main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Barriss Offee's Costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by picciami, Oct 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iycis

iycis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    Wow nice find. If it's not synthetic it could be dyed. But I bet its got spandex in it or something to make it strechy. So probably not.

2. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    I'll check when I get home tonight what its made from, I live next door to place LOL

3. qingauk

qingauk Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    the ribbing on the arm looks great. I think the top of her outfit has ribbing across the whole chest with the verticals going in the same place as that top. I did find ribbed deep navy fabric but have not constructed the top and skirt yet. Now my machine is back, I can get to it. The ribbing on my fabric is not as pronounced as the real deal, however. What if ribbing was added with cording or whatever? That may work.It is a thought I have been having. Fabric glue could be used to save all the stitching.

4. Jedigirl514

Jedigirl514 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 22, 2002
    what patterns do you suggest? I found a fabric at Jo-Ann's that is a lighter fabric, and it kinda blackish blue and has a kind of zebra print that i think i will use (2 dollars a yard) I know someone said that the hood is fuller, what suggestions for how many yards to buy? (i need to go today so i can get a 30% discount) so any help fast would be great!

oh, and i am just making the cloak, I will find the skirt and shirt at a thrift store or from a friend

5. iycis

Jan 7, 2002
    I used Simplicity pattern #9452 for the cloak. I had to modify the hood so it didn't have a ruffle on the front like the pattern calls for. You will be able to sort out how much fabric you need when you look at the sizing on the back of the pattern which lists how many yards to use according to your measurements.

6. qingauk

Jul 12, 2002
    I finished my outfit except for the belt. Is the belt black?
    I found a cardigan sweater at the thrift shop that was a navy blue and the ribbing was just right. I bought some navy blue and black dye (RIT) and mixed them together and dyed the sweater, now a deep midnight blue,nearly black. It came out the perfect match for the skirt material. JoAnns had patterns on sale for $1 so I got a bias cut skirt pattern and did it up. It does not have as much flair as the original skirt but it is full.
    When I am done, how to I post a picture of it?

7. iycis

Jan 7, 2002
    The belt is black. You can make the buckle for it out of sculpey and paint it.

If you want to post a picture and don't have a website to host it, I would advise going here

http://login.yahoo.com/config/login?.src=ph&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos&.intl=us&.linkdone=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/

and get a free yahoo photo account to host your pics. I have one and it's pretty decent for a free photo page.

8. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Are you sure? From all the reference pics I've seen, it looks dark brown. If the belt is black, as well as the costume, wouldn't it look like the buckle would be "floating" on the dress?

9. iycis

Jan 7, 2002
    I think it depends on the lighting. It tends to look very dark brown in some pics and black in others. Personally I think it's black. The belt does not "float" on top of the fabric as you put it, because it's made of leather so obviously it's not going to blend in. I wear a black belt with my costume and it doesn't "float".

10. qingauk

Jul 12, 2002
    We have not posted on here for a while but I am doing so and hope someone replies to this.
    I am realizing the hood is too big and am reducing its size. Can someone who has made this cloak tell me how low the hood goes down the back when it is off the head? It is hard to tell on the pictures but I know mine is too low and it is so big that it is really heavy.

11. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    On my first robe, i made it big, On the second one, its much smaller.

12. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    Do you have a picture of you in the cloak so we can see how large the hood looks? Barriss does have a pretty full hood. The fabric I used for my cloak is very heavy so I had to make some modifications. A small comb in the hood to grab onto my hair, and a piece of craft foam sewn inside the hood at the center edge to help maintain an open shape.

What matters most is how it looks when it's on, not how far it hangs down your back when it's off. If you don't care about being super-accurate, you should just go with what you're comfortable with. :)

13. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    old cloak:

[image=http://photos.imageevent.com/jedisamantha/costumes/mycostumes/Picture_005.jpg]

New cloak

[image=http://photos.imageevent.com/jedisamantha/costumes/mycostumes/IM002267.jpg]

I dont know the exact measurements of them, i kinda did them both on the fly. The old cloak's hood is HUGE. The new ones is more or less the size that comes with the pattern.

14. qingauk

Jul 12, 2002
    I reduced the size of the hood and did pleating instead of gathering on it. That made it hang much better also in the front as I did a reverse pleat for the font edge. Now it looks 'lifted' as in the costume. It took me a long time to figure out how to get that lift. Now I have to put a bit of wire or whatever at the top to get it to flare out. I have stiffening in there now but it still does not flare.

I am going to get the makeup tomorrow and try it all out so by the end of the week will be able to post a photo. I got the black wide belt and need to make the buckle plate to put over the original one. The belt was the easiest part.. found at a Goodwill store!

15. qingauk

Jul 12, 2002
    Makeup question: are we correct in concluding that the skin tones are pale green and the diamonds are deep purple with black outline and lipstick is black/purple? Is there also a bit of gold eye shadow ?

16. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    A lot of people don't bother changing their skin tone for the costume. Having seen very good pictures of this costume, I would say she has an Indian (as in India) skin tone with an olive cast. Yellow undertones, but not green. That's just my opinion - they obviously interpreted it differently in the Clone Wars cartoon, where they made her green. But then at the same time they made her cloak purple there too, so there's some generous artistic license going on there. I will be using a bronzer to darken my skin a bit, since I already have a bit of an olive skin tone.

