main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Based on what you think you know, where does Episode VII rank?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by dolphin, Oct 6, 2014.

?

Episode VII's ranking among the 7 SW films

1. The best

22 vote(s)
    10.1%
  2. Second best

22 vote(s)
    10.1%
  3. Third best

79 vote(s)
    36.2%
  4. Fourth best

47 vote(s)
    21.6%
  5. Fifth best

13 vote(s)
    6.0%
  6. Sixth best

5 vote(s)
    2.3%
  7. Worst

30 vote(s)
    13.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    Everyone's entitled to their opinion of course but this whole topic makes me a little sad as a fan. Why even ask the question at this point? No one knows if anything we've heard is true or the context in which those scenarios fit into the story (or the saga as a whole), and yet several of us are already rating it "worst" Star Wars movie ever. You're just stoking the flames of premature criticism.

2. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    I voted fourth, not because I think it's going to be "run-of-the-mill," but simply because I like Episodes 3-6 SO much already. Moving even one of those beloved movies out of the way to take 4th place would be quite an honor in my book. I feel pretty confident it won't be worse than 5th, and that's still not a bad place to be considering what would be above it. If it's closer to 4th than 6th, I'd consider it a "solid" Star Wars movie, even at that ranking.

3. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I know the poll came off innocent enough, but you can tell it will passively brings up PT vs OT. You can actually take a stab at the type of people voting:

"The Best" - This ones tougher. Amusing the new regime can do something BETTER than any Star Wars movie before it.
    "Second" - People that think it will be "almost" as good as ESB.
    "Third" - People that like ESB & ANH, but don't like Ewoks or the PT.
    "Fourth" - People that like the OT but don't like the PT, so of course it's in the middle.
    "Fifth" - Zero votes so far (obviously no fans of the PT)
    "Sixth" - Zero votes so far (obviously no fans of the PT)
    "Worst" - Lucas purists or anti Disney folks...

To be honest it brings warmth to my heart that that many picked worst LOL!

Dak Oolron likes this.
  4. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    The only two story elements I ever actively really, really wanted to be true of the ST were the return of the Big3 (with Jedi Master Luke featured prominently), and Luke having a (heroic) son to help carry on the Skywalker name into future generations.

Not asking too much, I think. And beyond that, I was completely open to whatever they wanted to give us.

And a for a long, long time, most of what we'd heard had sounded okay.

- The cast (well, the ones we'd actually heard of) including such terrific young actors? A dream come true.

- The inclusion of more prominent female and minority roles? Terrific.

- No new Jedi Order yet? Well, I had hoped for Luke to have instructed some Jedi in thirty-plus years (even if it's only his sister, son and maybe niece). But getting to see the re-building of the Jedi Order, proper, onscreen is a big part of the appeal of the ST.

- The same goes for the New Republic.

- This will be a 'Han' movie. Okay, I loves me some Han, and I'm sure Luke will still be a big part of the story.

- Luke is missing/captured for 10 (or 30) years. Wow, okay. Rather interesting, actually. Still really hope he's had time to have that kid, but otherwise? Could be cool.

- "Plagueis as the big bad?" I'd love it. "No, Palpatine?" Sure, okay. "Nope, Ruin." Alright. "Inquisitors, Mandalorians, Sith Witches...?" Whatever, man. I'm easy. Just make it cool.

Anyway, my point is that I've really striven to remain pretty open to whatever JJ and Co. want to bring us.

But back to those two things I wanted more than anything:

We heard all kinds of rumors about different actors said to be reading for Luke's son (!!!), and Mark Hamill was looking supreme in his Jedi Master beard. All was right with the world! This movie was going to be great!!!

But then?

Well, I still don't know whether any of the new young male actors may be playing a Skywalker. I'm hopeful, but after the script re-write and a rumor of Luke having "no known offspring"? Well... at best? I have no way of knowing.

And then Luke. Not just "Luke dabbles in the dark side as a heroic means to an end for the greater good." No, we hear that Luke may quite possibly be turned, not only into a full-blown antagonist, but into an appalling-looking, cybernetic freak, to boot.

<crickets>

Yeah, so suddenly, I find myself feeling just gutted, without much room for excitement anymore.

But then as I have time to digest, I tell myself that adding a touch of darkness to Luke is in-keeping with his Skywalker roots and it helps to give Luke some weight in the new story, but that there's just no way anybody in their right mind making this movie would do... do that to Luke (right?!?). And I also remind myself that I haven't seen a single page of the shooting script yet (and neither have any of the folks who are making best-guesses based upon pieces of concept art), and I think, "Aw, screw it! Who the hell knows?"

And somewhere JJ is smiling, saying "Good... Good."

Final Thoughts:

Yes, and here I thought this pre-movie time was supposed to be fun. Building me up for the film. Not sapping all of my enthusiasm for the project.

But I guess that's what happens when you suddenly find yourself in the position to be worried about the new folks maybe taking a beloved childhood hero and twisting him into an ugly, unrecognizable.. thing, just for the sake of the next story, huh?

