main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Basher Sanctuary Episode 4: A New Forum

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Darth-Stryphe, Apr 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I saw Episode I two and half times at the theater. I fell asleep in the third viewing. I've only seen parts of the movie at home.

2. LSHB

LSHB Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2004
    I fell asleep in front of TPM in the theater too. Could spawn a whole other basher thread:

Film Slept Through: The Phantom Menace
    Reason: Jar Jar Binks, Abundance of smuggled rum

Film Slept Through: Attack of the Clones
    Reason: Anakin/Amidala lust story, butter-covered milk duds

etc.

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I am curious... how many times have you all seen either TPM or AOTC?

It's hard to say. I saw each of the films initially in the theater when they were relased and then after that, it's really scattered. Like others, I have fallen asleep many times watching these films(especially TPM) or have turned them off halfway through or got caught up doing other things and never actually watched them all the way through to the end.

Although, I do have a funny story while watching TPM one time late at night. I fell asleep about 10 minutes into it and didn't wake up again until Jar-Jar screamed "Wesa goin' home!" God, that scared the heck out of me. Of all things, it was Jar-Jar I woke up to. Why, George...why?

4. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    'I fell asleep about 10 minutes into it and didn't wake up again until Jar-Jar screamed "Wesa goin' home!" God, that scared the heck out of me.'

[face_laugh]

5. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    <font size='5' color='red'><center><b>AHEM!</b></center></font>

After reading the last 24 hours of posts, I see a few of you need a rules refresher.

3) Discuss the films, not the fans. We will ban violators of this one, oh yes!

...and...

4) ...Also, as long as people are obeying the TOS, they have the right to criticize the PT/SE?s in this thread. You are allowed to come in here and discuss their opinions with them, but not criticize their opinions or their right to have them in this thread. It?s ?Sanctuary?, please respect that.

But primarly I see rule #3 violators [face_plain] Bannings are being dealt.

6. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    gez:

you're a manager now? Is manager better than Mod? Do you get extra powers?

He has special powers. He can see things before they happen.
    :p

Here are some things managers can do that mods can't...

(1) Post with HTML, like that big "Ahem" above.
    (2) Promote and demote mods, like Stryphe might do if I made fun of his colors, or, worse, messed with Texas.
    (3) Set banners and colors in a forum.
    (4) Choose whether or not polls are active in a forum.

There's probably more, but I won't find out everything for another month or so. [face_devil]

EDIT: I am too freakin' stupid to use markup codes

Rick McCallum loves you!

7. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    (3) Set banners and colors in a forum.

I can? Hmmm, I was a little tired of these colors [face_devil]

**Darth-Stryphe: the wrong person to give unnecessary powers, like the ability to delete Comms, for starts [face_devil] **

EDIT: I didn't see that button, but, it might be there still. I'm scared to touch half those buttons! I might accidently demote you, Adam.

Anyway, to answer your question gez, yes, but then Adam already covered that. I am more power than you can possibly imagine! [face_devil]

8. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Concluding old business with the Sanct...

It is partly because of advances Lucas has helped spearhead that allow me to be a filmmaker today! Nonlinear editing at consumer prices, without which I could never have put together my first flicks? The push for digital video so that everyone can make a professional-looking-movie?

Hey now, nothing wrong with cut and paste editing. You've never edited a movie until you've given that a swing! (It's rather fun, actually), and you surely aren't ragging on 16 mil film are you? **fingers demotion button** Are you????

When Lucas talks with excitement about putting filmmaking in the hands of the people, with anyone being able to make a movie with a consumer camera and a Macintosh... he's getting ME excited. Uncle George is watchin' out for my interests.

But when you get into cheap everyday technology (with being able to be used for high res film), then you get even more talentless hacks working on it, who don't have the patients or talent to be in film (no, I am not saying this is true of you, Adam). Having to work with film is tough work, but rewording, and it distenquishes the men from the boys in the world of filmmaking.

My thoughts exactly. I really regret seeing AOTC only once in theaters, as it really made the experience. I've never seen/heard an audience react as positively to a movie as they did to the Yoda fight.

Oh, I've seen both reaction. Believe me, there were audiences that laughed at Yoda, not with. Some say "oh, you're misreading the audience". No, I saw it with another audience who responded very favorably to the Yoda duel. The difference between the two reactions was glaring.

Well, when in doubt, I'd rather be watching Excalibur. Now there's a fantasy movie I can really sink my teeth into.

Excaliber was OK at best.

