main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Barriss Offee's Costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by picciami, Oct 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amazonqueen16

amazonqueen16 Jedi Youngling

Oct 6, 2003
    How many diamonds do you have on your stencil? I think she has 22 but I'm not sure about that or the design.

2. iycis

iycis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    I thought it was only 20. I could be wrong. But it looks close enough.

3. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    I'm debuting my Barriss costume at MidSouthCon this weekend, but I'm still stumped about make-up colors. (Nothing like waiting until the last minute. [face_blush]) Her tattoos/nails/lips look black, blue, or purple depending on the photo and/or lighting.

My shirt & skirt are black and the cloak is midnight blue with a silver/grey geometric design and a tiny bit of purple. I wanted to mirror the midnight blue with the make-up, but I can't find a dark enough blue for the lipstick. (One of our FanForce guys is a graphic artist and is going to airbrush the tattoos on using a stencil and can do any color for them.)

Would black tattoos/nails/lips look strange? Purple colors seem to be easier to find, but they are usually too light.

Thanks for any ideas!!

4. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    It is Dark Purple Make-up. Dark Purple everything.

5. iycis

Jan 7, 2002
    Well I don't know about airbrush colors, but for makeup I use Ben Nye CL-17 Misty Violet. Ben Nye makes theatrical makeup and it is very long lasting and won't fade.

6. amazonqueen16

Oct 6, 2003
    Jedi Trace

Do you think you could post a pic of your costume when you are done? I still need a couple ideas about vaious things. How did you make your skirt??? I'll try and take a pic of my cloak and post it sometime this week, Its really cool looking but I kinda mismatched the flow of the fabric. anyways I use dark metallic-ish blue eyeliner for my tatoos but I haven't used it w/ a stencil yet.

7. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Do you think you could post a pic of your costume when you are done?
    Sure! I'll post a link as soon as we get the pics added to our website and let you know which patterns I used.

Slightly OT: Has anyone seen the commercials for the 2nd season of the Clone Wars cartoons on Cartoon Network? Luminara and Barriss are in them. I'm amazed at our girl - even in combat, that hood stays up. ;)

(At the Con this weekend, my husband wanted to velcro the hood to the headband I was wearing to cover my hair. Looking back, it probably wasn't a bad idea, LOL.)

8. amazonqueen16

Oct 6, 2003
    OK Thanks.

Yeah I've been watching the cartoons, It's been really interesting to see Barriss in action with Luminara. I agree that its cool that her hood stays up the whole time she fights.

9. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    OK, I finally got some pics/details up about the Barriss costume that I made for MidSouthCon last month. [face_blush]

This is my first attempt at a costuming-ish page and any feedback would be appreciated. A lot of my pics didn't turn out and I hope to add more in the future.

my Barriss Offee costume

This thread has been very helpful and I want to say a big THANK YOU to everyone here! :D

10. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Your Barriss costume turned out wonderful, Jedi Trace. :)

11. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Thank you, Obi-Dawn! I had a lot of fun wearing it at Con - and it was the first time I'd ever had strangers ask to take my picture, LOL. [face_blush]

12. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    New Barriss Costume variation on Clone Wars novel cover art for Medstar I: Battle Surgeons. It could be a more comfortable alternative during the summer months when that cloak gets hot, LOL.

13. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    I forgot that we have a time limit on editing here, but here's a pic of the Medstar I book cover:

[image=http://www.starwars.com/eu/news/2003/12/img/20031216_bg.jpg]

14. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    I smell a new costume for me :D

Weeeeee cant wait to read it!

15. Diva_Shaliqua

Diva_Shaliqua Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 16, 2002
    Here I am in the Rebel Legion:
    http://rebellegion.com/cos.asp?COSID=159

For the makeup I used:
    Lips: Christian Dior's Diorific Plastic Shine in Alluring Black - it's actually dark purple.
    Tattoos: I mixed purple, red, blue and black Ben Nye Magicolour paints and then airbrushed it on using a stencil I cut out.
    Nails: Just a cheap dark purple I found at the chemist.
    Eyes: Light gold over entire lid, black eyeliner on lower inner rim and mascara.

16. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    RL photo

I already have the costume too... I just wanna do the book cover version now...

After i *FINALLY* get my ST armnor :D

17. amazonqueen16

Oct 6, 2003
    Jedi Trace

do you think you could show a close up of your skirt? I'm still confused on how to do it because it looks kinda tight to the knee and then flares out. or am I just crazy? and also a clost up of the neckpiece of your cloak? thanks

18. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    I'm still confused on how to do it because it looks kinda tight to the knee and then flares out. or am I just crazy?

LOL, no you're not crazy. I agree that Barriss's skirt does appear to be fitted at the top and flared at the bottom. I'm still fairly new to sewing and I didn't know how to make the skirt do that either. The pattern I used turned out OK, but it's not completely accurate, unfortunately. Maybe some of the seamstresses here can help.

The part around the neck is actually 2 pieces. I've been meaning to take a shot of the cloak and cowl separately, but my husband seems to have misplaced the cable that connects our digital camera to the computer. [face_blush] I can ask him to draw a diagram of his design, if you'd like.

19. iycis

Jan 7, 2002
    I believe that type of skirt is called a mermaid or something. I used a commercial pattern for it. Its tighter at the top and is yoked so that the lower part is full and flares out. I recommend using a black matte jersey for the fabric. But that's personal preference.

20. amazonqueen16

Oct 6, 2003
    Thanks so much!! My friend is planning my first date for when i turn 16. He says he's made himself a Jedi costume and I'm supposed to have a costume to wear. He knows nothing about Star Wars but since I love it, he's going to do this big Star Wars themed date. So thats why I really need to finish my costume before July. Did anyone have a certain pattern that they used for the shirt?? Or even what type of fabric you used??? Thanks again!!!!

Edit: PLus why would you use a matte jersey instead of a shiny??

21. iycis

Jan 7, 2002
    Because it doesn't look shiney to me.

http://padawansguide.com/luminara/barriss_promo.jpg

Technically, putting a yoke on this skirt is not correct. However its a lot easier than trying to figure out the actual shape of it.

22. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    One pattern that might be worth looking at for the skirt is Vogue 7524.

23. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    I used a similar pattern to that, but it doesnt get tight enough around the thighs. If you wants something tighter around the thighs, you might wanna do a pattern modification.

24. amazonqueen16

Oct 6, 2003
    THANKS!

I'm going shopping today afer school to find some fabric for my skirt and maybe shirt. That vogue pattern is the one that I was planning on using. I bought it forever ago, now i just need the fabric and sew it! thanks again!

25. amazonqueen16

Oct 6, 2003
    Ok, Update on my costume. only 35 days to finish it and I still need a belt, buy the shirt and sew the skirt. OH yeah and figure out the make-up.
    For the shirt I'm using an Under Armor cold gear shirt, it has a mock turtleneck with ribbed fabric.
    The skirt fabric is the backside of some stretchy $4 clearance stuff from Joann's that was incidently about 1/4 yard short. So the skirt won't be as full but oh well.
    What I'm really worried about is the belt and sewing my skirt. I've bever sewn stretchy stuff before so I have to wait for my mom to help me out. That will be a long wait but if I keep bugging her maybe we'll get it done on time.
    Thanks to everyone who's helped me with this project. Everyone who's posted has been a great help!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.