Does that answer the OP question? Probably not, but it's been my experience in a nutshell.

5. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Hard to judge at the moment but I'll go third best behind ROTS , ESB ...........

6. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    The story, ideas,and images I have created in my own mind based on the loose set of rumors easily puts in up near ANH and ESB, possibly even greater.

The real thing? I can only hope it's half as good as the movie idea I have in my own head.:p

That said, the more I hear about imperial hangars and tie fighters the more bored I get and it totally kills the spirit.

7. SomeoneSomewhere

SomeoneSomewhere Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 24, 2014
    Honestly, if the whole Darth Luke thing is true, then it depends on how they pull it off. Like a fallen idol who is still unsure of where he stands? Alright, I can deal with that. Some additional cybernetics here and there? A bit wary, but sure, I'll deal with it.

Full on Vader replacement? NO. Luke shouldn't be the main villain of E7, and if they go the full Darth Luke I can only hope for everyone's sake that he dies before the credits roll.

8. City Councilman Binks

City Councilman Binks Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2014
    After answering this question I'm gonna rank my unborn grandchildren (my oldest daughter is 3).

In all honestly, I kinda knew that ROTS was going to be the best of the prequels. ESB is the best of the OT, so by deduction the 1st one should be the best one ( second and third are taken). So this will rank in the top 3.

Also, my 7th grandchild will suck and Labor Day 2019 will be better than Colombus day 2017 (take that to the bank)

Dewback likes this.
  9. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'm expecting to enjoy it, although given my view of Abrams' previous work I'll be pleasantly surprised if I like it as much as the existing films.

10. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    It's way too early to tell. But it's likely this could be one of the best.

11. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    A few months ago I expected VII to be a safe, but competently made film. I thought at it's absolute baseline it would compete with AotC. Because while I definitely like AotC, I think it has more than its fair share of irksome moments. Even if VII wasn't as inspired as Lucas' films, it would at least be an easy and enjoyable watch.

Now I have absolutely no idea what to think. It could be a great movie, but it could also be a totally misguided disaster.

12. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I currently rank it firmly between "It's not done yet" and "How the heck shouldnI know?".

I'm optimistic, but guessing at the quality or reception of a film that's still got a year to bake seems a fool's errand, IMO.

13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Right now it's the worst Star Wars movie ever because it's not even a movie yet!

14. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Conversely, right now it is the best because of anticipation.

There is an old joke that's been used about a lot of bands: "What is you favorite song?" "Whatever they are going to play next."

Force Smuggler and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  15. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    1)Episode I
    2)Episode II
    3)Episode III
    4)Episode IV
    5)Episode V
    6)Episode VI
    7)Episode VII
    :p:p;)

16. coxie0520

coxie0520 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 17, 2014
    I'm going with fifth because no one voted it yet; let's spice this poll up a bit ;)

Darkslayer, dolphin and starocean90 like this.
  17. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    lol, Episode VII is currently in 7th place.[face_laugh]

dolphin likes this.
  18. ender2k

ender2k Jedi Master star 1

Sep 22, 2004
    Besides some of the cool things I was hoping for, every rumor and theory I thought was stupid made it into the PT. I'm going to assume the same will happen again. That means a severed hand floating through space, Luke missing for 30 years, Darth Luke, Darth Plagueis, another planet-destroying super weapon, and an overabundance of fan service that qualifies as lousy storytelling and setting-building but which will be labeled the coolest thing that's ever happened to Star Wars.

For me, it will compete with AotC for the worst. Of course, the dialogue will be better.

At least my expectations aren't very high. [face_dunno]

starocean90 likes this.
  19. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

If it's fourth, which episode do you think it will surpass? ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ...

Frankly, I am shocked that last place is the top vote getter. I think the Darth Luke rumors really rubbed people the wrong way (I doubt it's true).

Jedi Knight Fett and Dak Oolron like this.
  20. Prospecting on Subtyrrell

Prospecting on Subtyrrell Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 18, 2014
    The only sensible position to take is worse. This movie got every mountain to climb. Will it? JJ versus one of the greatest creators of all time? Doubtful, very doubtful.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  21. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    I dont know much but I will say 4th at minimum. Maybe 5th.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  22. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    Based on what I've read, rumour wise, and the quality of the existing films, I'd say there's a chance this film could rank third after ANH and ESB for me.

23. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    If Disney can weave their magic and give Ridley a signature song like 'Belle' in Beauty and the Beast then it will surely rank as the greatest SW movie.

Artoo-Dion and Dak Oolron like this.
  24. Prospecting on Subtyrrell

Prospecting on Subtyrrell Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 18, 2014
    Disney and JJ are the problem here, not rumors. Creative geniuses like Lucas don't grow on trees. It's very, very hard to replace.

25. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    No, they don't grow on trees. They grow in vats on the planet Kamino.

phatdude1138 and Dak Oolron like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.