Some big movies that are slated for summer 2005 include "Mission Impossible 3", Ridley Scott's "Kingdom of Heaven" (with Orlando Bloom again, sheesh he is everywhere), "Jurassic Park IV"

JP4 and MI3? Ugh, GL did pick a good summer to release AVBE. No real competition (except maybe King Kong).

9. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    And now, replying to posts in this Sanctuary...

I always thought the TPM forum sucked anyways.

*bans MeBe*

sooo....I can say that Padme is the worst character in the Star Wars Saga?

*checks notes*

Yes... yes you can.

Just thought I'd stop in and welcome you guys to your new home on the SWC forum. I even brought you a housewarming gift.

*Hands over TPM DVD*

Thank you, -_-_-_-_-, I know right what to do with this

*starts a fire*

"But see, Strilo, here you don't have to post TPM SUCKS!!! You can instead post...

AOTC SUCKS!!!"

Yah but..... I like AOTC more.

And you feel OK saying that in public? 8-}

Holiday Special = well, it's better than AOTC

LOL!!! Well, I know of at least one green rabit who agrees! //cues Fuzzyrat

Yes, Stryphe, TTT and ROTK have grown on me!

Ah, good Ree-yees, it's good to see ASOFAI has improved your tastes ;)

Found that somewhere in this very SWC forum! You know where. Can't be too hard to find. *snerk*

Movies not the fans, rule #3!!!

Does that upcoming merger thing mean all the threads in TPM/AOTC will be erased at that point?

Too early to say, at this point.

This would mean that all the "Lucas is holier than thou" fans would be happy that Lucas is finally able to complete his "vision"...

Let's not refer to other fans in such a disparaging way. **shakes head**

I almost 'tore down the pillars of heaven' when I saw The Santuary in TPM was closed. Then I saw strilos nice note

STRILO!!?!! I posted that sticky thread! Violation of Sanctuary rule #8, strike one!

Converts await, so why doesn't everyone from the old Sanctuary do a little paragraph on their bashing stance? Hate TPM but like AOTC ? hATE tpm AND aotc etc
    And briefly why.

Good idea. My stance:
    ANH - favorite movie of all time. Binary's near correct to call it the perfect movie.
    ESB - this is among the things most excellent.
    ROJ - Great movie. It's my third favorite movie of all time, but I do admit it could have been better, I mean, the whole Jabba Palace thing is kind of lame. Line up to be capture? No wonder Han was worried when he heard Luke was working on a plan to rescue him. 8-} However, the last half of ROJ is some of the best SW ever. Ewoks, I could life with them or without them, didn't ruin the movie for me, neither am I a fan of Ewoks. Palpatine, though, dude, he was the man!
    TPM - It's a good sci-fi movie, but a sub-par (at best) SW movie.
    AOTC - Uhm, could the character's actually speak English in this movie? That would be great, thanks. Oh, and can we have a semi-meanful climatic battle and not degrade one of the finest SW characters in the final duel? Oh, oh, one more request, could we have a middle chapter that just doesn't suck? I'd appreciate it!

Likes about SW: a magical world of space with cool designs, good stories and interesting characters. Plus EU's Timothy Zahn is great!
    Pet peeves: The constant revisionism. A little annoying in the OT, but overall GL did a good job making the revisionism work for the benefit of the saga. But by the PT, it's just annoyingly glaring. Oh, and the AOTC dialogue just really blows my cool, as does making the Jedi whimps and idiots (including Yoda). Also, most of EU is so-so at best. There are probably less than ten books that are good and no comic books after the 80s worth reading (that I've found).

Blind and "in-denial" gushing

And another rule #3 violation. Goodness, these place is going to be empty once I get done handing out the bans. Did you people not take my new rules seriously? Actually, they're not even new rules. This is disappointing.

Before I go, another HUGE fan... no, DISCIPLE of George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series. Every basher should read this, for its brilliance is a great tonic for Prequel disillusionment....

Fire and Ice rocks, but you're comparing apples and oranges.

Pet h

10. Binary_Sunset

Oct 28, 2000
    One of my co-workers made a video copy of all the new Clone Wars cartoons and loaned it to me. I'll watch them sometime this weekend, if for nothing more than to mock and scoff at them. I didn't like the first batch, but this collection is only 20 minutes long, so what the heck. I can laugh at and throw things at Grievous. [face_devil]

11. LSHB

Apr 12, 2004
    So, I've gotten so desperate to like Episode III that I joined the non-spoiler forum (which I like). I was almost spoiler free for AotC and it didn't help at all, but I just want to be sure. I definitely knew some things about TPM before it came out, and I've always wondered if it really did have some effect.

