main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bane Did Not Originate the Rule of Two - There Was Another

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Genghis12, Dec 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Well, she's had her name registered here since more than a year before AotC was released. :D

2. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    If all it was was just Palpatine and his farm of red-headed hot chicks, then he rules the galaxy for all eternity.

Only if you could get him out of the bedroom long enough to do so. ;)

3. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    It is interesting to note that the two apprentices Bane has in mind in Jedi vs. Sith are both human females...

Perhaps his idea is more complicated than simply a two-person Sith Order? Perhaps his intention is to found his own Sith Bloodline with some suitably fertile chickadee...

4. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Not a bad idea. Bane was obviously pretty powerful, so, making a hereditary line of Sith isn't a bad idea.

5. LastOneStanding

LastOneStanding Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2004
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Bane's second candidate for an apprentice was a little girl, right???

6. Esplin9466

Esplin9466 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 27, 2002
    Aye. Zannah was her name, though she went by "Rain" for most of Jedi vs. Sith. As of now, her fate is still a mystery: did she die before Bane went to Dxun, or was she the apprentice he went to find on Onderon after his encounter with the orbalisks?

7. QuentinGeorge

Dec 12, 2003
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Bane's second candidate for an apprentice was a little girl, right???

Doesn't mean he isn't "grooming" her for an intended role as a consort and mother of a line of Sith...

8. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Githany's twin headlamps [face_batting] 8-}

Long live the rule of the TWO!

*hides before Moriah sees this post* lol

9. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    She died (or left) before his arrival on Dxun, going from the evidenciary cues in the story. Which was published before Jedi vs. Sith, and conflicts in several respects with both it and the Dietz novellas.

Was flipping through the Phantom Menace novelization the other day, and it's stated that Bane did not take on another apprentice after Zannah -- a male one -- until he was quite aged, near the end of his life. Evidently that hunt on Onderon must've been a farking long 'un, considering that Bane headed *down* there not long after Qordis's (and presumably Zannah's) deaths.

10. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    awesome Genghis. I myself am a fan of the rule of two. ;)

11. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Doesn't mean he isn't "grooming" her for an intended role as a consort and mother of a line of Sith...

For one, we're really looking at a series age difference there. And for two, I very highly doubt that if Bane was lookingto start a Sith bloodline with himself as the root of the family tree that he'd want to wait long enough for Rain to be old enough to bear him a child. In JvS she came across as being between five and seven years of age, maybe a very outside eight at the oldest. Tomcat and Bug came across as between eleven and fourteen themselves.

12. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    He did have to teach her the ways of the Sith first, so she'd presumably be around for a while. A few years? Long enough to reach puberty?

While I don't wish to disparage the paragons of virtue that are the Dark Lords of the Sith, I'm pretty sure that generally-speaking, there wasn't any boundry which Bane - or any random Dark Lord of the Sith for that matter - considered to be "too profane," including pedophilia.

13. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    I'm not saying Ban wouldn't have been such an ***********. I'm seeing he wouldn't have wanted to wait for her to be old enough to bear him a child. Rather than wait the few years for her to hit puberty he'd have been more likely to kill her and then find someone mature enough to bear him a kid. Besides, he saw what Rain did to Tomcat just to stop a fight without killing him. Imagine what she'd do to him if he tried anything before he'd trained her for a few years.

14. QuentinGeorge

Dec 12, 2003
    You sure he didn't choose her specifically FOR the power she displayed?

For a Sith Lord, waiting the decade or so until she was physically mature would have been the least of his concerns.

In that time he would have been carefully moulding her personality and attitudes until she saw him as some sort of messiah-figure.

It may be significant that he acts more congenially to Rain than he does to any of the Sith.

15. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    The power to turn him into John Wayne Bobbit? He'd already selected her as his apprentice before he saw that she could do such things. And it wouldn't have taken a decade before she could have produced offspring. There have certainly been cases of girls as young as twelve, and no doubt younger, who have given birth.

16. QuentinGeorge

Dec 12, 2003
    The power to turn him into John Wayne Bobbit?

If she didn't use the power to harm him when they first met, why do you think she would years later after years of brainwashing, and training?

She'd be like the other Sith who was trained from an early age - Darth Maul - who looked upon his master like some sort of god.

17. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Is . . . is it true Bane pulled the moon closer to Onderon with the dark side?

Just how can a satellite periodially edge atmospheres with its world and not collide down anyway?

18. LastOneStanding

LastOneStanding Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2004
    >>Just how can a satellite periodially edge atmospheres with its world and not collide down anyway?<<

Simple answer...it's a Star Wars plot device.

As far as Rain is concerned, it seemed that Bane was going to take her on as his apprentice when Rain says something along the lines of "I'm like you. I'm a killer too." Bane saw much potential in that remark.

A question here...am I crazy or was Githany not that attractive? I guess, if I was to pick a good-looking female darksider from the ancient Star Wars EU, I'd probably pick Aleema (granted she was around a few thousand years before Bane).

Strange enough, both Aleema and Githany look similar when they're about to die...and that's not attractive in either case. ;)

19. QuentinGeorge

Dec 12, 2003
    >>Just how can a satellite periodially edge atmospheres with its world and not collide down anyway?<<

Simple answer...it's a Star Wars plot device.

Longer Answer: It's a Kevin J Anderson Star Wars plot device.

20. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Longer Answer: It's a Kevin J Anderson Star Wars plot device.

Too bad that was Tom Vietch who wrote that, then.

21. QuentinGeorge

Dec 12, 2003
    Too bad that was Tom Vietch who wrote that, then.

No, KJA wrote "Bane of the Sith" where Bane pulls Onderon towards Dxun.

That's what I was referring to.

22. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Excellence,
    No it is not true.

Bane does not pull Onderon closer to Dxun in Kevin Anderson's "Bane of the Sith" story.

23. QuentinGeorge

Dec 12, 2003
    Now that he understood the depths of Sith powers, he thought he might even have control over worlds and moons, able to play with orbits and gravity like a child might play with colored balls.

Long ago, Dxun had grazed the planet Onderon, close enough that it was possible for creatures to pass across the conjoined atmosphere. Perhaps Bane could nudge the beast moon close enough so that he could travel to the nearby planet that filled the sky. In bloodshed and chaos, Darth Bane would go to Onderon ... and there he would find his apprentice.

Well, there's the passage. I suppose you're right. He doesn't actually do it in the story. He just says he "could" if he wanted to.

Kinda cheap.

24. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    It doesn't even say he could if he wanted to. He was begging the question. Making assumptions on his limits of newfound power.

But, Kevin Anderson and the Bane of the Sith story doesn't establish one way or the other that he achieved such limits, or that he even could achieve such limits.

25. QuentinGeorge

Dec 12, 2003
    Ok, I concede the point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.