main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Barriss Offee's Costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by picciami, Oct 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    I too have started down the path of making this costume...
    I have found a fabric that I think will work nicely...

I could not cut and paste the link...
    but
    log onto Joanne Fabric..
    type in "panne" into the search..
    and click on the Navy panne

I was in Joanne's and purchased some of this fabric...it isn't the canon stuff...but the look is amazing. It is listed as navy.....and has a definite purple cast to it...

I also picked up the Simplicity pattern #5794 for the cloak...but noted after looking at all of your recommendations that the hood will have to be enlarged...and a neck/cowl thingy added along with the wire to keep the hood's shape.

I also picked up a dress pattern...Simplicity #5795...that could be used as a starting point for the "dress"....
    instead of making a top and skirt...I may opt for something one piece....don't know yet...as noted...that detail is hidden by the belt.

If anyone looks at the fabric...let me know what you think....

2. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    one more question for you...
    I noticed everyone who made Barriss has made the skirt and shirt out of black fabrics....
    a fellow member of a group I am in thought that she read that the shirt and skirt are actually a dark navy?

Now I am not so sure...
    what are your thoughts?

3. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    guess there are no thoughts...

I also spotted something else when looking closely at some photos....it almost looks like the textured fabric on the shirt/top is like a "breastplate"...it looks as though there is a seam on the side of the top and that the fabric for the back has no texture?

4. LittleJedEye

LittleJedEye Jedi Youngling

Aug 4, 2004
    Hi everyone! I'm new here! *waves*

I was wondering can anyone give me advice on the best way to apply the make up to get the diamonds to look right?

5. iycis

iycis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    Go back and read the rest of this thread. Tips on make up have been posted already in the last page I believe. Hope that helps.

6. LittleJedEye

Aug 4, 2004
    I checked through this entire thread and can't find out how to get the diamonds to look right. What's the best way to get them on your face?

If you use a stencil what did you use to make the stencil?

7. iycis

Jan 7, 2002
    I used a regular piece of paper, drew the diamonds on it, and then used an exacto knife to cut them precisely. Using paper lets the stencil contour to your face. Just hold it on, use a sponge with the make up on it, and sweep it across.

8. LittleJedEye

Aug 4, 2004
    Ok that's what I was planning on doing but my friend insisted that it wouldn't work. =) Thought I'd see what others had done. Thanks very much!

9. iycis

Jan 7, 2002
    It works best if you position the stencil yourself the way you want it, hold it with both hands, and have someone else actually sponge the make up on for you. That way it'll go on perfectly and you won't have to worry about how to hold it completely in place and apply the purple too.

10. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    I was thinking about the tattoo issue the other day
    Anyone ever see those "body tattoos" that you can print out on your computer? What if you designed the pattern on the computer, then you could just print it out, wet it, and apply without having to worry about that part of the makeup job.
    Do you think that would work?

11. amazonqueen16

amazonqueen16 Jedi Youngling

Oct 6, 2003
    Well it sounds good in theory... Now all you neeed is to test it. If anyone has them TRY IT! I actually haven't ever heard of them but I wouldn't put it past some of those companies to make it. I dunno, try it! Where do u get those? maybe I'll try it out. But if anyone does do it and is semi-successful, post the layout!

12. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    You can get plain tattoos at even Staples. Then you design the "template" on your computer and print it onto the labels. I've made tattoos before for kids that come into my work. :D
    And I'm not actually making a Barriss costume at this point (gotta limit my quest for costumes at this point). But I would like to some day and this idea just popped into my head.

13. qingauk

qingauk Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    I have been looking for the fabric for the cloak as I decided to do this costume for Halloween and C3 but can't decide on purple, black with purple or navy for the cloak. I see some folks used purple and some did navy. I like what you have done with the snaps and neckline of the cloak. I will have to try JoAnn's as I have tried Hancock and others even online.

14. qingauk

Jul 12, 2002
    I can't find purple and black fabric or navy and black so it looks as if it will mean buying the midnight blue and painting it with lines.
    Is the shirt and skirt navy? I would not think a padawan would wear black as it is a Sith color. Does that make sense?

15. iycis

Jan 7, 2002
    You can emboss the velvet cloak with a rubber stamp to make the pattern. Ask Sister_Sola. She knows how to do it.

The shirt and skirt is black, which is not only a sith color. As you can see with so many varieties of Jedi in the prequels, they are prone to many styles in their clothing and color options are not so limited.

16. Sci-FiGal

Sci-FiGal Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2004
    A little comment on the green skin tone makeup. I haven't yet done Barriss (my friend and I are going to be Barriss and Luminara for one of the days at c3), but I have done Maleficent from Disney's Sleeping Beauty.
    Using the makeup test I did for that (not the finished product on my website, sorry), and a few tests for halloween later last year on my mother, I have an unusual recommendation for the green tinted skin tone.
    Green concealer, the stuff that usually recommended for use beneath foundation to tone out dark under eye circles and blemishes. Forget the foundation, and use a thin layer of the concealer over visibly exposed skin, with a bit of brown/gold eye shadow for shading and tint. Lightly cover with your natural skin tone powder, and you've got a light yet obvious green tint.

17. qingauk

Jul 12, 2002
    Those of you who have made the cloak: did you put a lining in it? If so, what color? I can't see the underside of it in any pictures.

18. Evil_Benius

Evil_Benius Jedi Youngling

Sep 16, 2004
    I didn't put a lining in mine, it had a nice backing as is and was already heavy enough, If you choose a lining I would make it a matte fabric.

19. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Chanel's cloak had no lining. Instead, she used the material on both sides, and it looks great! (Of course I'm biased!)

20. qingauk

Jul 12, 2002
    another cloak question. The pattern on the fabric looks like a random one such as spider web would look. Did anyone paint theres or just go with solid fabric?

21. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    The first barriss robe i had was just solid purple, it looked good. The one i have now, is a panne fabric that is purple with a black design on it and it looks more like her robe.

22. Jedigirl514

Jedigirl514 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 22, 2002
    can we see both? I am really intrested in doing Bariss for CIII

23. iycis

Jan 7, 2002
    This is fairly dark but you can sort of see the pattern on my cloak here: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/iycis7/detail?.dir=7594&.dnm=14c7.jpg

24. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Solid: http://photos.imageevent.com/jedisamantha/costumes/mycostumes/Knessaand%20Samantha.jpg

Pattern: http://photos.imageevent.com/jedisamantha/swnycalbum/samsgreatadventuretothewestcoast/websize/IM003544.jpg

25. Jedigirl514

Jedigirl514 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 22, 2002
    those are good! would you recomend black? or more of a violet? there is this violet kind of crushed velvet with this, swirly pattern in it at work (I work and Jo-Anns) would that work?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.