In particular, I read a really long Time magazine article about TPM the week before it came out. It had a full spread of the Gungan/Droid battle, and all sorts of quotes in it, as well as a full dialogue about Jar Jar (it referred to him as something like a 'vexing mix of Gollum and Gunga Din' if memory serves).

The more I think about this, the more annoyed I get. Sure, I made a conscious decision to read the magazine, but obviously everything in it had been dispensed with the blessing of LucasArts. Poking around a SW forum like this is one thing, but do I actually have to dodge focused attempts by LucasArts to basically prime the pump and get folks all lathered up before the film comes out? I don't know what those Clone War cartoons are, but they sure sound like the same kinda thing. (there's also the fact that these days if you want a video game to come out near the film release date, obviously you have to let the programmers in on all the goods way before the movie actually comes out). Anyone else notice anything like that in regards to EP III?

12. RahrKast

RahrKast Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 25, 2003
    I'm sorry I wrote that, Stryphe, really sorry. :( It won't happen again. :(

Well, IIRC I saw TPM and AOTC at least thrice in the cinema... and many, many times on DVD... that was when I was still in my gusher state. Since ROTK, I haven't even dared to look at the DVD's, even thought about getting rid of them.

13. BlackPool

BlackPool Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 29, 2000
    Do you think I'd support that? Fanboy control would screw it up even worse IMHO.

Perhaps just as bad, but definatly not worse. I think the problem with most fan scripts is that they try to imagine what Lucas'77-80 would have done rather then freely bring new things into the story.

Something else I laugh at are the posts that express love for the PT and vitriol for the EU. I see no difference in either quality, imagination, or exicution. Dark Empire, Shadows of the Empire, TPM, ATOC--Keven J. Anderson, eh, all the same.

14. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "Stryphe - you're a manager now? Is manager better than Mod? Do you get extra powers? "

He gets to use the Light and the Dark side. [face_mischief]

" *Hands over TPM DVD*

*starts a fire*

It's not going to burn well, since I peed on it. :p

On a more cheerful note about SW DVD's, I'm compiling my first ANH DVD tonight. I'll get to watch it on my player tomorrow. :D Oh, BTW, HAN SHOOTS FIRST!!! :cool:

(Yes, it does take that long. The raw capture files are 28 gigs, and takes 8 hours just to compile the video portion.)

15. LSHB

Apr 12, 2004
    I'm actually hoping Lucas comes out with an update where not only does Greedo shoot first, he actually kills Han. Then for the rest of the movie, Han is digitally replaced with Greedo.

16. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    But when you get into cheap everyday technology (with being able to be used for high res film), then you get even more talentless hacks working on it, who don't have the patients or talent to be in film

And if they don't prove said patience or talent, then they won't make it in the industry. (Or they'll be promoted to studio head, one or the other.)

The technology gives everyone a fair shake at it. What you do with that shake is your own business.

LSHB -- I'd be down with that! I like Greedo better than Han anyway. :D

(What? He's amusing.)

Rick McCallum loves you!

17. LSHB

Apr 12, 2004
    It's pretty funny if you think about it..putting Greedo into all the spots Han gets into. And of course Greedo needs to be translated:

Leia: My hands are dirty.
    Greedo: Fjak Lad Iej;o! Ahjd; fjeap akef?
    Subtitles: My hands are dirty too. What are you afraid of?

Greedo: Laiod dfj;laie alkl;. Ukke! fjk akflo copodnkl!
    Subtitles: Boring conversation anyway. Luke! We're about to have company!

18. Binary_Sunset

Oct 28, 2000
    I laugh at are the posts that express love for the PT and vitriol for the EU. I see no difference in either quality, imagination, or exicution. Dark Empire, Shadows of the Empire, TPM, ATOC--Keven J. Anderson, eh, all the same.

I'd go so far as to say that TPM and AOTC are actually worse than most of the EU I've read. In a heartbeat I'd take movie versions of the Dark Empire trilogy (for example) rather than what we're getting.

I'm actually hoping Lucas comes out with an update where not only does Greedo shoot first, he actually kills Han. Then for the rest of the movie, Han is digitally replaced with Greedo.

It's pretty funny if you think about it..putting Greedo into all the spots Han gets into. And of course Greedo needs to be translated:

Leia: My hands are dirty.
    Greedo: Fjak Lad Iej;o! Ahjd; fjeap akef?
    Subtitles: My hands are dirty too. What are you afraid of?

