main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Based on what you think you know, where does Episode VII rank?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by dolphin, Oct 6, 2014.

?

Episode VII's ranking among the 7 SW films

1. The best

22 vote(s)
    10.1%
  2. Second best

22 vote(s)
    10.1%
  3. Third best

79 vote(s)
    36.2%
  4. Fourth best

47 vote(s)
    21.6%
  5. Fifth best

13 vote(s)
    6.0%
  6. Sixth best

5 vote(s)
    2.3%
  7. Worst

30 vote(s)
    13.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    4th best until now. This may change to 3rd best (or higher in case it is more than expected), but this depends on the final movie. :)

1. ROTJ
    2. ESB
    3. ANH
    4. TFA
    5. ROTS
    6. AOTC
    7. TPM

2. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    It will probably be the best one in terms of overall quality. ANH and ESB had such an impact on entertainment and pop culture there's no way TFA could match that.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  3. unicron5

unicron5 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 19, 2002

I don't think it will match Empire on story. This is the first of a new trilogy, the stakes simply won't be as high in the story arc, it will be more about setting up the pieces on the board.

I don't know if they can beat the villains of the OT either ... the giant Empire versus the rebels, Darth Vader, Emperor Palpatine ... I'm not sure Abrams and co. can top that.

The original trilogy has the best villains in modern fantasy movie making IMO by a country miles too. Sorry Voldemort, sorry Marvel, nuh uh Star Trek, only the Joker in Batman comes close.

4. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    That's a very good point. I just think Abrams is a good writer and combining his creativity with Kasdan will be money.

5. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Of course it's baseless, but it's still fun to discuss! (Imo)

PrometheusCreations likes this.
  6. smallpaul

smallpaul Jedi Master star 3

Aug 15, 2001
    1. Cop and a half
    2. Leonard 6
    3. Muppet babies
    4. Anything with Mario Van Peebles
    5. TFA
    6. Manborg

7. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014
    ESB
    ROTS
    ANH
    ROTJ
    TFA
    AOTC
    TPM

8. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Hmmm. Where does "New Jack Fozzy", the episode of Muppet Babies with guest star Mario Van Peebles, fall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. smallpaul

Aug 15, 2001
    Entertainment that good is not meant for mere mortals. Your face will melt if you watch it.

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  10. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Impossible to tell, since execution is everything. BUT, I like what I see so far. It will be hard to top ANH and ESB, but I think it has a good shot at beating ROTJ, so I ranked it third. I think it's almost impossible that it will come in below Ep I and II, but Ep III was pretty good, so it might rest in the meaty middle. But so far, I am encouraged by what I see.

PrometheusCreations likes this.
  11. Jair Crawford

Jair Crawford Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2012
    I voted fourth best. I know there's not much known about the movie yet, but, for me it's gonna be really hard to beat ROTS, ROTJ, and ESB. And that's not because it'll be bad, but because those movies are just that high up there, imo.

Anakin_Prime likes this.
  12. smallpaul

Aug 15, 2001
    I don't care how good this movie is. It'll never be better than TESB and ANH. There's just too much nostalgia involved.

13. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    WAY too soon to pass judgement. But saying that, could definitely be in the top 3. We shall see..

14. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    What's that got to do with the actual movie?

ROTS
    TESB
    TPM
    AOTC
    ANH
    ROTJ

TFA? To Be Determined

Andy Wylde likes this.
  15. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    ANH fifth? Come on Qui-Riv-Brid? ANH is genesis as far as Star Wars goes. Without it there wouldn't be a saga :)

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  16. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    a bit too early we don't know if the rumors are true and don't even know what the story is about

17. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Without nostalgia?

For me the answer is yes. I love it but visually (and Star Wars is a visual saga) every film is better than it but the core story in ANH is overall slightly stronger than ROTJ in that it is more cohesive to the lone film as opposed to the overall saga.

That is as much as can possibly be taken out as it's always a part of it.

Now with nostalgia it's:

ROTS 100%
    TESB 99%
    TPM 98%
    ANH 97%
    AOTC 96%
    ROTJ 95%

So ranking isn't really an issue for me since any way I look at it they are all pretty much the same with minute differences to establish a rank.

ANH as Star Wars was it's own one-off the actual saga as it is was wrapped around it so in that sense it's always the odd one out. It's alone film followed up by a duo of films then a trilogy that revererates backwards and forwards in the stories.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  18. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    That's a pretty cold way of looking at it in my eyes, but each to their own. ANH introduced us to Vader, Obi Wan, the Empire, Luke and Leia, the Death Star, X wings, TIE fighters, the FORCE!!!, JW's score!!!! just because it's visuals don't hold up to modern standards it's way down on your list? But hey, each to their own...

19. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    I don't see the ranking of the list as that important as they are all virtually tied.

How about this?

ROTS 100%
    TESB 99.9%
    TPM 99.8%
    ANH 99.7%
    AOTC 99.6%
    ROTJ 99.5%

It's not about visual to modern standards but to Star Wars standards and the visuals ARE the story as we discussed before. Every single image is part of the storytelling. I don't seperate them and say that they are supporting the story. They are the story with all that entails in terms of all the elements of visuals and sound.

20. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    We all perceive things differently. Your choice is your choice, and that's cool. Here's mine

TESB
    ANH
    ROTS
    ROTJ
    TPM
    AOTC

21. DarthCatbeard

DarthCatbeard Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2014
    Being 22 I grew up with the PT and before they came out it was 1.ESB 2.ROTJ 3.ANH. Then with each subsequent release in the PT the most recent one was my favourite until the next was released by which point the prevoius went to the bottom with the exception of ROTS.

So my list is now

ROTS
    ESB
    ROTJ
    ANH
    AOTC
    TPM

I suspect for a couple of years I'll consider it the best one ever until the next ones come out and I've seen it a stupid amount of times then by which time I'd imagine it would probably slot between ESB and ROTJ . I guess :p

22. Shadojoker

Shadojoker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 15, 2000
    1)ESB (perfect)
    2)ROTJ (i got a childhood soft spot for this movie/score)
    3)TPM (Obi & Qui-gon vs Maul duel made this movie! Nuff said)
    4)TFA - can change the game if done right
    5)ROTS (Can easily be #2, Hayden was so much better)
    6)ANH (gold standard but honestly its so slow )
    7) ATOC (horrible path to darkside and love story)

Scummy_and_Villainous likes this.
  23. Cyreides

Cyreides Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 19, 2014
    4th or 5th best.

24. Anakin_Prime

Anakin_Prime Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2005
    I ready voted 4th, but I have to admit, I'm surprised at how many 'worst' votes are out there. I'm not implying anything wrong with voting that, but i am surprised.

25. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    This movie hasn't even been edited yet, let alone ready to be seen. And from some fanboy comments it is going to suck... Because one of the characters is Black... There is no place for this kind of mentality in the Star Wars universe. I have good vibes regarding this movie . I just hope fans will not be overly critical of a film that we as viewers have no control over.

Njfritz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.