main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Based on what you think you know, where does Episode VII rank?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by dolphin, Oct 6, 2014.

?

Episode VII's ranking among the 7 SW films

1. The best

22 vote(s)
    10.1%
  2. Second best

22 vote(s)
    10.1%
  3. Third best

79 vote(s)
    36.2%
  4. Fourth best

47 vote(s)
    21.6%
  5. Fifth best

13 vote(s)
    6.0%
  6. Sixth best

5 vote(s)
    2.3%
  7. Worst

30 vote(s)
    13.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think this poll would be more reflective of reality if it was simply entitled 'do you like the sound of the rumours'? Regardless of the rumours, Ep VII could still potentially be the best or worst SW movie (or somewhere in between - which is most likely IMO).

2. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    See, that's a tough one. ESB is untouchable, and ANH is a really great standalone movie. So those are probably safe. RotJ is not technically great, but the struggle of wills between Luke and Vader throughout the movie elevates it, and I always liked the Endor landscape. RotS has some weak points, but overall is a REALLY entertaining/engaging movie.

I think I'll just have to say that 4th place to me means a three-way tie between RotJ, RotS, and Episode VII (which would take up spots 3-6, with Episode VII nestled right in the middle of them).

Force Smuggler likes this.
  3. Prospecting on Subtyrrell

Prospecting on Subtyrrell Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 18, 2014
    What is your third place pick (assuming ESB and ANH are at the top)?

4. Dak Oolron

Apr 24, 2014
    Really? You're gonna make me do this? lol. Ugh. So hard! ...

Jedi barely edges out Sith. The tiebreaker was comparing the extended duel at the end of each movie. And by that, obviously I put more weight in the words/meaning behind the fight rather than the choreography/visuals. Luke throwing down his saber is so strong, symbolically. I 100% understand what GL was trying to accomplish with Anakin vs Obi-Wan, but at times, it felt like they were just going through the motions physically and it dragged on and on. Obviously the RotS duel was way more polished, technically, but like most of the PT saber fights, maybe too polished (not organic enough)? Also, while the scenery was well-done, Mustafar just didn't make me feel like I was there like the practical sets for Endor and DSII did.

It should also be known that I have never had a beef with the Ewoks. True, they are small in stature and are primitive technologically, but we don't know how many Ewoks came to fight that day. A legion of stormtroopers consisted of 8,192 troops, and we maybe see 100 on-screen during the battle; we probably see a similarly small proportion of the total number of participating Ewoks. How effectively Imperial forces were able to be deployed could also have played a large part in their defeat. It seems that a major Rebel/Ewok tactic was to divide and conquer by spreading the Imperials out throughout the forest, where the Ewoks would had a chance because they knew the land better, and had traps prepared. And clearly some of the Imperial force remained inside the bunker as they were called out as reinforcements at the end of the battle (which was a Rebel trick).

RotS's greatest fault is probably being too heavy on the action. We go from one fight, to another, to the next. Pretty much the only non-fight plotline throughout the movie is Anakin (a character who TPM and AotC did nothing to help us like) finally losing his grip on the light and submitting to the dark side. Still, there are some great fights, and the visuals are incredible. I've always really liked RotS (it belongs alongside the OT), but I guess it makes sense that I rank it after RotJ.

5. Prospecting on Subtyrrell

Mar 18, 2014
    Oh, I think I misunderstood. When you said shared for fourth I assumed you put either TPM or AOTC in third (which would be very unusual).

But I agree with your reasoning. ROTS is a better film than ROTJ in some ways, but the final confrontation between Vader and Luke just cannot be topped. For that reason alone I put it above even ANH. Empire is untouchable.

I do think TPM and AOTC are very underrated though. Even on fan sites.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  6. Dak Oolron

Apr 24, 2014
    I really disliked TPM for many years. But I have come to appreciate it within more recent times. I also used to like AotC alright, but my opinion of it has dipped over time. But I still watch both of them, and I certainly wouldn't say I hate them, or that "George Lucas [ruined] my childhood." (Good grief.) They aren't on par with the rest of the saga, but I don't try to pretend they don't exist like some do.

7. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I will have to wait until we get Official details about the Plot, Characters, and Locations, before I vote. All we have now are rumors; and if I go by those, I would put VII last. I keep hoping that Official announcements will debunk all these crap rumors. :rolleyes:

8. Dent

Dent Jedi Master star 1

Jun 3, 2014
    Like Baron said, any real predictions are going to have to be made on the plot and stuff.

However, based on the talent involved, I think it's gonna rank second or third best. Kathleen Kennedy has a great history, so does Abrams. Arndt and Kasdan are both great screenwriters, especially with Kasdan's Star Wars experience.

The cast looks great too. The one's we've seen content of are very good, with a few academy award winners in there. With the unknowns, I think it'd only be safe to assume that they're near the caliber of the more famous actors in the bunch.

9. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    Poll Question: IMPOSSIBLE to answer until I've seen the movie, and probably will take a couple or three viewings.

While following spoilers for AOTC, I thought it was going to be the coolest SW movie ever (except for ESB). When I actually saw the thing, it quickly sunk to dead last in my opinion, primarily because of the execution.