Greedo: Laiod dfj;laie alkl;. Ukke! fjk akflo copodnkl!
    Subtitles: Boring conversation anyway. Luke! We're about to have company!

[face_laugh] Great stuff!

19. FuzzyRatt

FuzzyRatt Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2003
    Holiday Special = well, it's better than AOTC

LOL!!! Well, I know of at least one green rabit who agrees! //cues Fuzzyrat

I would like to point out how much more I enjoyed Leia signing the Life Day song over Termites building the Death Star. [face_plain]

Tomorrow I will post the words to the song so everyone and sing along with her. [face_mischief]

"We now have but, one choise. We must face the long roads to Community."

Well, I guess it wasn't that long. 8-}

20. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Tomorrow I will post the words to the song so everyone and sing along with her.

Oh, dear God...someone please help us.

But seriously, I get your point. I'd take Chewie's family moaning mindlessly for an hour over watching Anakin and Padme stare blankly at each other for two hours, claiming to have a relationship.

21. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Speaking of JC Manager powers, I once saw Darth Sapient do a wicked cool marquee effect on these boards.

Darth Stryphe, can you bless us with an example of that magic today? Preferably a scrolling bashing marquee? [face_devil]

Like HanSolo29, I fell in love with Star Wars in the video generation in 1995 or so. In a span of about two to three years, I wore down those VHS tapes and spun those John Williams soundtracks like nobody's business. That trilogy had an enormous impact that shot straight through me like a lightning bolt. It changed my musical tastes (I became aware of film scores), my movie tastes (I changed from a casual movie-goer to a film nut), and for a while, I even toyed with the idea of joining the special effects industry. [face_shocked] My IQ went up 50 points and I met the President. Okay the last sentence is not true. [face_laugh]

About bashing: If the PT was some EU spin-off like the Clone Wars cartoons, then of course I'd easily "move on" and "let go" and "post elsewhere" if I wasn't happy with them. But these movies are supposed to the *official* continuation of the OT and should be of equal, if not better, quality than the OT. Lucas is finishing the chapters to this story but these new chapters just aren't up to par, making for a very uneven, marred and overall unsatisfying story. And it hurts the other chapters around it, bringing everything down. When I see so many fundamental, sometimes silly, sometimes insane, sometimes criminal flaws in the PT, I find that inexcusable. This is like the basketball team doing brilliantly in the first two quarters only to screw everything up in the final two quarters for no reason, and then you see the fans go home with their heads hung low. It's a very similar feeling of disappointment.

I also think the bashing these past few years is a sort of protest in a way, a demand and plea for at least one great PT film on the level of the OT, and there won't be silence until it's delivered! *points finger in the air like a madman*

Isn't it sad how we have to lower our expectations for a PT film, when it is George and his crew, with their modern-day tools and filmmaking freedom, who should be exceeding our expectations? The writing should be better right? The acting should be better right? The directing of the PT should be more experienced and smoother right? Unfortunately, it seems like the opposite, and everything I mentioned above has become worse! I've now lowered my Star Wars standards so low where I don't even care what happens in AVBE and probably won't watch it, and it sounds no more exciting than any other Hollywood-produced summer popcorn movie like Van Helsing (which doen't look all that great either. Talk about ugly and overused effects).

22. CeeJay

CeeJay Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    :D I'm Hooooome!!!!

Well for once a change I approve of, finaly we can discuss LOTR, Matrix and SW in the same place without being hit over the head with the banning stick. Yes Ree Yees I definately do like this place :) I'm gonna have so much fun here. Most you guys all know old Ceej but for the benefit of those who don't lets do the AA meeting routine..

Ceejay's the name, been posting since 2000 and a Bashers Sanctuary member from the days of the Original Sanctuary (a most blessed realm). Saw SW in 1977, was a huge fan but really became engrossed with the whole thing after watching TESB in the glorious summer of 1980. Look up Bliss in the dictionary and you see a picture of a 10 year old CeeJay surrounded by TESB trading card stickers, a novel by Donald F Glut and a collection of Marvel UK comic reprinted adaptions humming the Imperial March alongside the soundtrack playing on his tape recorder. "Joy-Joy, Happy-Happy, Joy-Joy!!"

SW:ANH - This film will always be called SW as far as I'm concerned, ANH is something it became later to fall into Luca$'s vague plans on what he wanted to do with the saga. It blew me away as a kid, it changed my life forever and is the main influence in kick-starting my carreer as a comic book illustrator. I love this film very, very much.

