main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Basement24's Art -- January 2008 - MACE WINDU!!!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Basement24, Feb 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Ohhh. I love these two newest ones!
    Will they be colored?

2. Daenna

Daenna Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 11, 2006
    Great work :) I loved "When they were brothers" too, I find it really touching...

3. Basement24

Basement24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2005
    Thanks again everyone!

I will probably be colouring these two, but just not right away. I started to work on the Obi-Wan one, but I wasn't liking the Illustrator line work I was doing on it, so I have to rethink my process. I'm working on another quick piece, and have a few other ideas, so I might move on to them first. If I do colour them though, I will be sure to post them!

Excalibur, that'd be great if you wanted to help 'holo' the image. I might try my own of just the Obi-Wan and Anakin portion of the image, and add a different background for a bit of a twist on the same theme. Stay tuned!

4. Excalibur14

Excalibur14 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2006
    Basement,

I would be happy to help you out with the holo...I have done some things in the past like that and they all came out pretty good...basically just finding a good combo of blues, whites, and transparency levels. I'm gonna be away from the 13th to the 17th but will gladly give you a hand when I return. Good luck till then

Excalibur14

5. Basement24

Jan 1, 2005
    Another update in my first post! Darth Vader's Helmet!

6. Daenna

Mar 11, 2006
    oh... Wow. I love your style, Basement24! The lining is so precise and neat... What is your medium? I'm thinking of Adobe Illustrator but... I could never master that program for drawing from scratch...

7. Basement24

Jan 1, 2005
    Thanks for the kind words! Yes, that is Illustrator, but I do lay down traditional pencils on paper first. I then digitally ink my piece in Illustrator. It's not the easiest program to just grab and use, and like your results. It takes some playing with. It really makes good work of sweeping arcs though, which is nice. I have to be sure not to fall too much into Illustrator though, because there's something to be said for hand-inked pieces, such as yours. (Very nice stuff, by the way, as I posted in your thread!)

8. Daenna

Mar 11, 2006
    (Thank you :)) By the way, I checked out your site and I was amazed by all the things you've done... And at some point, I thought "Ohhh so it's you who did that clone with the cute Twi'lek doll!". I had seen that picture on Google a long time ago. I'm happy I found its creator :)

9. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    Vader's helmet looks amazing. The shine really makes it stand out even more. Very sharp & very cool. :cool: =D=

Also really enjoyed the "You Were My Brother!" scene of Obi-Wan fighting Anakin. That mid-action pose looks great.

- Suz ^_~

10. Darth_Snuggle

Darth_Snuggle Jedi Master star 2

Jun 5, 2005
    I agree, Vader's helmet looks great! Personally, I've never been quite able to capture it on paper.

11. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I can't believe I never commented in this thread before. Your stuff is really amazing! I particularly like "When They Were Brothers", "You Were My Brother" and the Kit Fisto one. Keep it up!

12. Basement24

Jan 1, 2005
    I'll have another image *hopefully* soon, but I've been updating my website to a new server, so it's kind of taken ahold of my free time. It's in a bit of a basic state right now, but my full gallery will be back soon enough. Right now it's just my 2006 SW works, but there is one I never seemed to post here... Nothing much I must admit though!

Thanks for the kind words everyone, as always! :)

13. Basement24

Jan 1, 2005
    I won't normally update this thread with non-Star Wars stuff, but I made this for store-signage for the V For Vendetta movie. It's from photo reference, but I was quite happy with the final outcome.

If you haven't seen this movie, do yourself a favour and do it! I read the comic ages ago, and it was amazing then. It's still amazing now in movie form.

[image=http://www.basement24.com/sitebuilder/images/v-for-vendetta-600x402.jpg]

14. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    That is beautiful. I haven't seen the movie or read the comics, but I have seen that fellow on the commericals and you are spot on. Great job!!

