main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bantam invasion storyline: The compilation

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ive_Got_Two_Legs, Feb 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    All right, like the Pre-AOTC Clone Wars thread I started a few months ago, this is to compile a list of all known information (heck, even rumors) about what the Bantam invasion storyline that eventually became the NJO would be like. Props go to TMcE for bringing this up to my mind once more after being curious about it for so long.

What I remember is:
    -Was hinted at in Crimson Empire II and the Hand of Thrawn
    -The setup was apparently going to continue in the cancelled Crimson Empire III
    -Definitely a rumor of water-based creatures
    -Dark Jedi from the Unknown Regions were to be the villains?

From TMcE:

And if there's a thread that's pre-existing on this topic (I semi-half-remember actually starting one a long time ago, but I have no idea if that's made up or not) then post a link and I'll happily be on my way.

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    The Dark Horse Invasion plot was Crimson Empire III not Bantam.

3. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Jul 18, 2005
    This is for the pre-NJO invasion arc in general, since I do believe they were one and the same (as McEwok points out).

4. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Hence Nom Anor.

5. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I know and given that Crimson Empire was 20 odd years in the past from the original Invasion timeline, I don't think they were related at all.

6. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Jul 18, 2005
    They'd be as related as CE was with the current NJO - as in still introducing Nom Anor and the YV attempts to destabilize the galaxy.

7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I don't think Nom Anor was intended to be part of it before NJO-Del Ray's involvement.

8. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Nom Anor was set to be part of DH's story, which had nothing to do with Bantam or Del Rey. When the contract for the books was given to DR, LFL also gave them the NJO storyline. DH didn't like the way they were taking it and opted out of it.

9. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I guess that's pretty consistent with the fact that he technically wasn't Nom Anor until the NJO. That is to say, he's unnamed in the comics, and only identified in Vector Prime.

At the same time, the content of wild_karrde's post, unless I'm missing something, does not necessarily mean what he seems to be implying it does...or...hm...what was DH's story and what was Bantam's?

10. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    >>>I guess that's pretty consistent with the fact that he technically wasn't Nom Anor until the NJO. That is to say, he's unnamed in the comics, and only identified in Vector Prime. <<<

No, he's called Nom Anor in Crimson Empire II.

11. Zee Zee

Zee Zee Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 19, 1999
    Ive_Got_Two_Legs wrote:
    What I remember is:
    -Was hinted at in Crimson Empire II and the Hand of Thrawn
    -The setup was apparently going to continue in the cancelled Crimson Empire III
    -Definitely a rumor of water-based creatures
    -Dark Jedi from the Unknown Regions were to be the villains?

Tell me more.... can you expand on any of these?
    I didn't know any of this.

12. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Oh really? I'll have to look at it again. According to the wiki article he's not identified as Nom Anor until NJO. Someone should fix that.

::finger on nose:: Not it.

13. JediLaw

JediLaw Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2001
    Can anyone post proof?

14. Zee Zee

Zee Zee Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 19, 1999
    Yes, Xandel Carivus refers to Nom Anor at least twice in CEII

edit:
    I would post scans but I don't want to crease my copy of CEII
    so it's:

Richardson, M., 1999, Crimson Empire II: Council of Blood (1st ed.), London, Titan Books, p.123/138

15. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Jul 18, 2005
    I'm sure other people could do better but:

-Hand of Thrawn mentions the "unknown terrors" beyond the galaxy that Thrawn was preparing for, and CEII of course introduces Nom.
    -CEIII was the follow-up to CEII and was apparently going to continue that fragment of plotline.
    -There was a rumor that the not-Vong were going to be water-based beings like the creature from The Abyss, though I believe this was proved false.
    -They were originally going to be Dark Jedi/lost Sith, just like the Vong apparently were going to be.

16. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Clarify?

17. sithlord-3

sithlord-3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2005
    whatever it would have been, it still would have been way better than the vong!!

18. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Outbound Flight Spoliers
    Zahn has made the threat Thrawn talked about the Yuuzhan Vong.

19. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Jul 18, 2005
    Yes, I know. And?

And Boba, I mean what I said: apparently the Vong were originally going to be exiled Sith.

20. Coonsan

Coonsan Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 3, 2003
    I think what some of the people posting on here don't understand is what Two_Legs is referring to, is the fact that Bantam/DArk Horse were obviously working together to make an invasion storyline, like the NJO. When the sale happened, Del Rey took the clues and whatever hints there were in previous storys, and made the NJO. What the discussion is what exactly was the Bantam Invasion Arc all about. If I read correctly that is.

21. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Jul 18, 2005
    That's it. Glad someone got it, it didn't seem that confusing to me.

22. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Well we got it, but the problem seems to be that some people seem to believe that DH and Bantam were not collaborating at all.

23. _ViE_AcheRoN_

_ViE_AcheRoN_ Jedi Youngling star 3

May 3, 2003
    >>Outbound Flight Spoliers
    Zahn has made the threat Thrawn talked about the Yuuzhan Vong.<<

I think that's what Luke surmised in one of the Dark Tide books as well.

But didn't Dark Journey say the Chiss had never encountered the Vong before?

24. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    I think that the invaders were planned to be "energy based creatures" who are far less human-like in form than the Vong. Don't ask me for a source on that, tho, because you'd be asking me to go back several years into the internet history. [face_hypnotized]

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I have a very hazy recollection that CE3 was going to focus on Kanos investigating the cabal that Carivus headed, that he hears rumours of a shadowy figure behind the scenes. He pursues Nom Anor and finds he is much more than he thought. Kanos is probably killed by Anor. There was also some thinking he might go after Luke since Luke betrayed the Emperor as well. Setting would have been after the HoT.

JB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.