main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

barring non-banned users from games?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Axle-Starweilder, Nov 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    this has recently come up at the jedi draft in the swc and i've been wondering: at what capacity are the mods allowed to keep users from playing games? if they aren't banned how does that violate the TOS? isn't it more of a violation to keep them from playing?

i was under the impression that bans were dispensed to handle trouble, but then when lifted the users would be allowed to post or play as usual.

what's the exact policy on all of this?

2. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Sometimes moderators are nice and say "You can be unbanned, but you have to stay out of this thread." Mods basically can do whatever they feel is best for their forum, and that inculdes weird situations like that. Of course, if the moderator was out of line, you could talk to an admin... but if the user has a history of being a problem in a game thread, and the options are very long bans or a short ban and barring the user from the thread, the second option sure is nicer :)

3. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I agree. I guess you can say it's sort of a loose restraining order. However, I've not seen that used a lot as of late.

4. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    I agree with droideka. If someone is being a nuisance in a game thread, asking them to stay out the thread would be a good idea, besides if it came to that it's on the user's shoulders.

5. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    From my knowledge none of the people in question were banned for anything that happened in that game.

But since it was Strilo's call it would probably be best to ask him why he made that choice, maybe he had other reasons in mind. I am not saying I agree with the decision, but I don't know all the circumstances and there is not much I can do about it anyway.

6. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    Moderators can do anything they wish, even make users disappear.

7. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002

you are so cool.

Are you sure you weren't being a pester in the thread Axle? Just a little bit maybe?

8. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001

Actually, I heard about this one guy that that was done to, and . . . wait, what are you . . . no, no, honest, I didn't mean it . . . no, serio

//banned

9. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    The users were barred from the game for previous histories of stirring up many problems in other versions of the Draft. Apparently I did not bar enough people, as the drama continued. Thus the draft is now locked and this thread is somewhat moot. Axle in the future I would appreciate you coming to me first before starting a thread in Comms. That is after all the way it's supposed to be done.

10. Axle-Starweilder

Jan 6, 2005
    well strilo, i suppose you're right. i should'nt have gone over your helmet. but i wanted to get a larger idea of how other mods would've dealt with this situation.

but since the draft is now locked i suppose none of that matters. couldn't trouble users have just been issued warnings or bannings directly related to their grievances? barring regular players from the game and shutting the entire game down again seem a bit excessive. clearly the users aren't learning from these meathods.

11. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    Another option is just getting rid of the game... but I doubt THAT would make you happy either. Most mod "disciplin decisions" are not popular, so you just have to sort of deal with it.

12. Axle-Starweilder

Jan 6, 2005
    but the vast majority of people that are forced to "deal with this" are ones that had little or absolutely nothing to do with it. most players are just bystanders that get their game shut down due to the actions of one or two other posters.

i have yet to find another game thread that has been dealt with in this manner.

13. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    most players are just bystanders that get their game shut down due to the actions of one or two other posters.

But the method of barring people from the game seems to take care of that quite nicely.......

14. Axle-Starweilder

Jan 6, 2005
    that would be true if the draft were still open. however, it's closed again. the tactics employed to curb bad behaviours here don't seem to be working very well.

15. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    Locking the thread seems to do the job... Unfortunatly we can't play the game any longer

A couple users just get out of control, while 90 percent of participants watch as the game gets locked :(

16. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    This is what I would have done. I've barred people from threads before because they were being problem users.

17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    As have I, obviously. I am not sure about having a game with 6+ people barred from playing. Seems a bit silly to me.

18. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    But it's a game with almost thirty people involved... Not to mention that if six problem users were removed from the game, their slots would be quickly filled with new players. New players who might be more willing to learn rather than shout or moan about the authorities

Just my opinion

19. Zonama_Mekot

Zonama_Mekot Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 25, 2004
    While on the topic of the locking of the draft thread, I wanted to bring something up. These "drama"-causing people basically said they were not participating in the draft because people they wanted to play with were not involved. This was essentially the only discussion on this topic, and figuring out who would take the places of those who werent participating. Unless I missed something I don't see how 2 people dropping out could be classified as "continuing drama".

20. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I saw fit to lock the thread. The level of drama, angry PMs and moderating I have had to do over this Draft thing in the last year or two is just staggering. It's not worth the disruption to the forum or the amount of time as a moderator I had to spend on it. This is what got the Draft locked early last time and put on a three month break. Then after three months of cool-down, within a DAY and 13 PAGES we have more drama, flaming and baiting? No way should it stay open. It's just too much of a problem.

There was also flaming and baiting that went on... a user was banned, several others were warned. Oh and I had people quoting the flame and posting [face_laugh] in reply to it, which keeps the drama going and could also be considered baiting. This constitutes continuing drama, as this behaviour is the same stuff that got the Draft locked early last time and put on a three month hiatus. Remember, this is a repeating pattern. The Draft this time was already on thin ice and Stryphe and I were to watch it carefully. If this stuff had happened a month into the game or towards the end, it would have been different. But this was within a DAY or two of starting the thing!

21. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Agreed.

Now, respectfully, I can't seem to wrap my mind around the claim that the infractions in this game can create a devastating amount of work for a moderator of a message board, yeah, you occasionally get some heated discussion, but, as on other boards, you deal with it on a user-by-user basis. This is like kicking everyone out of a party because one person did something stupid, and a few people laughed. The fun is being sucked out of this forum over minor rules infractions leading to overreactions by the supervisors of a Star Wars board, whose sole purpose is to entertain fans.

22. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    The fun is being sucked out of the forum because one game is locked?

As for how much work it is, I would go through it all, but I don't wanna spend hours researching it all. Just for this recent bout of drama and locking the thread I have received probably 40 PMs in two days. There were times that sifting through a thread that moves as fast as the draft in order to research a complaint (that I got 10 PMs about) took literally a few HOURS. Then once I took action, I had to deal with debates from the users banned, their friends and all. If you choose not to believe this then that's your call, but I have no reason to lie about this. Plenty of other games in the SWC forum work just fine most of the time. When they don't some work from me gets them right back on track. The Draft is the only game with this history of problems, thus it's an easy decision to cut it completely.

23. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Now, the participation in the game speaks for itself, as you've said, 13 pages in 2 days.
    The Jedi Draft, far and away, is the most popular game and thread on the SWC, so yes, when the whip comes down on everyone because one person makes an ignorant comment (and even invited you to ban him completely) in the Jedi Draft, it takes the fun out of the only real reason many of us visit the SWC boards regularly.

As for the workload, banning the individual offenders takes care of that quickly, I can assure you that neither I nor most of my fellow players in the Draft wake up each morning saying, "Hmm, how can we make Strilo's day miserable, how can we cause disruption and chaos?" We like the game because it's fun, and when one person who wanted to be banned messes up, it ruins it for the rest of us. Life's not fair, but this isn't life, its a Star Wars forum for people to have fun playing games and discussing.

EDIT: Removed inappropriate comment.

24. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Your last comment is baiting and not acceptable.

Now, the participation in the game speaks for itself, as you've said, 13 pages in 2 days.
    The Jedi Draft, far and away, is the most popular game and thread on the SWC, so yes, when the whip comes down on everyone because one person makes an ignorant comment (and even invited you to ban him completely) in the Jedi Draft, it takes the fun out of the only real reason many of us visit the SWC boards regularly.

Actually I think overall the Jedi Trials and the Galactic Senate games are far more popular. And again it was more than one person. I DID NOT lock the Draft because one person flamed another. I locked it because of the actions of several people and because the thread had JUST come off a three month break due to behaviour JUST like this. How can I say this more clearly?

25. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    That's all, it appears that simple human logic plays no part compared to being an "almighty" moderator on a Star Wars internet message board, so it's pointless to argue, I suppose.

That really is a crass overgeneralization. Disagreeing with you does not constitute a violation of human logic any more than you disagreeing with Tim or me constitutes a violation of human logic.

You disagree with the call; fine, that happens. That does not translate into your infallibility, nor does it render the reasoning invalid; nor does it give you license to bait a moderator.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.