main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Basher Sanctuary Episode 4: A New Forum

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Darth-Stryphe, Apr 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hudnall

Hudnall Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 23, 2004
    The best thing about ROTS is that it made me *feel* something other than anger.

lmao

Hey guys - just a quick chime until I get back to work and high speed connections - more of Ben's statements are true after seeing ROTS than were true before seeing ROTS, IMHO.

2. Not_Applicable

Not_Applicable Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Well, Stryphe, the Star Wars saga died for me the moment I read one particular Episode III spoiler about two years ago. In and of itself you might say it's not a big deal, but it unequivocally proved to me once and for all that Lucas didn't care about the story or continuity. Therefore, why should I care? A bunch of "kewl" action scenes and freakishly twisted OT-ish elements won't make up for a vacuum of substance.

This once beloved dog is suffering with a bad case of rabies and at this point I just want it to end. I'm sad that it has come to this, but I'll be relieved when it's over. Then again, with EIII on course to be such a big success, I can't see Dr. Lucastein passing on the chance to milk the franchise for more money to fund his non-existent "independent films that nobody will like." While he's already got a stinkin' boatload of money, I'm sure he'd happily trade it in... for more.

3. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    SHB-JR, good idea for a tally. I indeed don't like ROTS. I think you can put MajorNerd, CeeJay, and hawk in the "dislike" category as well.

4. TrueJedi

TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 22, 2000
    Are you trying to qualify for the 'Most Absurd Gusher Explanation' award or something?

LOL. :D

That would truly be a first. Your points are minor. They ignore the larger picture. And you need to see ROTS before you continue on with this point of view.

We also never saw any of the characters go to the bathroom during the whole saga so does that mean they didn't? Come on, use some common sense here. Are you trying to qualify for the "Most Ridiculous Bashing Argument" Award?

Of all the things to complain about, that has the least validity.

You Bashers have to give it up and surrender to the love of Lucas. :p

5. TrueJedi

Jun 22, 2000
    SHB-JR, excellent idea. :)

And thanks for noticing my position. Yes, I not only liked ROTS but I loved it. I can't imagine anything else Lucas could have done to have made the film any better. Everything that I imagined back in 1977 about how this episode would play out was in the film. This film was made for Bashers. Notice Jar Jar's role in this film?

It's going to be easier to discuss this once the spoiler policy is removed on May 23rd. But in the meantime, can someone, i.e. Binary Sunset state what was missing from ROTS that made the film unworthy of glory to the extent of the OT? I'm sorry if I missed what you already said Binary but if you don't want to repeat it, can you post a link where you explained your thoughts in detail? Thanks. :)

6. Hudnall

Feb 23, 2004

I loved it too, TrueJedi, though I don't feel this is the place to gush over it. It isn't without flaws. Not hardly. The movie definitely still suffers from PT Syndrome. I can understand why some people won't like it -

7. TrueJedi

Jun 22, 2000
    The movie definitely still suffers from PT Syndrome.

Can you please elaborate on that?

Also, is there a place for Bashers to discuss ROTS?

8. Hudnall

Feb 23, 2004
    There is the SW Community ROTS thread where everybody has been posting reviews. That's a good place - spoilers are allowed.

I'm going to pass on the list for a bit. I'm loved the movie and I'm going to enjoy the high while it lasts. I've got a list, definitely have a list, but I just wanna savor the moment before I start getting too critical -

9. Binary_Sunset

Oct 28, 2000
    TrueJedi, I posted my ROTS review in Stryphe's spoiler thread on May 19th sometime in the afternoon. I'll repost it here in the Sanctuary on Monday. :)

EDIT: Also, around April 2nd (when the ROTS script was released) I posted an in-depth review over the next several days in that same thread. Most of what I said in my review of the script applies to ROTS. (Fortunately, a lot of junk was cut from the script. I can think of very few unfortunate cuts.)