TESB - Simply the best of the bunch, my favourite film of all time. To see the Millenium Falcon go through that Asteroid field was the finest sequence evere concieved, it's as good today as its always been, Han solo was the coolest man I'd ever seen since Clint Eastwood's man with no name. Vader was the best Villian ever in this movie, Liea looked lovely, Cloud City was heaven to behold and the music was the most endearing quality, it blended with the films colour schemes of initial opposing soft Blues to climaxing crimson reds, a tone captured in the best lightsabre fight ever filmed in the saga before the rainbow duels of later SW films took form with ghastly greens and pathetic Purple blades. A gorgeous film, a stunning movie of which its like we will never see again in SW.

ROTJ - Hate is too light a word for what I feel for this film, from the silly Muppet show display at Jabbas Palace to the incomprehnsible Ewok and Rebel defeat of an Empire so strong in force and superior firepower. Vader turned into a wet tissue, Han became a Buffon and Leia a fashion victim. The worst Costume designs, the worst Lightsabre fight, the worst story and the worst film by a mile. The Emperor and the Speeder Bikes are the films only saving grace for me.

TPM - A very pretty disaster with the greatest looking Villian so hideously under-used it hurts to talk about it. I'm not a fan of the French delicasy of Frogs Legs but I'd happily devour Jar Jars if it would stop him appearing in the last film.

AOTC - A Fun film immensly flawed with a laughable script and CGI abuse worthy of a long term jail sentence. I've said it before and i'll say it again, GL is the chief candidate of a Minority Report style injunction to prevent him commiting further future crimes against SW.

FOTR - Since the demise of SW this film came out of nowhere to hit me in almost the same way TESB did when I was a kid. It has since devoured the greater part of my devotion and I am a total LOTR bitch. From the stunning opening prologue to the amazing events in the mines of Moria and the eventual breathtaking fight at Amon Hen where that darn Elf pulls of the most amazing Skills of Archery I've ever seen! Mannnn, could it get any better? Yep - Extended Editions!! :D

TTT - The great got greater with this film especially in its extended form. What a picture, it started in the middle, it grew to a stunning finale and ended in the middle with so much promise of things to come watering my mouth like Niagra! Helms Deep in the rain is something I will take to my grave with a smile and the sight of the Rohirrim led by Gandalf down that mountain slope into a horde of Orcs blinded by light... man, Luca$ should get a job in MacDonalds!

ROTK - Authority is not given to anyone to deny the Retur

23. RahrKast

RahrKast Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 25, 2003
    Hello CeeJay, wondered when we would be seeing you! :)
    I completely agree 100 % with your LOTR gushing! :cool:

"I'm not a fan of the French delicasy of Frogs Legs but I'd happily devour Jar Jars if it would stop him appearing in the last film"
    *face-shock* Great God... :D

24. Lukes_Grandfather

Lukes_Grandfather Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2004

" *Hands over TPM DVD*

*starts a fire*

The TPM DVD doesn't burn. I have actually tried to do so.

;)

25. Darth_Sillyname

Darth_Sillyname Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    Fanboy control would screw it up even worse IMHO.
    - Screw it up even worse? Aha! So you admit that the prequels are screwed up? Join us Adam, it is your destiny!!!! [face_devil]

A lot of you really seem to hate this (yoda lightsaber) scene, is it the way it was done or do you just not like the idea of Yoda fighting in general?
    - I don't like the way it was done in AOTC.
    1. Yoda is old. Having him jump around with a lightsaber and wasting his energy makes him look stupid. If he had done this when he was young and energetic I would have liked it a lot more. If he had done it in a calm and calculated style I also would have liked it more.
    2. It was over the top. Even for a young Yoda it would have been too much. He bounced around in such a ridiculous way, making silly sounds.
    3. It was pointless. A visual joke. The Anakin/Obi/Dooku lightsaber fights were also pointless. There was nothing going on there, except for some predictable arm-chopping. There was no drama, no story, just some lightsaber fighting. Then a CG thing comes in and we get this silly show. I would have prefered to have seen something going on with Anakin and Dooku.
    Dooku - according to off-screen info - was a former Jedi who had left the jedi order because he didn't agree with the jedi, and he always wanted to be more powerful. Sound familiar! Isn't that the path Anakin is going to take?! In the movie he is simply a bad guy played by Christopher Lee who says something like 'harharhar, I'm better than you!'.
    Anakin - All kinds of anger. The dark side had already taken over his actions once when he killed a whole bunch of Tuskens. In the lightsaber fight in the movie he simply waved his saber and stuck out his arm...

But hey, we got Yoda the CG pinball instead :(

Those are the reasons why I'm not happy with the Yoda lightsaber fight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.