main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Based on events from RotS: Luke retains the Skywalker name

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by TheOutlawJedi, Dec 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheOutlawJedi

TheOutlawJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 25, 2004
    Its seems many are agreeing that, because the Jedi believe Vader will not come to Tattooine because of the pain it will cause him, the part of him that was Anakin, and that the planet is far from the grasp of the empire, that Luke will be safe, with Ben watching over. I can live this.

It also seems like, as Yoda said, they will,wait,wathc and learn, until the time is right. Yoda had no aurgument to Obi Wans gesture to take Luke to Tattoine, althought it was a wild and dangerous planet, as Obi Wan said, Anakin surived it , so can Luke.

2. CJedi72

CJedi72 Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 29, 2005
    It really comes down to calling him Skywalker, I mean come on, I know the chances of Vader finding his son he didn't know was born is very remote, but why the hell would you keep his last name Skywalker. That last name means something in the galaxy during the Clone Wars, in the ROTS book Kenobi & Anakin are legends for what they had done as Jedis during the Clone Wars. By keeping his last name, and someone saying to Luke, "Skywalker, any relation to Anakin, the great Jedi during the Clone Wars?" If I were in their position after everything that happened I would have named him Luke Johnson, and then wouldn't have to worry about any possible questions about Anakin Skywalker. It just makes too much sense not to give him a different last name, come on guys this isn't that tough.

3. mastersith69

mastersith69 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2005
    it does makes sense to call him skywalker. i mean i am sure beru and owen did'nt care and knew nobody would ever say anything to luke. it has been said that noone really goes to tatooine except for criminals and small time folk who dont wish to be found. i dont think anybody would be involved enough in the clone wars to run up to luke and say "hey i knew your dad he was a great jedi" come dont read to much into it.

4. AnnLouise

AnnLouise Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 10, 2005
    But that's what people do for lots of fictional universes, from Tolkien to Farscape. We enjoy the characters and the worlds they inhabit, and try to figure out things that the "real world" creators might not have thought of a the time of writing the story. So it's not pointless, IMO, but an interesting excercise.

5. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    Fat Bird:

Why hello pot, nice to meet you. Talk about rude and condescending.

Oh and by the way, I'm hardly talking out of my bum. What I said is 100% the truth. Star Wars was a stand alone film (until it became a hit). Vader wasn't Luke's father. Leia wasn't Luke's sister. Obi-Wan didn't tell things from a "certain point of view". Anakin was killed by Vader. These things changed later.

Wait a minute.....you actually 'bought' that story of Obi-Wan that a student Jedi - Darth Vader - killed Luke's dad - a seasoned Jedi Knight? Whether or not Vader was Luke's father in the story at that time - and I'd say not, in the context of a stand-alone movie - something didn't seem right to me about what he told Luke at his home....

To sit here and try to find reasons for why Luke had the last name of Skywalker is putting more thought into it all than GL did. There is no REAL reason beyond the fact that Vader wasn't Anakin Skywalker at the time. I just don't understand why some fans try to go back to the OT and come up with reasons to justify things that don't make sense now in light of the PT (like it makes sense that not only would Luke have Vader's real last name but also live on his home planet).

FB, this would truly be a problem if:

a. The Jedi not only knew right away that Vader/Anakin survived Mustafar, but that he had such great memories of Tatooine...:p

b. had Skywalker's wife not died right after giving birth, and thus laying open the possibility to anyone that she lived on, and with her, her and his offspring.

Accept the FACT that they don't make sense because GL didn't follow his own mythology or plot points from the OT when he made the PT. Hell, he didn't even do it in the OT. Leia always knew Luke was her brother? Really? Was that before or after she planted a big kiss on him in TESB? Face it, fans put a heck of lot more thought into the saga than GL did. If only he had cared as much. Perhaps we would have gotten a better PT.

:_|
    Jeez, you call THAT an argument?

And that's not me being rude and condescending at all. It's not a slam on anyone here. It's more of a slam on GL and his lack of continuity and consistency throughout the saga.

Oh, not a slam on anyobody here, just a slam on Lucas...[face_thinking]

He never seemed to get the concept that you shouldn't change the plot whenever you decided you liked another angle better. I mean come on, Luke was massively crushing on Leia in the first two movies. They even kissed. And THEN GL decided to make them siblings? Who here doesn't cringe some when you see ANH and TESB knowing they are siblings later? What kind of GOOD story teller would do that? Perhaps GL should have put more thought in the story and less in the special effects.

:_|

You know, I'd see a problem if say, Lucas had decided to make Han and Leia siblings after ESB, but, Luke and Leia? What did they ever do?
    For one thing, where do they ever passionately kiss - other than in ESB where Leia does it just to make Han jealous - ?

Another thing, what's wrong with Luke having a 'massive crush' on her if he didn't know the truth?

Look, I realise that they weren't written as siblings at the time of ANH - ' 76/77 - and possibly ESB as well, with a 'love-triange' originally planned that was cut from the movie or from the script, depending on who you read - but even so, one doesn't need to exaggerate - like you're doing, to make a point.

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Anakin was famous in the Republic. Luke is a nobody on Tatooine. And it's apparent that nobody made the connection in twenty years. Anakin was put in the spotlight. Luke shied away from it, either by choice or by Owen's doing. Owen saw no reason to change Luke's name at all and Obi-wan never gave him a reason to do so. Owen only became concerned when Luke wanted to go to the Academy. Anakin's reputation as a Jedi, who was part of the failed Jedi Rebellion, would be too damaging to Luke. Better to sheild him from that.

7. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    How many planets are in the GFFA?[face_thinking]

How many sentient beings live on those planets in the GFFA?[face_tired]

Has anyone ever been to all of those planets in the GFFA?:eek:

Did Lars really have a reason to change Luke's last name?
    :oops:

8. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    As I said earlier - Owen and Beru are Luke's foster parents.
    He is Luke Skywalker, living with his Uncle Owen and Beru Lars.

Leia is adopted by Bail Organa and his wife Breha.
    Therefore she is brought up with her adoptive parents and takes the surname of the house of Alderaan.

People seem to think that Leia's name change is some kind of plan to throw the Sith off the scent.
    It's not really (although it didn't hurt on that front), she's just adopted by the Queen of Alderaan and her Prince Consort and is brought up as their adoptive daughter.
    Taking her away from Coruscant was how she her identity hidden.
    Having her mother's dead body appear pregnant at her funeral procession was how her identity was hidden.
    Same goes for Luke, but he is brought up as a foster child and has no reason to adopt his Aunt and Uncle's surname.

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Royal Senator vs Moisture Farmer. Yeah, it's no contest who will be given more attention. One is a public figure and the other is some yokle on a backwater desert world.

10. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    Also, in a galaxy with trillions upon trillions of humans, I'm sure the name Skywalker isn't unique to Anakin. I'm sure those on Tatooine also figured that he had relatives there, so no one really gave it a second look or investigated further as Padme's pregnancy (and marriage) to Anakin wasn't general knowledge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.