main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Banite Sith

Discussion in 'Literature' started by SaucySarlaac, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    i think you sound very silly out loud

2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Banal Sith! [face_tee_hee]

Zorrixor and MercenaryAce like this.
  3. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    I would love a story on Gravid's adventures.

4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I'm now officially advocating the use of "Banian," just to piss everybody off.

It's gold, Trip! Gold!

Ulicus likes this.
  5. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
  6. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    I find this interesting. It tells me how fans can have such differing tastes in content. I personally found the Daiman and Odin time incredibly boring. Not bashing what you like I just never got into it. Knight Errant is the first Star Wars book I actually set down out of boredom through the majority of the book and never finished. On the flip side I loved every single moment of the Plagueis novel.

darthzac14 likes this.
  7. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    The book bored me to no ends too, but that was because it was very badly written (I think that was JJ Millers first novel), not because of the Sith-stuff in it. The comic-series is much better. But on principle I very much like how John Jackson Miller toys with the concept of Sith, expands on it. He may be a horrendous book author, but he has a lot of clever ideas. In the hands of someone more gifted in the craft of storytelling the material could hold a lot of potential.

On the other hand, Darth Plagueis was well written, I even enjoyed it. But besides the midichlorian manipulations it barely contained anything original, if at all. I sometimes felt like reading Bane trilogy 2.0.

darthzac14 likes this.
  8. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    I couldn't get into the comics to much for it. They felt a bit overrated to me. I am really picky with comics though.

9. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Interesting. The general consensus round these parts is that Knight Errant is one of the better written SW novels we've had in recent years, and "OMIGOD GIVE JJM more novels!"

Hence the rejoicing once Kenobi was announced.

I could understand someone being bored or by the material but it boggles my mind to think someone could be interested in the material and turned off by the way it was written. Still, different strokes.

10. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Coincidently, I'm a professional writer myself (in german). What especially struck me when reading the Knight Errant novel were excessive info dumps. The writer often forgot about the Show, don't Tell principle. There was also a problem with plotting. For the first couple hundred pages it wasn't very clear what the point of all the action was. The protagonist seemed to be thrown around a lot by forces outside her control (this was also typical in JJMs comics, which I liked regardless).
    But I am extremely picky about books. I have big troubles turning off my "proofreading radar" which makes it really difficult for me to enjoy books sometimes. It's much easier for me to enjoy a comic.

DP on the other hand had less infodumps (there were a couple at the beginning, but it was nowhere as bad as in KE). The protagonists had clear goals. Most of what happened was important in some way, there were far less detours. Therefore, even though the two protagonists weren't the most interesting personalities in the galaxy, I consider the book better written.

11. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Fair enough.

12. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    I always thought DP contained too much references to the bigger EU. Too many minor characters were mentioned (for example: Xizor). They had nothing to do with the overall plot.

Do not get me wrong, I liked the book, but I think for people who are not into the EU the book is abit confusing.

Sable_Hart likes this.
  13. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    An anthology would actually be quite nice. I've always felt a whole range of novels would be overkill and so never going to happen, but something akin to the Lost Tribe stories that picked out the main bits would certainly be fun.

14. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Besides the authors I listed, I'm thinking Joe Whatshisname, the guy who wrote Death Troopers and Red Harvest, can contribute.

15. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    Actually I wish the Book of the Sith had included that instead of that over-long section on the Nightsisters. That really should have been a page or two. The rest could have been to explore more on the Sith history, different Sithlords, or more Sith philosophy & powers.

16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Incidentally, I look at the six-odd centuries from the Battle of Mizra and the Battle of Ruusan from the Sith point of view (not-Banal), and wonder if they consider this a golden age. Sure, they're killing each other, but they've won.

17. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Well, won is relative. What they've really accomplished is to get the Republic to abandon a big chunk of the galaxy - but in all the really important categories, economic, population, culture, etc. it's kind of well, the lousy part. Knight Errant stresses how the whole Rim is regressing technologically and intellectually under Sith control. Considering it is very much a Sith core principle to covet the nicer things of others, and that they all know how much better the Republic they can't even reliably get to has it, I doubt they're all that happy.

The Republic's scorched earth (scorched galaxy?) strategem was undoubtedly astonsihing brutal to the people it abandoned but ultimately, it proved successful.

18. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    But most of the Sith Lords don't even care about technological or intellectual regression. To me, that time is almost like a golden age. The Sith do what they do best and what they enjoy the most: conquer, compete and kill.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  19. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Don't forget the only Sith around after that time period are Bane's Sith, who think those Sith were a bunch of idiots. Bane, whose opinions would form the foundation for future Sith, thought they wasted their time fighting each other instead of the jedi, and the fact that everyone and their dog declared themselves Sith lords as an utter embarresment to the order.

Plus, I get the feeling that Banite Sith are Lawful Evil rather than Chaotic Evil, and thus I think their golden age would be more the SWTOR Sith than anything.

20. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    He's writing a Maul book that will be having Plagueis, Sidious, and Maul sometime late this year

21. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Bane was jealous, shortsighted and insane.

His infinite wisdom doomed the Sith to hide in holes like rats while waiting for some golden era that would only last 25 years. You can say he played a huge part in causing the Siths extinction.

22. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    But the technological limitations serve as a break on their ability to conquer. Knight Errant describes a whole bunch of tiny little Sith principalities composed of many a handful of worlds apiece without the strength to outright conquer each other. Their navigation deficencies are so great they can barely manage to even properly attack their neighbors.

And yet all of these Sith (well at least the ones not completely insane) know full well that those methods, those powers do exist, they are out there. They know that if the Republic hadn't cut them off, that if they still had constantly updating BoSS datafeeds they could expand their conquests by orders of magnitude.

Every Sith worthy of the name wants to achieve a state as close to outright godhood as possible (Damian et al. already think they are there) how much it must grate on them to know that, but for some hyperspace coordinates, they could get so much closer.

23. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Those Sith principalities conquer each other all the time as shown in the novel and even in the comic as far as I remember. So no, your statement is wrong. They are capable of defeating each other even if it is quite challenging. The existing navigation charts are property of the Lords though. They don't give them to servants out of fear that they might be spies of an opposing Lord. If one day one Lord would win against all the others he or she would possess access to all the charts in Sith space and I guess then they could easily attack the republic. And isn't that what the Sith order is all about? Rise of the strongest of them all through conquest? And considering how damn powerful the Sith were in that time, this one Ultralord would be formidable indeed.