main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bantam gave it up, why not Dark Horse

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Vong_Killer, Dec 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vong_Killer

Vong_Killer Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 22, 2001
    While attempting to study for finals I am once again distracted by Star Wars. So here's my Q:

Seeing as how Dark Horse has had the Star Wars license for quite some time now, isn't about time that Lucas Licensing gave it to someone else? Marvel gave it up at one point, why not DH? Especially considering that DH seems to contimually create and then destroy their ongoings recently. Rougue Squadron, Tales, Empire, and Republic have all come to an end, what are the chances that KotOR, Rebellion and this new X-Wing series are gonna even last?

Bantam gave it up after their fair run, and I was under the impression that this was more because it wasn't fair for one publishing company to have the rights to license for so long.

Thoughts?

V_K

2. Dunc T'racen

Dunc T'racen Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 11, 2000
    Well, it's worth noting that at the time Bantam lost the license there was a big kerfuffle from SFWA over how they were paying some of the authors. (Flat fee, I think, as opposed to royalties.) Might have had something to do with it. Or maybe Del Rey just had a better pitch. The concept of storyline-by-committee was rather revolutionary for the EU of the time, assuming that was part of it.

I'm not Dark Horse's biggest fan, (Killing off Tales? WTH?) but who else in the comic industry do you see being able to take a whack at SW? As much as I would love to see DC/Vertigo take a whack at the GFFA, I don't think it's meant to be.

3. Rohniss

Rohniss Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2005
    Look at Marvel and DC's continuity in thier works.. Do you REALLY want that to come over here? they cant even keep thier own franchises straight do you think they would do any better for SW?

EDIT:
    And Bantam (and WEG) losing thier liscences are some of the worst thing to ever happen to SW

4. Vong_Killer

Vong_Killer Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 22, 2001
    I just don't wanna see DH mess it up w/ these new ongoings. Empire was pretty crappy, and I'm betting Rebellion will as well.

Republic finished off real well, but let's be honost here, back whn it was still called SW ongoing, it was a little shakey at times.

V_K

5. Cull_Tremayne

Cull_Tremayne Jedi Master star 2

Jun 27, 2005
    I actually think that Dark Horse is the most deserving of all the companies with the "Star Wars License". At least they seem to be on the pulse of the fans. A KOTOR series? Heck yeah!

Right, but do we really need another comic company experiencing the same growing pains? I say no.

6. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Also, wasn't Bantam bought out by some other publishing company?

7. Rohniss

Rohniss Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2005
    the Same one that owns Del Rey I believe.. Ballantine?

8. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Easy answer:

Marvel=Crap
    Dark Horse=Great Stuff

Dark Horse is doing the best job anyone could do at manifesting star wars physcially, with great artists (My fave: Jan Duursema, she's the best artist) and great organization (meh)

9. BobaKareu

BobaKareu Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 24, 2005
    Hey now, I'm a big fan of Dark Horse. But Marvel = crap? Far from it. Especially considering how much it introduced to the EU (i.e. shipyards of Fondor, a ton of other stuff I can't think of at the moment). I just recently got all the TPB's, and I'm absolutely loving it. It's campy, and a ton of fun at the same time.

Dark Horse has (for the most part) outstanding visuals. Some of the storylines are "eh," but for the most part I've found them quite intriguing. Marvel doesn't have the same eye candy going for it, but it sure had a way of telling some fantastic stories. Tell me that you didn't feel really sad at the end of "The First and Last Kiss of Jollie." It was so sad!

But while Vertigo actually would be an awesome choice to see where it would go with it (gritty stuff for post-RotS?) it wouldn't represent SW in the way that Dark Horse has faithfully done.

10. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    You said it! :)

11. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    You=Wrong :)

I don't think there is anyone really to take it. I can't see Marvel or DC taking a low-sales franchise where they have little editorial control and don't get much by way of profits. Marvel just signed Stephen King to do a Dark Tower comic, that is huge. Star Wars would be outsold by most of their stuff, and make less money.

Image is the only other company really, and they are creator owned stuff. I doubt they'd go for it.

Dark Horse is doing fine, and it's a good company to be with IMO.

12. Fingolfin_Noldor

Fingolfin_Noldor Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2004
    They haven't done a unique blockbuster style kind of comic since Crimson Empire though.

Was hoping for one of those, but it seems that Post ROTJ seem to be out of bounds.

13. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    Perhaps I was too harsh on Marvel, what I meant was that, although certain concepts and background it introduced were alright (or great whatever) the stories themeselves were too original "batman"-ish, like "kapow" and "boom". They were made for an audience of that time and don't really give the feel that is Star Wars. I understand some of you have those memories and that is why you are extremely loyal to them. But there comes a time when something better comes along. And a comic is 50% visuals 50% story, and I much prefer lots of the Dark Horse stories.

The only way I would see it fair that Dark Horse leave star wars would be if GL created a comic company himself, but I'd rather he don't.

14. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    What are the actual sales numbers for Star Wars. If they were that low I doubt even DH would want to keep paying for the license.

Image has done "non-owned" stuff before. They did TMNT for a while. I think they were planning to do BSG before Liefeld left and did it with his own Maximum Press company later. Also, didn't they do GI Joe and/or Transformers for a while?

15. BobaKareu

Feb 24, 2005
    "And a comic is 50% visuals 50% story"

Tell that to Frank Miller.

16. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    Now there's a guy who'd do a great Star Wars story, if for no other reason than (at least IMHO) he's incapable of doing anything not-great. At least comic-wise.

I could see him doing a post-ROTS comic set on Coruscant. He'd be right at home.

17. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Tell that to Frank Miller.

The man who wrote Ronin.

Yes, I'd say he would be fully 90% visual, 10% story.

Visual is not necessarily an insult.

18. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I think Dsd is doing a great job.

19. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    DH are doing fine. Not only do they have a strong series of titles, they also have - and this is important - a real strong presence in the fandom and a real good rapport with the fans.

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    DHC has done some spectacular work with the license- the quality is far and away light years better than the camp Marvel cranked out.

Sure, Empire had a run of about 9 terrible issues, but those were bracketed by solid arcs and one-shots. Even Republic, which arguably was near-flawless once it hit the Clone Wars, had a couple bad arcs in it's first 48 issues. Obsession, though perhaps anti-climactic, was a success. The Jedi series was flawless. And we had some decent to solid miniseries prior to the Clone Wars launch with Open Seasons, Darth Maul and Jedi vs Sith.

Quite frankly, General Grievous miniseries aside, anyone else would take things downhill from what we've gotten from DHC in recent years.

>>Especially considering that DH seems to contimually create and then destroy their ongoings recently. Rougue Squadron, Tales, Empire, and Republic have all come to an end, what are the chances that KotOR, Rebellion and this new X-Wing series are gonna even last?<<

Well, of all those only Rogue Squadron ended prematurely (and, perhaps, Tales, but then Tales was already on the decline, so by time Barlow's magic run hit that, it was too late to save it).

Republic has a natural end (since, ya know, there's no more Republic in the storyline) and Rebellion is an official continuation of the Empire series, so Empire never really ended.

The new X-Wing series is only a 3 issue miniseries, not an ongoing, so there was never any intention for it to "last", though I imagine if sales were good there'd be hope for a followup miniseries.

So they've hardly destroyed ongoings "continually". The last one that was was like 7 or 8 years ago.

21. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Not read All Star Batman & Robin? :)

From the November sales estimates (And the estimates are always low):

#100 Star Wars Republic 79 $2.99 Dark Horse 20,900
    #107 Star Wars X-Wing Rogue Leader 2 $2.99 Dark Horse 19,800
    #112 Star Wars Empire 37 $2.99 Dark Horse 19,400

They are remarkably steady titles, pretty much all selling the same month in and month out, and outside of Conan are Dark Horses' best selling books.

22. BobaKareu

Feb 24, 2005
    Charle - Well, I was mostly referring to his Batman arcs. I don't think he draws Batman right at all, but mentally, he's quite possibly the only writer who can actually GET Batman. And even Sin City, with its black and white nitty-gritty leaves something more to be desired, and it is the writing, the soul, that gives it the added punch in the chest. Without a doubt, he's one of the best writers in the comic world in the last two decades.

Not that I'm saying he sucks as an artist, it's just that I'm not a big fan of that particular style he draws in.

23. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    >>>Easy answer:

Marvel=Crap
    Dark Horse=Great Stuff

Dark Horse is doing the best job anyone could do at manifesting star wars physcially, with great artists (My fave: Jan Duursema, she's the best artist) and great organization (meh) <<<

Jan worked on the Marvel Star Wars series too. ;)

24. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    Oh really? Thats interesting, could you tell me which issues? I guess I was a bit judgemental, but I do prefer Darkhorse nonetheless.

25. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    Only one issue, as I recall. And that doesn't mean that the story was good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.