10. TrueJedi

Jun 22, 2000
    Binary_Sunset:

TrueJedi, I posted my ROTS review in Stryphe's spoiler thread on May 19th sometime in the afternoon. I'll repost it here in the Sanctuary on Monday.

Great, thank you. :)

Also, considering that ROTS made $50 million on Thursday, do you think your initial thoughts on the box office take might change?

11. Binary_Sunset

Oct 28, 2000
    No, TrueJedi. I've long expected a huge opening weekend. I think the ticket sales will drop-off rather quickly afterwards.

12. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    After my second viewing yesterday, I find ROTS making me appreciate TPM more. Not because I found ROTS to be good, I found myself liking it less yesterday, but ROTS made me see the Star Wars feel in TPM. I'll discuss it more indepth on Monday, but it seems to me now that TPM was the only movie in the Prequels that George put a lot of thought into. I guess I would chalk that up to a more thorough preproduction, where the entire project was more closely looked at, more grace was taken on all counts. It didn't feel rushed, it didn't try to hamfistedly pound OT elements into the film. Not as badly as ROTS. I suppose I'm in the minority that sees ROTS as not only a bad Star Wars movie, but a bad movie in general.

13. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I also think it's too soon to say this film will be bigger than the others just because of its first day #'s.

The hardcore fans(us) of course are going to see the film at least once this 4-day weekend.

ad2dmusic
    Well, I don't know if I'm "what's his name", but I GENERALLY like it.

[face_laugh]

LOL! That just made me laugh. I wonder who he was thinking of too. lol.

14. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    SHB-

Add me to the "Liked It" list.

15. XV426

XV426 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 24, 2001
    Add me to the "Hmm, I'm not sure, yet" list.

I left the movie house with a bad vibe. I've got to see it again before I can make a solid judgement.

16. Draculas_guest

Draculas_guest Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 15, 2001
    I guess you can chalk Draculas_guest up in the "dislike" column. :p

I think you most certainly can! [face_mischief]

After my second viewing yesterday, I find ROTS making me appreciate TPM more. Not because I found ROTS to be good, I found myself liking it less yesterday, but ROTS made me see the Star Wars feel in TPM. I'll discuss it more indepth on Monday, but it seems to me now that TPM was the only movie in the Prequels that George put a lot of thought into...

Thats how I'm starting to feel. TPM I found very dull to watch, with the obvious problems like Jar Jar and bad humour, but there's elements of it that feel more...I dunno, sincere than ROTS. It feels like the film that Lucas wanted to make.
    In a strange way, TPM's distance from the OT allows it a bit more freedom to breathe with its own story.
    ROTS though, just feels like its desperately running through a list of plot points, trying to cram them in before the end credits.
    Anakins fall? Check. Birth of twins? Check.
    There's no sense of adventure to it.

Did I just go and defend TPM? Noooooooo! :oops:

17. a2dmusic

a2dmusic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 4, 2001
    I concur with your TPM comment - but not about ROTS. That's why I usually rank AOTC below TPM in the list. AOTC is a hollow paint by numbers... TPM, while interminably dull and a real misfire, make some effort. That I don't like the fruits of that effort at all is a given. But it tries to do something.

AOTC is Lucas treading water because he didn't have enough story to make a trilogy. And the plot is an insult to the meanest intelligence. And the characters are unlikable even more unlikeable than they were in TPM. And... well, the list goes on.

I'm not like Hud - I don't think TPM is a few things away from a good film. But it pisses me off far less these days.

18. Hudnall

Feb 23, 2004

In a strange way, TPM's distance from the OT allows it a bit more freedom to breathe with its own story.

Well said.

19. a2dmusic

Mar 4, 2001

One that is almost completley unnecessary to tell in the scope of the saga, though.

Nothing happens that we really need to know for the overarching story. OK, Palpatine comes to be chancellor. Really not that important to the bigger picture, which is the chancellor turning the Republic into the Empire. OK, Anakin is a slave. Aside from some possible poetic elements to "Anakin is a slave practically from birth until just before his death" it's not necessary to know any of this stuff to make sense of his fall to the dark side -- nor does it really enhanse the "good man gone bad". It doesn't even really make a difference to his character in any unique way not handled by other things. Midichlorians are still totally unnecessary, even with Palpatine's comment in the Opera House (a line easily altered). It goes on and on.