You can't judge ANY movie until you've seen it. (Unless Abrams announced that Jar Jar will play a heavier role than TPM).

10. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

So what was your vote? :p

Jedi Knight Fett and Dak Oolron like this.
  11. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, I honestly can't say at this point. I like some rumors and dislike others, but the movie could still end up being great, mediocre, or bad. In some ways it will be worst if it's mediocre. At least if it's bad, I can just pretend it doesn't exist. :p

12. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Well I'm glad EP7 got some "last" votes, shows there some PT fans around!

13. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I voted worst, but only because I have an intangible "bad feeling" about it. I had the same feeling about Rebels and have really enjoyed the first episodes of that, so it's more than possible that I will be completely wrong. It is really early days. Probably a huge portion of the rumors we've heard so far are at least partially wrong, so I have no real reason to feel it will be bad.

I fully expect to think the opposite of most Star Wars fans, however it turns out. TPM is far and away my favorite of the PT and ROTJ is my favorite of the OT, so my track record is pretty flawless in bucking the trends of fan-favorites. :)

14. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Liking the idea of a sequel trilogy does not require disliking the PT.

15. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Wait... I can't tell if you are being sarcastic! If not that's cool. I like fans that buck the norm.

Like I said before, I like all 6 films equally for different reasons. They all tell a different story. If you put a gun to my head, I would tell you out of the PT, AOTC and TPM are almost a tie and I like ROTS the least. ROTS is TOO much of a downer as far as Star Wars goes. You witness a "Jedi Holocaust" which is super depressing, clones turning on their Jedi pals. Anakin loses everything, limbs, love, his kids and the ability to live outside a suit. And Obi-Wan and Yoda live as hermits. While two babies are separated from each other with no parents. I really can't think of a sadder film.

I know emo-teens will say sadness makes for a good story, but I disagree. I prefer to leave a movie happy. Or at least with hope.

16. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    From what I've seen, people are either not voting or voting worst simply because of the lack of solid information combined with rumors about Episode VII that they don't particularly care for.

Dak Oolron and EHT like this.
  17. Kraven Head

Kraven Head Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    I have a bad feeling that JJ and company will try to mimic the OT that its going to royally back fire.

Being a decent SW fan w/ a great imagination... the last thing I want to do is walk out of the cinema thinking I could've wrote a
    better story.

18. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    I think J.J. and Disney are throwing crazy stuff out there to throw us off a bit. So, until it's confirmed, don't believe it.

I think Star Wars Episode VII is going to surprise a lot of people. It will be better than the Prequel Trilogy, guaranteed!

The Millennium Falcon is in this
    Chewbacca is in this
    Old Jedi Master Luke is in this
    Han Solo and Leia are in this
    Lawrence Kasdan is part of this...etc, etc.

Come on people, this will be just as good as The Empire Strikes Back.

I voted third to ANH and TESB, but might tie with another movie, so who knows.

19. Prospecting on Subtyrrell

Mar 18, 2014
    George Lucas is not in this. That's a BIG void.

Andy Wylde and my kind of scum like this.
  20. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Impossible to vote at this time...it's WAY too early for that. Even with all the rumors out there, it's hard to form an opinion considering most of them are probably total BS at this point. Even if there is some truth to them, we don't have any context. I'm sorry, but I'm going to wait until I see the actual film to make this kind of call.

21. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    With no informations whatsoever about the plot, without any prediction about my feelings at the end of the movie and without any influence by overhyped, unrealistic fan predictions, I voted it'll be my fourth best.
    Episode 7 will be the opening movie of the trilogy, and although they're great, they're topped by their sequel (TESB) or sequels (AOTC and ROTS). They can't offer us that kind of an engagement like the movies without the beginning and the end or the movies in which everything ends.
    So I seriously doubt that Ep 7 will top my nr. 1, ROTS (or that it'll be topped by any ST movie), AOTC, as my nr. 2, is way too big movie to be surpassed by Ep 7 and then there's TESB. No beginning, no end, the best movie of the OT...
    Fourth place is a nice start for the ST. I can't say anything for what comes later.

22. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    As I said, that has certainly been my personal experience, and it's evident that I'm not alone in feeling this way. Whether this is the reason for the low score at present? Could be. I don't know.

Though I'm not willing to hang a number on a film I haven't seen yet, my reaction to this latest rumor has been anything but positive and exciting.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  23. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    Impossible to say with any certainty, but I voted best, if only because I tire of the original 6. As much as I love them and hold them as my favorite movies ever, I actually get bored watching them, knowing every single line of dialogue, every nuance, every detail, every piece of trivia like the back of my hand. I'm yearning for a great new experience!

24. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    I voted the worst .My reason for that is that it seems like it's still the rebel alliance vs the Empire 30 years after JEDI. To me that would be a huge disappointment.
    Not exactly what I had hoped for when they announced a sequel trilogy.

25. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i can't believe this is a topic when we don't know what the film is. From the rumors i don't like what i'm hearing, but they seem too rediculous to be true. who knows.

Force Smuggler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.