AG88

15. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Wow, the newest pieces are just amazing, Basement23! I love the subject matter in the "When They Were Brothers" and "You Were My Brother" pieces: first, the warm cameraderie between them all--Jedi Knights and Clones (absolutely love the trooper goofing on R2-D2, btw!)--then the bitter and brutal battle between the former friends...WAAAAHHH!! :_| That shot of Obi Wan, after he's dismembered his former padawan, is to me one of the most heartbreaking in the entire movie (and I've thought often about drawing it myself...someday...)--you've captured that tortured expression just beautifully. And just a great big WOW on the Vader helmet--what a gorgeous painting! The shape, the detailing, the slick shine of it, and the black-black blacks...just WOW... And the "V for Vendetta" fellow is scarily wonderful, too--loving the ****

FF

16. Excalibur14

Excalibur14 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2006
    Hey Basement, I'm back from my vacation and just wanted to let you know that I love the Vendetta piece....truly awesome!! If you still want help with turning "when they were brothers" into the hologram just let me know. Be glad to help.

17. Basement24

Jan 1, 2005
    Thanks again everyone, as always! I'm glad I was able to get across the emotion in Obi-Wan's face, and very glad others feel it too! That scene is so powerful, I didn't want to have it come across weak.

Excalibur14, I wouldn't mind some holo-help, but I have another idea for the image that I think I want to try first. I want to go back to one of my original roughs for the image, and do a bit of cropping on it as well. I don't really want to give it away, but when I get a background done, I'll be ready to holo-it-up. Thanks for the offer!

Check out my first post in this thread for another new image! Aayla Secura!

18. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    Aayla! Great shot - The angle makes it far more interesting and you pulled it off succesfully. I love how the motion is clear in that she has just turned and twisted her head to look up at an oncoming attacker. There is just enough detail put into it so that she doesn't appear plain. I like the style of the colouring as well (um, 'Cell style' - isn't that what it's called?) Anywho, there's enough definition in the lighting/Shading, just like that spectacular Vader helmet you did from before. Very Nice. :D (I'm sure the guys will appreciate the view. ;) :p )

- Suz ^_~

19. Giolon05

Giolon05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2005
    Nice job, Basement. Twi'leks are always an excellent choice. :) Good job on V too. I loved that movie. :)

20. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Aayla looks fabulous! =D= I love this extreme angle--something that's so bloody difficult!--it gives her such energy and "pop!" Beautiful coloring and highlighting, and the way you've done her costume is great (sometimes that single sleeve is omitted, and I think it's a very unique feature of her outfit). She looks just great Basement24! You certainly have a lot of versatility in your styles, and I envy your skill in that (I'm pretty much a "face" artist myself, and do little else! lol!). Another wonderful piece!

FF

21. Daenna

Mar 11, 2006
    Very nice; that's an unusual angle you picked... But it turns out just right! Really cool! :)

22. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Another fine piece!
    As others have said, the angle is really dynamic and eye-catching :D

23. Basement24

Jan 1, 2005
    Thanks again, as always, everyone! The angle was just something I had roughed as a thumbnail for no particular piece, but I thought it was too good not to flesh out. I chose Aayla since I'd never really drawn her before, and in keeping with my idea of trying to draw characters I haven't done much, or at all. I realized after a bit of cleaning up the image that the angle wasn't not exactly the best for Aayla's top though. As Your_Worshipfulness said, the guys can appreciate that angleI suppose! lol! Not my intent, but such as it is. :p

The cel-shading style is one I enjoy doing, because of the ability to make very subtle or very harsh lighting in an easy manner. I've always been a fan of cartoons, and whenever they used two or three tone cell-colouring for lighting, that was just aces in my book. Check out Batman The Animated Series' episode "Robin's Reckoning Part 1" when Batman infiltrates a home at night, and does some investigating in an alley way as well. That really bright/dark style pretty much got me into the cel style.

More to come, but I want to get my website in better shape too. Thanks again for the comments too, they're always greatly appreciated!

24. Giolon05

Giolon05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2005
    Wrong! That IS the best angle! he he.

25. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Excellent Aayla, Basement! You really went all out on this one!

I love the bird's eye view of her and the great action stance you have her in. Excellent work, please keep it up! =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.