III basically tells us all we need to know for III to work.

20. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    ad2dmusic, that's right. Hudnall made mention of ROTS working within its own parameters too.

It really does work from scene to scene. AOTC surely does not. The characters go into rewind after every scene. It's like they start over. We don't have that with ROTS.

21. a2dmusic

Mar 4, 2001
    Hey ShaneP, I just noticed we registered at (roughly) the same time. I guess that ties in to the earlier Sanctuary topic of when we joined the boards. In my case, I thin kit was because in March 01, the really heavy AOTC spoilers were starting to come in, and I wanted to know what we were getting into after what happened with TPM...

22. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    a2dmusic
    In my case, I thin kit was because in March 01, the really heavy AOTC spoilers were starting to come in, and I wanted to know what we were getting into after what happened with TPM...

Yeah, me too. I used to lurk but not post in, I think it was late '99, the old forums. I just remember them being real primitive......the smileys, everything. That's when I first learned there were "bashers" and "gushers". That's when I discovered other people felt the same about things in TPM and brought up stuff I never thought of as well. :)

My first posting actually might've been in response to something True Jedi wrote. He said the kids making fun of Anakin in TPM were Lucas' kids and I started posting and almost got banned. [face_blush]

Remember that True Jedi? You said more than once "And I shall now say a prayer for you" or something like that.

23. Malthus

Malthus Jedi Master star 4

Mar 31, 1999
    I can't imagine anything else Lucas could have done to have made the film any better.

Oh, I don't know, TrueJedi. Hmmm, "something about R2D2" is all I can say until Monday. As Hudnall says, RotS has PT Syndrome.

Elaborations? I'll save the details but it's not a spoiler to say that RotS was not spared the "more More MORE!" effect nor is it missing the apparent sell-out to Hollywood action movie values that have crippled my appreciation of the Star Wars franchise. Overly flashy (and sometimes heartless) lightsaber duels, the motion of digital characters (which sometimes are reprises of OT personalities) that don't move like their live counterparts, and un-necessary cameos/detours... yeah, that kind of stuff.

It is less infested than TPM and AotC, but it's still there in many places. No doubt this is what has some people hating it. Can't say I blame them, though I managed to like it quite a bit in places, and I'd call it decent overall. It's too much of a story mess (due to the momentum of junk from Ep 1 and 2) for me to rate it higher than any of the originals.

24. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Put me in the not sure list. I was thinking about all the truly awful things in TPM the other day:

Two Headed pod-race announcer
    Ben Quadrineros
    All the goofy pod racers
    Young Anakin
    Jar Jar Binks
    Boss Nass
    Incredible boredom in the middle
    Gungan City
    Droid/Gungan fight
    Terrible Space Battle
    No decent villain
    Terrible dialogue
    No Obi-Wan screentime
    excessive CGI
    The list goes on and on

For ROTS, I can't bring myself to get even close to all those things which makes me feel the PT has clouded my view of it. Two things I do think ruin ROTS for me:

1. Too much CGI. I know I whine about this all the time but I'm sick of seeing actors standing around a bluescreen. It looks really bad, really, really bad.

2. Worst music score ever. I'm sure Williams had some great stuff but most of it was bits and pieces chopped into the film. In the OT, the music almost seemed to drive the film. It was a stand out. In ROTS, I can't even hum any of the new music!

Otherwise, there are only minor flaws here and there. Which means, I will give this movie another go next weekend. I'm going to see it with my girlfriend and I'll see what she thinks too.

25. TrueJedi

Jun 22, 2000
    Remember that True Jedi? You said more than once "And I shall now say a prayer for you" or something like that.

LOL. :D

Those were the days. :)

Yes, but now we're all good friends. See what praying will do for you? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.