main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Banned user list

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Tycho556, Aug 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I agree with Katya_Jade on this issue who agreed with me on this issue.

2. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Everyone should agree with me on everything. Makes life easier.

3. Porkins_eat_world

Porkins_eat_world Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2002
    hot damn! you're sexy when you're right. [face_love]

4. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    I don't know whether a banned userlist would be a good idea.

Although, I would personally like to see it stated in the users profile if they have been banned. I know that requires editing of the boards code, but it would be helpful when someone new (like myself) is scrounging around some old threads and would like to know what happened to old users. This way, trolls won't get the attention that they desire, and the users could see what has happened to other users who have disapeared, past and present.

5. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    I tend to agree with The_Anakin_Wannabe, however I see why it hasn't been applied, as it would be one issue of privacy, as does embarass those whom were banned.

Plus I am sure that either way many have their ways to find out one person had been banned. Many times via other posters, or the banned member himself ;) .

6. Mr_Sith

Mr_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 19, 2003
    If there was a List then Comms would be spammed with a lot of "Why was I banned" threads just to get attention because the public knows about it.

Sapient cleared it up when he said if you want to knwo if a user is Banned then PM a Mod. Simple as Cake. Or Pie, whichever you prefer :p

7. -Lord-Vader-

-Lord-Vader- Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2003
    I like the idea of having a banned user list. It might be helpful, but I dont really think that anyone that was banned for something would mind having their name shown on a list of banned users. I wouldnt at least.

8. Stridarious

Nov 27, 2002
    -Lord-Vader-: "I like the idea of having a banned user list. It might be helpful, but I dont really think that anyone that was banned for something would mind having their name shown on a list of banned users. I wouldnt at least."

I don't agree, that might just create more problems between users and that in turn may enable other members to label that poster as a "Banny". For now its private. The way it should remain. ;)

9. motf-jan

motf-jan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 25, 2001
    I have to agree that a banned user list would not be helpfull. However, somekind of common reasons people get banned list could be. No names so not to embarrass people, but simply language so that people are informed on what could possibly be a banning offense. In alot of cases, it's very subjective and what one person considers a flame, another may not. If a basic list was posted--not open for disscussion, just for information purposes, then the user would be alot more informed than by just reading the TOS. Not everyone is so internet savy that they know what a Flame, or a Troll, or a Spam is. Nor the different degrees of these offenses. Alot of us who have been on the boards for a long time do know, but many newbies don't know the terminology and thus they get themselves in trouble.

This is not to say there are not the obvious trouble makers, want-a-be's, attention seekers, and down right nut cases out there. Usually their type of posts are clear to everyone, but we must admit there has to have been occassions where the offenses were in that grey area of subjectivity.

I think although there isn't any real since of privacy when you post to public boards, the little the user has should be respected. Unless the user has so abused the system that they become a problem for everyone all together.

Just me two cents.

Janet

10. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    I agree with Katya, but disagree with Sape, or perhaps it's the other way around.

Go figure that one out. :D

11. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000
    Yeah, Genghis. Really helpful [face_plain]

[/lethal amouts of sarcasm]

12. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    If looks could kill, Fate's face_plain would make Jeffrey Dahmer's heart flutter [face_love]

13. gundark

gundark Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 1999
    I think it'd be cool... like when you go into a store and see all the checks that people bounced tacked up on the wall.

Yes.

14. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Fate...
    "Yeah, Genghis. Really helpful"

Well, I'm glad to have another satisfied customer. That's the reason I answer questions in Comms - to help y'all out like this. :)

15. -Lord-Vader-

-Lord-Vader- Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2003
    It would be like "The JC Wall of Shame"

I still agree with myself.

8-}

16. Stridarious

Nov 27, 2002
    I agree with motf-jan, although some of the definitions could be found on the JC glossary, many are still un-listed. Maybe having those terms lisited where everyone could see what could be considered bannable material in one thread would be most helpful. ;)

17. MetalGoldKnight

MetalGoldKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    The definition of irony: Tycho556 is now banned himself, and this was seemingly his last post nonetheless.

18. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    [face_laugh]

[MrObviousCaller]I never made the connection![/MrObviousCaller]

I remember all that... those chats were funny, even if it was all the same person. ;) :p

And I think you need more emphasis on the word "seemingly" in your post. ;)

19. CUBIE_HOLE

CUBIE_HOLE Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2001
    I'm sure this must have been asked before, but why doesn't the jc have a list of recently banned users, along with reason for banning or links to threads. I'm sure this feature would be helpful to newbies and just for curiosity's sake

Okay, so basically you want a feature that makes it more convient to view drama.

If you're going to dream silly, at least dream big silly.

[dreambigsilly]A new forum: The JC Correctional Facility Cell Block 1138.

A place where only the banned can post. There could be prison gangs: spammers vs. trolls. Once a week there is a 'shank' feature randomly given to a banned member, and with it they can permanently eliminate another banned user forever. Once a month there is a random escape feature where a banned user becomes a regular user again, and the first user to discover their first 'escaped' post gets pretty colors for a day.

It's effortless drama in the making.[/dreambigsilly]

Sadly, as ridiculous as that is, I could see it being really popular.

20. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    CUBIE_HOLE: [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I've got to mention that to a friend of mine who is currently serving a month without the possibility of parole (along with a couple of friends who have life sentences) in said "correctional facility". He'll get a kick out of it.

I do think motf-jan has a good idea in specifying examples of a "spam", "troll", or "flame". As far as flames, and some people taking offense to what others may not--my personal opinion is that if people would follow the Golden Rule and disagree without being disagreeable, we wouldn't have these problems. I was posting on another thread about how people shouldn't be allowed to be jerks just because they "want to", it's "their style", or "it's a cold world--get used to it". Most people come to these message boards as their escape from Darth Real Life, and therefore don't want to put up with the same crap that DRL dishes out. This should be a civilized place where we can have fun. But because it's inevitable that some people are just going to be A-holes, the definition of a "flame" should be specified.

I don't understand the thrill of spamming and trolling. If you can't find anything better to do than go into threads and either try to throw them off topic or try to piss off everyone posting there, you probably need to either get a job or spend more time on your homework.

21. RogueRoyalGuard

RogueRoyalGuard Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2002
    I can see why it would cause problems for the mods, but since I'm not one why would I care. ;)

as to -lord-vaders- "It would be like "The JC Wall of Shame"
    I think he should get first dishonors on the wall for cheating and ruining a mafia game. which brings me to a point: a banned user list would at least be useful to let people know who not to hang out with.

22. Mertroid

Mertroid Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 29, 2002
    With a banned user list, someone would have to be dedicated at making it for ppl keep getting banned and unbanned so it'd always be changing, it should probably tell how long the person is banned too

23. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    The mods probably have a banned user list in their admin CP, to make it simpler for them.

24. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    If someone breaks the rules then they face the consequences. I see no major issue with naming and shaming.

25. Sam_Skywalker

Sam_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    i agree with Darth Asabrush on this issue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.