And I also disagree about the black outlining on the diamond tattoos. Again, from my pictures, it looks like a solid block of color. They, along with the lips, are a deep purple-blue-black. I'm using Ben Nye's Misty Violet MagiCake color for the tattoos (as per the suggestion of iycis) and mixing it with some black lipstick to get the right lip color. I also bought purple and black nail polish to mix to get a unique and accurate nail color as well.

I just ordered my makeup so next week I'll be doing a makeup test. I'll post the results, and hopefully that'll be helpful to someone. :)

EDIT: Oops, I forgot, yes, there is gold eyeshadow. There's also black eyeliner, on the upper and lower lids. A very precise line, so liquid liner may be best. I'm going to try it with my normal black eyeliner first to see how it looks before buying more makeup though. :p

17. qingauk

Jul 12, 2002
    I got the Mysty violet Ben Nye and the base I got is called Sallo green. It does not really go on as green but an olive brown color with my skin since I also have some olive tones. There is a picture of the makeup artist making the black pencil lines around the diamonds. I also got the black eye liner for brows and liner and lip liner. I went to a costume/ pro makeup shop where they do theatrical makeup so she also gave me instructions on how to layer the base then apply a fixer then do the diamonds and then another layer of the fixer( which is a clear powder) She said the diamonds would stay on longer and not smudge. For the staying power of the lipstick she said to also put foundation on first then the lipstick and then the fixer powder. I tried it with my regular lipstick today and it actually worked. I did not use gloss lipstick however because she said it comes off to easily which it definitely does with me. My lipstick actually lasted nearly four hours with this method! It normally disappears in five minutes or less!
    I will do it complete and see if I can get someone to post it either here or on the Defenders thread where I spend most of my time.

18. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    I guess the makeup in the pictures I have could be inconsistent with how exactly they did it for the film. It's hard to explain, and unfortunately these aren't pictures that I can share. I personally can't see the black outlining so I'm not going to bother with it. If the misty violet is too light on my skin though, I'll use my black MagiColor pencil (also by Ben Nye) to darken it. I'm also using a fixative, though mine's liquid, not powder (since most of the makeup I'm using for this and another costume need to be blended with either water or a liquid fixative to be applied anyway, and don't require powder to set).

Are you going to wear the makeup (the green stuff) on your hands too? I refuse to do that, too much effort, hehe. :) I'll do the tattoos but I don't want to have to worry about having makeup all over the place, especially during long convention hours.

EDIT: If you need help posting any pictures of your makeup, let me know, I'd be happy to help you out. :)

19. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    Here is qingauk's costume so far:

Qingauk's Barriss Costume

I think you've done a great job! I'm so glad you went the accurate way with the neckline of the cloak - a lot of people simplify it and just do a simple cloak fastening, instead of making it so that there's solid fabric from the top of the neck down to the fastening of the cloak. :)

20. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    I am almost finished with my Barriss....the few items left is the design on the belt buckle...which thanks to one of the photos posted I finally can see a little better...and the make-up....which I just found an outlet within 50 miles one way of where I live...so I will be going there soon to check out their stock of Ben Nye....

Am I happy with it?

Yes and no...it looks good, but as always, fabrics were an issue...I definitely need a different top....I made the hood HUGE with stiff interfacing...but I still feel it needed more "structure"

looks like there will be quite a few Barriss Offee hanging around CIII....

I have other costumes to wear...so since I am not 100% pleased I may not wear Barriss...

See you at CIII.....look for an aged Barriss....lol..

21. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    Do you have any pictures? :)

22. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Jumping in a little late on the topic of the belt [face_blush], I also think it's brown. Here's a nice pic posted earlier: Barriss.

One of my friends sculpted and painted the buckle for me. I can email a close-up pic, if anyone is interested. It shows up a bit shiny here, but actually has a matte finish.

23. LadyZam

LadyZam Jedi Youngling

Nov 30, 2004
    I've just finished my Barris today!
    Finally. I'm not completely satisfied with it, I'm gonna make the hood smaller and the belt isn't finished yet. Any ideas how to make the belt buckle?
    By the way: I'm also going to CIII. So one more Barris!
    Here is a picture: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v407/LeonieOuwerkerk/DSC00815.jpg

To see more pictures check my site http://www.starwarscostumes.tk

24. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    We should all get together for a Barriss army picture. ;)

I personally think the belt is black. PM me if you want to see why that's my opinion - I can't publicly post the picture I have.

As for suggestions on the buckle, some people carve it out of leather. Others use sculpey to make it. Some people just find an already made buckle with some sort of ornate pattern that makes them happy. What I really like about this costume is that there's so much room for creativity. Its features are so unique that it's near impossible to replicate exactly - and everyone's attempts are different. :)

I'll have this costume finished soon. In a couple weeks I'll have pictures to post. :D

25. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    starwarschick14 posted on 3/8/05 9:50am
    We should all get together for a Barriss army picture. [face_wink] [hr][/blockquote]

That would be a blast! [face_grin] We'd have to plan ahead for when/where so we'd all wear it the same day. [face_cool]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.