main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Basement24's Art -- January 2008 - MACE WINDU!!!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Basement24, Feb 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Snuggle

Darth_Snuggle Jedi Master star 2

Jun 5, 2005
    Good job on Aayla Basement24! You're probably tired of hearing it, but it is a rather eye-poping angle :D But in all seriousness, it's quite a dynamic shot, not the typical thing you see and lends a very dramatic feel to it. Nice work on V as well!

Yeah, I like animation-style tones and shades, too. I use it a lot in my own illustrations. Comes from an animation background, so it comes natural to me :)

2. alienyouthct

alienyouthct Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Her proportions seem a bit off, but I suppose that's part of what I like about it. So few artists seem to take angle and motion into account when they make their characters. Good job.

Although maybe the next character should have less cleavage so you don't get comments about it. o_O

3. Basement24

Basement24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2005
    Thanks again everyone, I appreciate the comments! :)

I have some 'progress' shots of this image I might put up a bit later, just for kicks. My website is almost up to a full state now, so if anyone's interested in older works of mine, check it out!

I'll have some more new works hopefully soon enough.

UPDATE - Here's some Illustrator progress shots. I screen capp'd these to show a friend and thought I'd share. I sometimes like seeing the progress of a piece, so I thought others might like the same.

[image=http://www.basement24.com/roughs/aayla-secura-progress1.jpg]
    Finished the lines in Illustrator.

[image=http://www.basement24.com/roughs/aayla-secura-progress2.jpg]
    A roughed out colour plan in Photoshop, planning what colours to use when using Illustrator in the next stage.

[image=http://www.basement24.com/roughs/aayla-secura-progress3.jpg]
    Blocking out shade areas in Illustrator. The circles are to remind me what my original colour choise was before darkening and lightening as needed. Eyes and lips are finished in Illustrator due to their smaller size.

[image=http://www.basement24.com/roughs/aayla-secura-progress4.jpg]
    All blocked out lines are finished, ready to colour in Photoshop.

[image=http://www.basement24.com/roughs/aayla-secura-progress5.jpg]
    Close-up of Aayla's finished face in Photoshop. This is at about 60% of the size of the final work. Originally the lip gloss highlights were my initials, but it was too obvious in the final image, or it's just a squiggley line now. :p

That's it for now, stay tuned for more new work soon enough!

4. Darth_Snuggle

Jun 5, 2005
    Nice work :) I hope this demo will be on your website (I put one on mine early on to explain to visitor how I created my stuff).

5. Basement24

Jan 1, 2005
    Thanks! I will probably include it, but need to get some of my other older images up there first. I do have a few more snap I took I believe that I can use to flesh out my process on my own site.

For now, check out the first post in this thread for a quick colouring job on an old one of mine!

6. Daenna

Daenna Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 11, 2006
    Thanks for these progress shots, the most interesting I think comes with shading "zones"... It looks like a lot of work, and I guess you need good knowledge of the characters muscular shapes and lighting techniques...

Thumbs up! And yes, you should add this sort of thing to your website as well :)

7. Basement24

Jan 1, 2005
    Thanks for the comments, Daenna! Hopefully I will have some kind of image-progress page on my site either tonight or tomorrow.

I've posted a new fan art challenge piece in my first post in this thread. Check it out!

8. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Wow, One With The Force is awesome! =D= Great job!

9. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Wow..."Anakin's Death" is a gruesomely beautiful piece, Basement24--the outstretched metal fingers, the disintegrating hair and clothing...eeesh... I sort of cringed when I saw this in the Art Challenge for one of the scene choices--but aside of my own "queasiness" about it, it is one of the most heartbreaking and powerful scenes in the movie...and you've captured it so very well... "One with the Force" is, as someone has already commented, a perfect companion piece to it, as well: illustrating that the innocent child Anakin started out to be still survived in some fashion despite the terrible toll the Dark Side had taken on his life. Excellent counterpoint--and both are just beautifully rendered. Amazing!

FF

10. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    wow great artwork, Basement24!!! Great Aayla, nice stance, very much like that piece, and I have to agree with falcon fan, the anakin's death and one with the force are both heartbrakingly beautiful. I didn't have a chance to look at the other art you've done, but I will. I'll be back ;) Thank's for reviewing on mine, and I can't wait to see more stuff of yours!

Take care and God bless!
    ~N

11. Basement24

Jan 1, 2005
    Thanks everyone! I was a little worried that "Anakin's Death" would be a little horrific after I finished it, but it really doesn't display anything more than what was on film, just because it's a still image, you have more of a chance to absorb it more. I was happier with it when I made "One With The Force" because you really get a good contrast between Anakin's horrific death, and his peaceful one.

In hindsight though, it would be nice to have these images the same size, to make them truly complimentary. I still ahve the original Illustrator files for "Anakin's Death" though, so maybe that's one to work on!

12. JeedaiElf

JeedaiElf Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    All I can say is wow! I wish I was as good as you. I really like the Aayla pic. She is my favorite Jedi.
    One thing. I don't know if you have already been told but the 2 Kit Fisto links are not working for me. I keep getting a 404 not found. I would really like to see these if you can fix it.
    Keep it up! You have a lot of talent!:D

13. Basement24

Jan 1, 2005
    Thanks for the kind words, JeedaiElf! :) Also thanks for the heads up! I forgot I had changed the filing name for the 2 Kit pictures on my site, but didn't change them here. They should be working and view-able now!

