main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bans and Mods - Smart or Not?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grand Admiral Thran, Aug 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    But I also think people should be able to talk smack and take it without being banned

I don't. People don't come here to be insulted. Shouldn't we be aiming for "friendly"?

If someone asks about the release date of EPIII in a timity zhan fan club thread, people should be able to call the person stupid ext.. without fear of being banned. The person will just have to be more careful next time where they post.

No, they should be politely pointed to the appropriate thread. Someone who does something like that is probably new and didn't know the appropriate place to ask their question. They shouldn't be called stupid for making an honest mistake. If they're referred to the appropriate thread, they'll know where to post next time. No one deserves to be called stupid.

they should be able to take an insult

No, people should be mature enough not to go around insulting each other. We aren't on the playground here, we're all old enough to know how to treat others with respect.

Wouldn't the JC be a better place if everyone would just be nice to each other?

YubYub and TG- Protectin' lasses from hormonally gifted seadogs since 2002

2. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    But I also think people should be able to talk smack and take it without being banned or being whiny.

Oh so you want it to be ok to flame. Well that's not going to happen here. But there are other boards that do that. I never go to them.

(in their respective orders) If someone asks about the release date of EPIII in a timity zhan fan club thread, people should be able to call the person stupid ext..without fear of being banned.

So woudl torlling, and spamming be ok to then? ?[face_plain] What you want is the ruin of many message boards.

The person will just have to be more careful next time where they post.
    the world will go on if someone's feelings are hurt.

There are different age groups here. But really insuliting people does not do much. In fact it shows that people never really grow up.

they're not five year olds who can go and sulk, they should be able to take an insult

Yeah you right we are not five years old so we should be able to talk with each other with out insults. ;)

3. Grand Admiral Thran

Grand Admiral Thran Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 22, 1999
    I think what the person was referring to was not huge flaming or trolling or what you guys are, but this:

"You're being a complete idiot right now."

Which, you would probably be banned for right now.

Or
    "Dude, you seriously need a life, you loser."

Which is also bannable.

He's basically saying people should grow up and stop making this place so PC and touchy-feely that people who were here long ago don't leave this place in disgust.

-GAT

4. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Perhaps the problem, also, is that you don't find anything wrong with the examples you brought up. Those comments are rude and unnecessary, and if you think that's too "touchy-feely", then perhaps you're better better off finding a forum where such ridiculous comments are permissable. They sure don't belong here, and for good reason.

5. RogueRoyalGuard

RogueRoyalGuard Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2002
    "He's basically saying people should grow up and stop making this place so PC"

Ahmen! that is exactly what I'm saying.

those who can't take an insult and learn from it are weak in the first place.

They sure don't belong here, and for good reason.

Those reasons being...?
    what, they'll get their feelings hurt? this isn't a self-esteem shop.

6. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    You catch more flies with honey and vinegar. People can learn just as easily from being politely corrected as they can from being insulted. Everyone deserves to be treated with respect. Insults hurt, it's as simple as that. It's not a sign of weakness, just of humanity. "Sticks and stones can break my bones, but names will scare my soul."

I think people should grow up and realize that insulting people isn't cool.

YubYub and TG- Protecting fangirls from hormonally gifted fanboys since 2002

7. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    "timity zhan"

[face_laugh]

8. RogueRoyalGuard

Nov 29, 2002
    "You catch more flies with honey and vinegar"

I for one would rather have a few sensible grown up posters than a lot of babies clogging up the boards.

"timity zhan"

**gasp!!** you've insulted a typing mistake!! Be banned!

9. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    And you define "sensible grown up posters" as people who go around hurling childish insults? You and I apparently have vastly disparate definitions of maturity.

YubYub and TG- Protecting fangirls from hormonally gifted fanboys since 2002

10. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "what, they'll get their feelings hurt? this isn't a self-esteem shop."

It's not a hang-out for bullies, either. You keep sneering at the one end of the extreme, and can't understand that you, yourself, are clear over at the other end. Grown-ups don't have to resort to insults. Perhaps, in a couple of few years, this fact will dawn on you.

"I for one would rather have a few sensible grown up posters than a lot of babies clogging up the boards."

Let's see - some people are whining because they are being insulted, and other people are whining because they aren't allowed to insult others? Which ones are the babies again? ?[face_plain]

11. RogueRoyalGuard

Nov 29, 2002
    Let's see - some people are whining because they are being insulted, and other people are whining because they aren't allowed to insult others? Which ones are the babies again?

Which one is truer to life? A "perfect utopia" where no is penalized for acting stupid, or one where you have to act mature or be insulted?

if you answered the former, I don't know what life is coming to.

12. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    I for one would rather have a few sensible grown up posters than a lot of babies clogging up the boards.

A lot of people seem to have the mistaken impression that just because we are online, and not meeting people face-to-face, that the rules of human interaction have somehow magically changed. This is not the case.

In what other facet of our lives is it considered acceptable to insult those you disagree with? Employment? Nope. That would get you fired. School? Nope. That would get you in trouble with the administration. Relationships/marriage? If you believe that, I hope you enjoy being single.

Why is it that it should be acceptable here? All we really ask of users is that they be held to more or less the same standards as you would be in the world at large. You should treat others with respect and receive respect from them in return. For those times when that is not the case, the administration is here to help resolve the problem one way or another.

If you want a place to "let loose" and live down those standards, then go elsewhere. Such behavior is not welcome here.

Kimball Kinnison

13. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    Hmmm... I read through this whole thread, and didn't see a reason to respond for a while, but I figure I might as well do so now.

What about those people who know they don't have to (or at least shouldn't have to) take an insult? Are they "weak", too?

Isn't that mildly discrimination? Saying certain people "don't belong here"? Tell me that's not in violation of the TOS.

Everyone deserves to be treated with respect. Insults hurt, it's as simple as that. It's not a sign of weakness, just of humanity.

Exactly correct. In fact, it's more of a sign of weakness on the insulter's part that they have to resort to personal attacks, name-calling, what have you. What, you (the advocates of insulting people) can't discuss things or solve problems intellectually, like normal people? You have to resort to trying to hurt the other person's feelings and either provoke them (and get them banned) or anger/upset them to the point of making them leave the debate/conversation in order to "prove your point", or think that you've "won" the debate? That's a far cry from mature. In fact, it's a logical fallacy - personal attacks are the fallacy of ad hominem, and never contribute anything to a debate or discussion.
    And you hurt the person's feelings. Do you feel good about yourself? Is that what "gets you off", making people feel bad? Isn't that a little disconcerting, and a little pathetic? Why can't you just discuss things without resorting to personal attacks? Does the discussion exceed your intellectual capacity to the point that you have to insult people? (and insulting certainly doesn't "get your point across" any better -- as stated, there IS no point to insulting people, so you certainly can't be adding anything to the quality of the discussion)

Luckily for you, there are a lot of other messageboards out there, that might suit your "needs" better than the JC. Or if all else fails, you can start your own. In fact, you might want to take a look at this thread and consider seeking out "JediBratzilla"'s forum.

And you define "sensible grown up posters" as people who go around hurling childish insults? You and I apparently have vastly disparate definitions of maturity.

I second that.

Grown-ups don't have to resort to insults. Perhaps, in a couple of few years, this fact will dawn on you.

Bingo, exactly.

Which one is truer to life? A "perfect utopia" where no is penalized for acting stupid, or one where you have to act mature or be insulted?

Acting mature and insulting people are total opposites. If you're a caustic person who insults people instead of acting with some semblance of intelligence and maturity, you're bound to get fired from your job, lose your friends, and eventually lead a low-quality and unfulfilling life.
    People ARE penalized for acting stupid in real life - it's called cause and effect. Stupid people don't get hired or promoted, and stupid people often times have bad things happen to them due to their stupidity. However, it's not YOUR place to insult them or point out their stupidity. Stupid or incompetent people get fired from their jobs; however, bosses do so in a professional and curteous manner, as opposed to flaming/bashing them (subtly or overtly).
    Why do you feel the need to insult people? Is it the fact that you're sitting comfortably behind a computer screen shielded by the anonymity of the Internet, where no one can get you if you decide to ream someone for "being stupid" (in your opinion)? If you insult people in real-life the way I've seen a lot of childish people do on the Internet (and no matter how the insulting is done, it's still childish), you'd get jumped by the person's friends, or get

14. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "Which one is truer to life? A "perfect utopia" where no is penalized for acting stupid, or one where you have to act mature or be insulted?"

"if you answered the former, I don't know what life is coming to."

Well, apparently for you, life is coming to the point where you feel the need to seek these "answers to life" on a Star Wars forum. No wonder you feel so frustrated. That does not mean you get to vent your frustration onto to others. Go buy a punching bag or something.

"They sure don't belong here, and for good reason."

"Isn't that mildly discrimination? Saying certain people "don't belong here"? Tell me that's not in violation of the TOS."

Not if you bothered to read, much less post, the entire sentence. I'll highlight the important parts.. :p
    "you're better better off finding a forum where such ridiculous comments are permissable. They sure don't belong here, and for good reason.

