main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Barriss Offee's Costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by picciami, Oct 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iycis

iycis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    Personally I think its more blue than purple.

2. qingauk

qingauk Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    The interesting thing that I have noticed is that it depends on the picture, what color it is. I went to Sarlaccs site and he has some good shots but the fabric almost looks violent with light lines. In other pics it looks navy or dark purple with black lines. I find I am getting confused looking at the various pictures. I put on the dvd to the scene where she is standing in the Chancellor's office and it looks navy with dark lines. It is like a crap shoot depending on the lighting.

I was at our local JoANNs and was looking for a fabric even under the stacks but did not see one in a heavy enough fabric. There was something in a cotton but I think it needs to be heavy...maybe wool would work

3. qingauk

Jul 12, 2002
    I found it! I went to a fabric in Norwalk Ct where they have designer fabrics by the ton. They had a fabric very similar to the cloak, a deep blue ribbed one for the top and matching jersey for the skirt.The are a really close match. Now I can proceed.

4. Jedigirl514

Jedigirl514 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 22, 2002
    do YOU have pictures? and how much did it cost?

5. qingauk

Jul 12, 2002
    I can take digital pictures of the fabrics but have no way to post them here that I know of.

6. qingauk

Jul 12, 2002
    CLOAK QUESTION: her hood is very full. the pattern for the cloak is not so full. What did folks do to get the fullness in the hood? did you use the 50x50inch suggestion on the Barriss web site?

7. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    Heres my Bariss Offee Costume, I just found this thread, I wish I had seen it earlier.

[image=http://dragobit.com/DVD_night.jpg]

Which was taken on the same day as the OT DVD's were released by a local Newspaper. I actually work at this Video store, so my co-workers got to see in my full geeky glory, and I am still getting teased ;)

I managed to put the entire costume together for under $20 (Canadian) Using a pair of Black boots that I already owned as well as a belt that I already had.

For the Cloak I used a pair of curtains that I found a second hand store that were orginally white but I dyed them blue, which was quite a battle since the fabric was synthetic and it did not want to absorb the dye, I think I used about 6 packs of dye on that one.

I never quite got the really dark coloring that I was looking for, But I ended up with a pretty blue color which I liked, so I stayed with that, although this might change later on.

I actually didn't end up sewing the cloak at all, Just wrapping it a certain way and using a few well placed safety pins in the back. It retrospect, Sewing would have been a better idea since it wasn't very secure and it kept slipping.

Besides the dying of the Cloak (In which I dyed my arms blue, and they stayed that way for about a week, I had to tell so many little white lies about that one) The next hardest thing was the makeup.

At first I used an eyebrow pencil, But that I found that faded very quickly, hence why in the picture they are not so evident, and that it smudged really easily as well. I also drew them freehand, which was quite tricky, next time I am definately using some kind of stencil.

The second time I wore this costume, which was in a Parade, a friend gave me Waterproof Eyeline to try for the Diamonds, which I found worked very well, It didn't fade and it didn't smudge once it was dry. I would definately recommend giving it a try to others making this costume.

Somethings that I learned from making this Costume
    -Wear Gloves when dying
    -Keep your white poodle away from you while dying [face_blush]
    -Have someone draw the diamonds for you
    -Heeled boots have no place in a Parade >_<

8. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    -Keep your white poodle away from you while dying

[face_laugh]

pictures!!!

~H~

9. qingauk

Jul 12, 2002
    Ok. I am looking at the neck piece on this cloak and it appears seamless in front. It looks as if it is in two pieces with one of the pieces a mock turtle while the other piece holds the front of the cloak together. The cloak in all her pictures is flipped back and held in place by ?
    I have the cloak together except for the hood and front piece. I am not putting a lining in it but have to make a facing for the front so that it stays back. I can't use the hood from the pattern so I am going with the 50x45 rectangle gathered in middle back. I will have to put some facing in the front to give it support.

10. qingauk

Jul 12, 2002
    Cloak is 90% finished! I just need to hem it. I am using velcro to hold the 'tabs' that go across the neck in front. It is mighty heavy and I did not use velvet. I have to find something to support the hooding along the front so it stays as the photo shows.

11. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Yeah defintetly dont go with the velcro. Use a button. Works much better.

12. amazonqueen16

amazonqueen16 Jedi Youngling

Oct 6, 2003
    K Well I did my cloak last year and its blue w/ black designs. It's heavy and I divised a small turtleneck piece for the neckpiece along with a ribbon tie to keep it on. I'm in the process of finishing the skirt and I still have no real shirt unless I wear my underarmour, but that would be way too hot. lemme know what you think.
    Kiery

13. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    What I did for the shirt, was went to a gymnastics supply provider and got myself a long sleeve turtle neck leotard.

Was only $18.00. Works VERY well. Its not too hot in the summer and my cloak keeps me good and warm in the winter.

14. qingauk

Jul 12, 2002
    were you able to get a top that was 'ribbed' ? That is the tricky part. I found the ribbed navy blue fabric and matched the shade with a jersey for the skirt but the official color is eggplant for them both and that is not an easy color to find. The ribbing on the fabric I have is not as pronounced as the original. I get OC about making it as close as possible to the 'real deal'. :)

15. iycis

Jan 7, 2002
    Where did you get eggplant as the official color?

16. qingauk

Jul 12, 2002
    eggplant is the color of her shirt in the dvd. I also read it on the padawan's guide. I think that was the place.

17. iycis

Jan 7, 2002
    I'll believe it when Trisha confirms it. Until then I still think its black.

18. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    I'll believe it when Trisha confirms it. Until then I still think its black.

/agree.

Black w/ purple makeup.

19. qingauk

Jul 12, 2002
    How does one get the huge hood to stay on the head? Is there a headband or turban she has on? Pin them together? Mine keeps falling back.
    How did others solve that problem?

20. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    I came across some pics of Barriss in the Dutch Fact Files. I hope it can be of any help too you, who make the costume. (I don't have a scanner, so I made a photo of the pictures)

barriss1
    barriss2
    barriss3

About the hood, I was on a convention this weekend with Nalini as a guest, and she said that the hood was held in place with a piece of Velcro sewed on the black piece she wears under the hood.

21. iycis

Jan 7, 2002
    Great pics! Thanks!

22. qingauk

Jul 12, 2002
    those pictures were helpful! Thanks for posting them. I thought it might be velcro to hold it on. I will have to find a black band or turban to wear under it.

the Fabric of the top and skirt does look like a dark navy in your pictures. Was she in costume to see the true color?

23. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    No unfortunately she wasn't, she told me she couldn't keep the costume. But I have her e-mail address, so I 'could' ask her some tiny color related questions :D, I hope she doesn't mind.

24. qingauk

Jul 12, 2002
    I just read the second Medstar and it looks as if the top has vertical lines going down the front on each side similar to a 'plate' or 'framing' that someone else mentioned previously. I have my ribbed fabric for the top but am waiting to get my sewing machine back from repair.

25. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    I was in Filene's Basement last night getting jeans and happened to find a shirt that was smooth in the middle with the hoirzontal ribbing on the sides. Too bad it was $50 or I would have picked it up for normal wear lol. Could this be dyed a darker color?
    [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/miscpics/large/L1030100.JPG]

If anyone wants one LMK ASAP, they only had two left last night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.