main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Barriss Offee

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kablob, Sep 21, 2014.

1. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Don't think you got my point.

With the never ending stream of new movies (and I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually start getting two movies a year) and at least two new TV shows in the works, most of the publishing material will be directly tied to movies and TV series from now on, with an occasional tie in to some video game.

Even your example was originally a prequel novel to Thrawn's appearance in Rebels. Without Thrawn appearing in that show, we would probably never got Zahn writing more canon Thrawn novels.

However if Barriss appears in some other media, I can see her getting a novel.

2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Well it still bothers me that after such a dramatic ending to her character in TCW, there was hardly much closure to it. I know I could be wrong, but I just can't see how Palpatine would simply let her rot in prison or just terminate her while knowing she could be of more use to him against the Jedi.

kalzeth likes this.
  3. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Yes but you need to remember that was all before the show got cancelled. They finished working on season 5 even before there would have been a whiff that Lucas was planning on selling.

Filoni carried a lot of plot lines over from TCW to Rebels. Bariss may have been one of the things he decided against carrying over though because it is easy enough just to assume she was killed in prison during order 66.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  4. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    I don't really have to remember anything, since neither of us is stating a factual position, we both have the same information, one of us is being pessimistic based on that information and one of us is being optimistic based on that information.

5. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Considering we on this thread aren't sure where to go with her character, maybe Palpatine himself didn't know what to do with her and did leave her to rot in prison. I know that's hard to believe since he usually knows everything. But the man has a galaxy to run, and honestly "What do I do with Barriss Offee?" probably wasn't very high on his list of Emperor priorities.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  6. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I'm pretty sure Darth Vader paid a visit to her prison sooner or later and had a quick chat with her that ended in her being out of breath. Permanently.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

7. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    It's all hypothetical at this point. The one thing to consider was that while Palpatine was grooming Anakin to be his eventual apprentice, he could just have easily recruited and sent Barriss on missions to cause a little bit of havoc on the warfront; maybe even invite a bounty hunter like Bane to break her out of prison.

kalzeth likes this.
  8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yeah -- and Filoni said in the post-episode interview that they had entertained multiple scenarios, including killing her, which they supposedly came very close to doing.

What I suspect happened -- just suspicion -- is that they considered using her in Rebels, but Disney wanted them to be careful because the Barriss plot had too many weird real-world parallels that were sending absolutely the wrong message (religious non-white suicide bombing student... good effing grief...). She was probably the original Seventh Sister, but the plot went elsewhere early during production.

I also suspect Filoni and co. have a plan to bring her back at this point, even if it's not concrete. And my bet is it's not a book, but something related to the next series, and very possibly tied to why Luke was so negative about the Old Republic Jedi.

Jedi Princess likes this.
  9. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Whatever plans Filoni had for Barriss, one scenario for me has always been that she had been replaced with an imposter and she would later be rescued by Luminara Unduli (who if you'll note was absent from all background shots during that arc in Season 5 - coincidence?)

kalzeth likes this.
  10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Well from Rebels we do know about Luminara's fate at least.

11. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I suspect, and it's also just suspicion, that your suspicion is correct.

I'd even further suspect that the change happened damned late in the game, so late that they were stuck with a 7S who was even the same species as Barriss and only had time to re-skin the facial markings of their model. Even so, early guesses about the character were that she was Barriss, and her turning out not to be wasn't a twist, but just kinda... weird.

12. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    If Seventh Sister was originally meant to be Barriss, then the Showdown on Takobo would have meant a lot more, as both and her and Ahsoka would have had a history.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

13. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Very possible Barriss was indeed the original Seventh Sister. Sarah Michelle Geller could have been a last minute alternative plan as a voice actor since she is Freddie's wife.

Still though the Seventh Sister we did get had a lot more of a charming/sexual/flirtatious presence (whatever you want to call it) than Barriss likely would have. Both Luminari and Barriss from TCW seemed to have very reserved personalities while the Seventh Sister from Rebels definitely did not. And the animation seemed to fit that unreserved personality.

I know they easily could have changed the dialogue but could they also of changed much of the animations to fit that new dialogue if the change was late in the process?

kalzeth likes this.
  14. FiveFireRings

Nov 26, 2017
    Hard to say. I mean, they would have locked down the model to a pretty specific degree before they started animating; the animation starts with temp voices on the story reels as we've seen... the change, if there was one, could have gone down any number of ways.

IF our suspicions are correct, it would be interesting to know why. Did the character just end up acting (I agree) too differently from Barriss, and thus the change, or did other plans for Barriss intervene? Maybe resolving Asokha and Barriss's arcs was judged as taking time away from the central narrative to resolve just one dangling TCW thread too many? The "sensitivity to real world issues" is a possibility too.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  15. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    I'd like to see them expand the Forces of Destiny idea a bit - allow for longer episodes and tackle these sort of loose ends. They've already ventured into stuff that I didn't expect them to (Ahsoka knowing about Anakin and Padme's trysts.) This would be a good, low-cost way to handle this without all the hand-wringing about Ahsoka grabbing attention from someone else's story.

16. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Forces of Destiny are aimed at extremely young kids (kids that are probably too young to even watch the movies in many cases). Them showing Ahsoka learning of Anakin and Padme's relationship isn't near the same as bombing and terrorist plots.

17. FiveFireRings

Nov 26, 2017
    Say what you will about Barriss, but the choices she made did shape her into a force of destiny.

18. Fallen Jedi Master

Fallen Jedi Master Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2017
    I mean it's possible. I just always thought it was weird how it was a mere coincidence that they made Seventh Sister the same species as Barriss and she even gets a Duel with Ashoka?

I never understood Filoni's comments at the time of the season about how Barriss being a Inquisitor wouldn't fit her character. Despite saying that her speech lead to the fall of the future Grand Inquisitor. Like it wouldn't fit her character yet somebody who was inspired by her speech ends up becoming the head of the Inquisitors? Also when we see that hologram of Luminara before her execution she looks at her unseen executioner with a look that I can't see her giving to Vader or The Grand Inquisitor. So I always thought Floni's comments were odd about that. I do wonder how much of that is just Floni not wanting to reveal that they thought about it at one point.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

19. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Well, it'd be ironic if the post ROTS webcomic with her and Padawans ends up leading into the other webcomic where Palpatine and Vader round up former Padawans to start the Inquisitors training with them.

Jedi tried to redeem her after all then but... it did not stick and she joined the Empire. One could, if clever enough, tie it to Last of the Jedi books with Ferus Olin infiltrating and becoming an Inquisitor but working for the good from the inside. Imagine him and Barriss teaming up between the lines?

Imagine what if Barriss was the Inquisitor that brought in Luminara, given we saw her fate in Rebels!

Fallen Jedi Master likes this.
  20. CosmoHender

CosmoHender Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2016
    I actually had a similar idea once about Barriss becoming an Inquisitor but working for the good from the inside. Basically, my idea is that Barriss as an Inquisitor secretly sabotaged their efforts to hunt down Jedi survivors while helping said survivors escape. Though in my headcanon it wasn't long before she was found out...

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  21. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    So maybe Luminara sacrificed herself to her willingly to make her story believeable and cover up her undercover work?

22. CosmoHender

CosmoHender Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2016
    Well, in the Duel of the Fates roleplay that I did with @Sinrebirth part of the backstory for Barriss in that game is that after her sabotage efforts were exposed Vader cut off her arm and she was imprisoned in the Spire where she was tortured. Luminara actually rescued Barriss, but was captured in the process and was then executed by the Grand Inquisitor. She died so that Barriss could live, something that haunted Barriss throughout the roleplay.

Vialco and Sinrebirth like this.
  23. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Fact is Vader did not like Inquisitors, he took them as a slight against him and his role alongside his Master. He and looked for reasons to kill them or maim them. The Grand Inquisitor's motivation for joining the Sith was not Bariss from the comicbook according to his dialogue with the librarian Jedi Nu - and their creation was something Sidious designed well before Anakin joined him likely going back as early as to "children of the Jedi".

Bariss serving alongside Vader would never make any sense and they'd have to ignore certain character traits of the Sith and Vader in particular. And on top of that even less so, if Ahsoka did take Vader up on his Malachor offer and joined him to be among the ranks of the Inquisitors and she finds out Bariss is there too. And if someone as powerful as Filoni was making Ahsoka, then the Emperor would've even turned his sights on her and Vader would have to duel her too to prove his worth - or Sidious would give an order to Vader like he did with Dooku to kill Ventress cause she was becoming too powerful and a threat to him. So if someone as powerful as Bariss was seen becoming on TCW, she would be threat to him as a Sith Lord if she was an Inquisitor or Hand or whatever serving the Emperor.

24. Fallen Jedi Master

Fallen Jedi Master Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2017
    What are you talking about? It has been specially stated that the Grand Inquisitor turn to the dark side started after he heard Barriss speech.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

25. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Its never mentioned in-universe anything about Barriss's speech. The Grand Inquisitor's dialogue and motives had nothing to do with Barriss' rant in the Marvel comic alone . Nothing in her speech regardless implies that Barriss would join up with the Sith or that somehow the Sith were right for any Jedi to become a Sith servant.

Its simply two key factors found and mentioned in Ultimate Star New Edition that Grand Inquisitor primarily detested Chief Librarian Jocasta Nu for blocking him from having full access to the Archives and a later disillusionment of the Jedi treatment of both Ahsoka and Barriss during the military trial where he served as one of the guards.

Nu's dialogue states she never believed he was ready for the Archive and turned him and others like him away. The GI also explained his deep-rooted contempt and hatred that the Jedi took him when he was young, he never felt at ease among the Jedi, that he never felt right. He was denied several times access to the Archives by Nu whom he really hated cause he felt Nu by denying him access to the Archive was a personal insult since this was where he felt he could find his peace and his place among the Jedi. He never really liked being a Jedi is what it boils down to, he wanted more knowledge and power & recognition like Dooku or Anakin and others that.

His other dialogue specifically mentions that Sidious himself took notice of him and personally selected him and believed in his abilities to lead the Inquisitors in his titled role. So Sidious set his eyes on types of Jedi like the GI.