main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Barriss Offee's Costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by picciami, Oct 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sakara

Sakara Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 8, 2005
    I found a bolt of curtain fabric that was going cheap! it was a textrued chenille in a slate grey. it had the right kind of sheen and weight to it.I found anything lighter didnt have the weight or strength to carry the rigid hood.

2. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    Eep. After I posted that, I realized that the posts above mine were about the cape fabric. [face_blush] This is why I shouldn't try and post during school. :p

Let me try this again, now that I've read what you guys said before. :p What was the basic color of the fabric you guys were looking for for the cape? When I was browsing through, I was looking for either a dark blue or gray or blue-purple or something.

3. Padawan_Tai-lin

Padawan_Tai-lin Jedi Youngling

Jul 13, 2005
    Hi everyone!

Sorry I've been away for awhile. Been very busy! All your costumes look super!!

I'm still working on my cloak and found the closet thing to be a royal purple velvet (full acetate). And after lots of research I've discovered that the pattern on Barriss's cloak is alot like Giraffe skin or print pattern. I did a Google search for "giraffe print rubber stamp" and found this website for California Paper Goods that sells the 4" X 5" stamp. You girls have to see this thing! It is so close to Barriss's cloak pattern. The design is deep etched so when you velvet emboss, what is left is the design while the outline is embossed! Very much like Barriss's cloak! In the light you get a slight "bluish-purple" look. Very lovely.

To emboss, place the velvet right side down (fuzzy side down) on ironing board, on top of the rubber stamp. Lightly water spray the fabric from the top and place iron on the fabric on the lowest setting. Count for 20 seconds and gently lift off the velvet from the stamp and the design will be embossed :)

Also, I've discovered that Nalini wore a lycra/stretch long-sleeved knit jumpsuit with ribbing. I found the pattern at Hancock called "Kwik Sew" # 2004. I'm using pattern B. If you look at the top Barriss wears there is a princess cut on the front. This pattern will have to be slightly modified if you like.

About the cloak, the pattern I used in from "Simplicity" # 5794 Pattern C. And I found a good pattern for the skirt, "Simplicity" #4753 Pattern F.

I'll post some pics when I can! My laptop I use to post pics is still down. I'm still working on my muslin for the cape. I have been able to get my Ben Nye makeup (Whoohoo!), brown 3" leather belt, and blue contacts (to cover my brownies!)

See ya!

4. Queen_Apailana

Queen_Apailana Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2005
    i am useing a navy crushed velvet it does not look just like the real one but in my piont of view fairly close

5. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    Padawan_Tai-Lin, looks like you?re doing great. I looked up the stamp from California paper goods and it indeed looks very close to Barriss her cloak pattern! Thank you so much for that!

6. Queen_Apailana

Jun 12, 2005
    Almost done with inside of costume still got to add seams to top, paint the buckle and hem the skirt but beside that done.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/queen_apailana_of_naboo/detail?.dir=4acf&.dnm=666d.jpg

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/queen_apailana_of_naboo/detail?.dir=4acf&.dnm=fd5e.jpg&.src=ph

What do you think?

7. Sakara

Jun 8, 2005
    Studying the images id go for a slate bluey grey colour.

8. MasterKyree

MasterKyree Jedi Youngling

Oct 5, 2005
    hey im new at this so bear with me.
    im trying to make a barriss costum (no kidding) and im having trouble with the hood. do you or anyone else have the actual pattern to make the hood go around the neck? because it covers more than just a hooded cape would.
    thanks

9. Sakara

Jun 8, 2005
    The way i did it was to make the cloak as normal, but extend the upper edges(where youd put the clasp) to make flaps that clip under the hood(this becomes the wrap around effect), then make a seperate piece of fabric to clip inside the hood and wrap around the neck,to act as the high neck.
    does that make any sense?:)

10. AnkleBiter

AnkleBiter Jedi Youngling

Oct 6, 2005
    testing...

11. AnkleBiter

AnkleBiter Jedi Youngling

Oct 6, 2005
    [image=http://members.shaw.ca/mprange/steffsigcopy.jpg]

12. MasterKyree

MasterKyree Jedi Youngling

Oct 5, 2005
    yes that does.
    thank you so much Sakara!
    cant wait to make it!

