How large are the images? How many visitors do you expect to get?

I currently have 12 gb a month, because I came extremely close to my previous 8 gb a month limit, but I doubt you'd use anything close to that much.

4. SobiFan

SobiFan Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2003
    It totally depends on how popular your site is and what you have ON the site. You'd be surprised at how much bandwidth gets eaten up and how fast.

5. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Exactly. It all depends on the content of your site and the amount of visitors you expect.

I have 10GB right now and use about 3GB/month on my forums alone, but when I have download sites for media outlets it can jump up pretty quickly.

6. NerfHerdersAnonymous

NerfHerdersAnonymous Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2003
    I'm not sure how much my site is using right now. Not much yet I'm thinking. How would I find out?

7. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    It should be in your site admin controls.

On mine it shows up when I log in I dont know about others

8. Darth_Imran

Darth_Imran Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    Content eats bandwidth. :)

If your going to have icons, images and wallpapers on the site, then a few hundred Mb shoud be enough. However, if your planning to have a fanfilm for download, you'll probably have to look into something similar to what YodaJeff has, if not more. ;)

9. Shadows_545

Shadows_545 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 21, 2002
    Hey YodaJeff who's your internet providor?

Shadow...

10. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    my bandwidth per month is only about half a gig. most of that is used by the images i use on my bbboard. my site, and board for that matter, aren't visited by very many people at the present.

11. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    My host is WebAxxs. I've hosted my site with them for over 4 years, and there have only been a few times when it was down, and it always was back up within a couple hours at the latest.

12. Shadows_545

Shadows_545 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 21, 2002
    Cool, Thanks YodaJeff! Looks promising, I may have finally found my Site Providor!

Shadow...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.