14. JeedaiElf

JeedaiElf Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    YAY! Thank you!:D
    I really like those! Kit Fisto has been a fav of mine ever since I first saw that grin.
    I also like the "When they were brothers" Very nice:D

15. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    Wow, Anakin's Death is so fabulously detailed and looks as though it may have taken awhile to complete. It's hard to look at, but not because of his gruesome condition. It's more of what the scene itself is about - the cost of the descent into darkness. (You just can't help but feel bad for the guy even though you know he brought it on himself.) That pain-filled expression with his hand reaching out was pegged down perfectly. A Powerful image wonderfully done.

One with the Force is just how you say it is - a great way to compliment it. The harsh begining and the peaceful end of Darth Vader. But it was a really nice touch to have his ghostly youthful face above his funeral pyre. It almost irks me on how it reminds me of how someone so gentle and innocent became such a monster. Beautiful work on both of these. :)

- Suz ^_~

16. Excalibur14

Excalibur14 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2006
    Basement

Truly awesome stuff. I love the step-by-step illustrator/photoshop tutorials. Excellant idea! Aayla came out wonderful! My favorite is the Funeral Pyre piece...Like I said on the April challenge thread, your work always amazes me and I look forward to seeing more stuff from you.

Excalibur14

17. Darth_Snuggle

Jun 5, 2005
    The two Anakin ones are really great. As Your_Worshipfulness said, it's a nice contrast of the horrific beginning and peaceful end of Vader.

The image of Vader on the funeral pyre has always been one of my most favorite (and for me) touching images from the entire saga.

18. Basement24

Jan 1, 2005
    Thanks as always, everyone! I always like to hear what people have to say about my work.

Anakin's death scene on film always tugs at my heart, and I'm told I look absolutely heart-wrenched when I'm watching it by my friends, so I wanted to give that feeling with the image. I'm glad the image dosen't come off as much gruesome as it does painful in the emotional sense. Conversely, I think Vader's funal is the most touching in the saga as well, so it was nice to have something to come from both scenes.

I've been quite busy recently with a few freelance jobs, tooling a new Batman costume for a public appearance in a few weeks (yes, I'm Batman), and sorting out commissions on my website. Hopefully I will ahve some more new work to show soon! I've been batting around a few ideas, but nothing solid enough to post yet. Although, sketchs never hurt, but the final product is always the best to present in my idea.

Yes, I did mention commissions, didn't I? I guess I'm committed to them now! :p Keep an eye out on my site in the coming week or so for details if you're interested.

19. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Your work is absolutely fantastic. I think (don't quote me on this) that this is the first take on both of Anakin's deaths I've seen.
    The only thing I'd critique is that young Anakin's face looks kinda creepy :p
    But otherwise you've captured the intended emotions quite well =D

20. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    You can really draw.

21. Courtney_Solo

Courtney_Solo Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    Excellent work! =D=

22. Basement24

Jan 1, 2005
    I've posted a new one in the first posting of this thread! Granted, it's a quick one, but I thought it was nifty enough to post.

23. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Hey Basement--just wanted to drop in and say "I hate you" about the new Padme piece... ;) :D I can't draw that young woman to save my soul! lol!

I can tell from the facial outline that this is an original work (the angularity of her jawline is the giveaway to me), but stang it!! How do you do such fantastic likenesses...? She looks beautiful (and truthfully, I can't wait to see the "unblurred" image!), and I love the intense look in her eye. Just lovely--and let's see the unblurred piece!

FF

24. Basement24

Jan 1, 2005
    Thanks for the comments, FalconFan! :)

Here's my original rough pencil sketch that I scanned to throw colour on. I originally worked on it at about 6x larger than it is now, which made the colour shapes easier to apply. The result is the cel-style one you can see below, or in my updated first post. I then blurred it significantly to make it look more photo-ish. I have a smaller Obi-Wan one that I made for a trial run before Padmé that I will post a bit later too. That one had more lines though, so it didn't work as effectively.

I've also updated the image with a flip of the other side of her face to finish it off. I like it more as a complete face, rather than the half-face it was originally made in.

[image=http://www.basement24.com/padme-roughs.jpg]
    [image=http://www.basement24.com/galleries/starwars/2006/padme-pop-art-cel.jpg]
    [image=http://www.basement24.com/galleries/starwars/2006/padme-pop-art.jpg]

25. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Ooooo, nice progression of the image! I love that you included the original pencil rough-out of this, with the shadows and highlights sketched in... And the unblurred image looks very much like vectors--or am I wrong about that? What a beautiful piece--the look in her eye, the sort of fierce-but-pretty pout on her lips... That's our warrior Queen! ;) Just one suggestion: to reduce the final blur just a bit--the colored image is so beautiful (it actually stands on its own as it is, IMHO), I think it should be a bit sharper in the final version... What a great piece (and I like the full-face image, too!)!

FF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.