13. Padawan_Tai-lin

Jul 13, 2005
    Well, I read in an interview with Nalini that the cloak was a purple fabric. I'm using a royal purple velvet that I am embossing. If you've seen the Barriss 12" doll, the cloak is purple as well. I wish I could post pics of what I'm doing! My other pc is down and this one is too old! Check out HotPotatoes.com and Sewnews.com (search under "embossing velvet). They have great pictures of what the velvet looks like when embossed. But you have to use rayon or a blend of rayon/acetate. The other kinds won't take up the embossing.

I used a pattern for a winter jacket for the hood. An experienced friend of mine helped me draw out an 18" x 22" pattern. I found it in the new issue of "Threads" magazine. The front has a straight edge. And I attached a 6" wide piece to this edge and put in a piece of thick felt inside to help it stay firm. You will have to measure how far out you need the hood to come from out from your nose.

14. amazonqueen16

amazonqueen16 Jedi Youngling

Oct 6, 2003
    alrighty I finally got my pics up!! Check them out!!! Click http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/amazon_queen16/album?.dir=/5acd

15. Queen_Apailana

Jun 12, 2005
    beatuful costume love how you did it

16. Queen_Apailana

Jun 12, 2005
    omg panic i could not find ribbed fabric for the top does nay one have any idea what to use instead

17. Padawan_Tai-lin

Jul 13, 2005
    I found a black rayon/poly blend fabric that had small biege strips in it with lots of stretch. It looks like it's ribbed. If it's not cold where you are you can use a thin fabric. I live in Florida and I have a feeling it might be hot on the 31st.

18. Queen_Apailana

Jun 12, 2005
    thanks I am going to use a black sweater the ribbing is all wrong but it will keep me warm in the cold tundra I call michigan lol but thanks

19. Padawan_Tai-lin

Jul 13, 2005
    You're welcome! I promise to post pics this weekend for all of you.

20. CodeName_Vampire

CodeName_Vampire Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2004
    Yes! I finished my costume in time for Halloween! THe only thing I did not get done was the belt buckle, but I can do that later in my spare time. I've been keeping notes of what I've been doing the whole time so I'll post those and pictures later or tomorrow. :)

21. Marmida

Marmida Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 22, 2004
    Hi!
    I started to make Barriss barbie-doll costume. Today I made the cloack and maybe later this week I'll do the 'dress' and belt. I'm still not sure should I paint the dolls face. The doll is my only blackhaired one... :(
    I'll put some pics of the doll in the costume as I finish making it.

Marmida

22. Queen_Apailana

Jun 12, 2005
    You could just use a regular 12in doll in the cotume there is a tiny hood that covers her hair so you can use any color hair the official barriss 12in doll has no hair.

23. Queen_Apailana

Jun 12, 2005
    These are early photos (sorry for the bad lighting), I have not don't my make-up yet also I could not fing fabric for the sweater so I used one of my old ones.
    [image=http://us.a1.yahoofs.com/users/433ec866z18badaf4/4acf/__sr_/504f.jpg]

A close up of the hodd the back looks weird I know.
    [image=http://us.a1.yahoofs.com/users/433ec866z18badaf4/4acf/__sr_/be5c.jpg]

Don't I look like my cat, lol.
    [image=http://us.a1.yahoofs.com/users/433ec866z18badaf4/4acf/__sr_/796f.jpg]
    So what do you think, anything that I could fix tonight?

Srry I can not get my photos to show

I cannot get the image thing to work so here is the link to my pictures tell me what you think.
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/queen_apailana_of_naboo/album?.dir=4acf&.src=ph

24. Padawan_Tai-lin

Jul 13, 2005
    Your costume looks great Queen!! I entered Rebelscum's costume contest as well.

Here is my pic as I promised before...

http://www.rebelscum.com/halloween/2005/image114.asp

Please check out some other photos of the 501st in Tampa volunteering for the One Man Star Wars show....it was great!!! I was so happy that I got to volunteer, too!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audreytoo/sets/1275558/

25. Queen_Apailana

Jun 12, 2005
    You look amazing also I love how you set up your picture

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.