The noun-pronoun relationship here is the "ridiculous comments", not the poster. I have no problem with RogueRoyalGuard wanting to post here, but I do have a problem with what he wants to post. In case you havne't been keeping track, the TOS has a problem with what he wants to post as well. I believe that was the entire point of this debate. ;)

"Which one is truer to life? A "perfect utopia" where no is penalized for acting stupid, or one where you have to act mature or be insulted?"

"Acting mature and insulting people are total opposites. If you're a caustic person who insults people instead of acting with some semblance of intelligence and maturity, you're bound to get fired from your job, lose your friends, and eventually lead a low-quality and unfulfilling life."

Agreed. I also find it humourous that allowing insulting will apparenlty bring RogueRoyalGuard closer to his version of "Utopia", and farther away from that of a majority of the users on these boards, much less the TOS itself.

"To show that you're "better" than that person because you can insult them "anonymously" over the Internet? Oh yeah, now that's *real* mature..."

"In what other facet of our lives is it considered acceptable to insult those you disagree with? Employment? Nope. That would get you fired. School? Nope. That would get you in trouble with the administration. Relationships/marriage? If you believe that, I hope you enjoy being single."

"Exactly what I was saying earlier in this post."

Touche' [face_laugh]

As I also stated - someone just wants to vent, and can't do it in real life. These forums will not solve your problems, RogueRoyalGuard, and you will only add to others'.

15. Num1Fan

Num1Fan Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2003
  16. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    "They sure don't belong here, and for good reason."

"Isn't that mildly discrimination? Saying certain people "don't belong here"? Tell me that's not in violation of the TOS."

Not if you bothered to read, much less post, the entire sentence. I'll highlight the important parts..

I was referring to RogueRoyalGuard's comment which he hilighted in pink:

It didn't occur to me that he was quoting you - I thought he was hilighting some sort of personal mantra of his, that people who can't take insults don't belong on this forum.
    For the record, I AGREE with you with regard to insulting people, by the way. :)

17. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    " It seems that Grilled Sarlacc has a personable vendetta against me. For no reason."

One need only to look at your posting history to see why. Like RogueRoyalGuard, you have no problem with your posting "style", and therefore can't understand why anyone else does as well. It's been explained over and over on this and other sites, but you just don't get it, and likely never will.

"It didn't occur to me that he was quoting you"

No problem - hence the emoticons. :)

18. RogueRoyalGuard

Nov 29, 2002
    I think insulting people IS wrong, but it is a very important part of life. I make it a personal practice to avoid insulting people in real life and try to do the same here. But if others want to insult people I have no problem with that. I have only been banned on two occasions: both for dying in a mafia game. It is my personal opinion that Americans and every other "advanced" society are getting softer and weaker. I think the so-called "zero tolerance" in schools and other places leads to this. when people no longer know how to handle an insult, they become weak, and un-able to deal with problems as effectively as they would have had they learned how to recover from the shock of being insulted off and on.
    Growing up, I had some bully right next door who consistently insulted me and tried to beet me up. It only made me stronger, and if I had a choice of living next to him or some one else I would chose him. If ever war is brought to American soil, I dread the day when we depend on people who have never had to face bullies to defend our liberty.

19. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    But if others want to insult people I have no problem with that.

But many others here do, including the administration. Flaming is not allowed here, and I don't think it ever will be (or should be).

People who are "grown up" or "sensible" usually know how to discuss things intelligently and reasonably without resorting to insults or childish behavior.

20. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "Growing up, I had some bully right next door who consistently insulted me and tried to beet me up. It only made me stronger, and if I had a choice of living next to him or some one else I would chose him. If ever war is brought to American soil, I dread the day when we depend on people who have never had to face bullies to defend our liberty."

So now being a bully is a true measure of Patriotism?

*rolls eyes*

21. RogueRoyalGuard

Nov 29, 2002
    And I am not implying that the admin is defective or anything. And I do think I have gone a little overboard. But I do maintain that people need to be able to deal with insults.

"So now being a bully is a true measure of Patriotism?"

no. but learning how to deal with one is.
    yes, I did go overboard, over imphasised my piont and sounded like I was advcating insulting people. All I was REALLY trying to say is that people need to learn how to deal with bullies and insults

22. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    That's probably true. But it isn't something that should be forced on people, and allowed to create an unwelcome or hostile environment.

23. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "no. but learning how to deal with one is."

Well, then. I thank you for adding to my patriotism. ;)

24. RogueRoyalGuard

Nov 29, 2002
    that's sad if expressing one's opinion without flaming is being a bully. In that case I guess I AM a bully.

25. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    I think insulting people IS wrong, but it is a very important part of life.

Really I find that must people who insult others have a lot to learn. A whole lot.

Here's any old saying it take a big man to walk away form a pointless fight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.