main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Basher Sanctuary Episode I: The Phantom Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Darth-Stryphe, Jan 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CeeJay

CeeJay Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    Jedi Armour wouldnt restrict their movements as we are not talking about full body coverings like a medieval knight but more like the Samurai to whom the Jedi are based. Samurai had levels of Armour they wore to protect themselves in conflict but this stuff wasn't designed to cover every part of their body and restrict their motion. What Vader wheres is about the minimum a Jedi would need as standard issue. A chest plate maybe at times, shoulder, elbow and knee plating aswell but still with the robes etc.

I hated Lukes ROTJ costume when I was a kid because it didn't looked like a poor man's attempt at Vaders costume. Looking back at it now I hate the whole look even more, Luke should have grown a beard and longer hair or something; a goatee would have been perfect. His clean cut look doesnn't quite smack at the natural look the other Jedi have with their appearance, he looks like an imperial officer fresh from the barbers.

2. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    CeeJay has hit upon something I hate about ROTJ. Luke's hair.

Especially in the pre-fight scenes in the Emperor's throne room.

I don't mind his hair in ANH and ESB, I mean, sure, I'll make jokes at its expense, but in the end I don't mind it much.

ROTJ it didn't work for me.

I don't think he ought to have grown a beard or anything. Just, I dunno, looked a little less properly combed up top?

Rick McCallum loves you!

3. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I never thought of a Beatles haircut as being fresh from the barber. Only in the UK I guess... ;)

Yah I guess longer hair like Anakin's in Ep 3 would be interesting. Oh well, not a big deal to me.

4. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
  5. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    Actually, I like the ROTJ look Luke had. It was what I thought a young Obi-wan would be like. Short hair, serious attire, clean-shaven and disciplined while young, leaving the beard for an older more distinguished look.

6. SHB-JR

SHB-JR Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    "LSHB" !?! L S H B !?!

Why do I feel strangely violated !!! :0

Yours SHB JR

Who will do what they did with Ghostbusters and put 'The Real' before his name ;)

As to the whole Jedi uniform thing- if you take off the long cloak, for example Obi Wan fighting Dooku in AOTC, it isn't too bad. I've seen the whole 'Jedi shouldn't rely upon armour' argument before and to a degree it makes sense. Their ally is the Force. Call it a faith defense rather than a physical one etc.
    OK fine, so Jedi don't wear armour. But the Tatooine style is just not nessecary. Only excuse I can think of is that it does look monkish.

But then why would Ben 'in hiding' keep wearing it ?
    Bit silly

7. SHB-JR

SHB-JR Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    Don't knock Lukes look in ROTJ !! I think it's perfect. The black suit reflecting how close he might come to his fathers fates,ditto the full cloak, the clean shaven look, still showning him as a 'Galhad type figure' a core of innoccences as it were. Also, it's like a fresh face and start.
    Apart from being much too skinny Hamil looks perfect in ROTJ. Have you seen the mess he looks with a breard !?!
    He is as Anakin was (dress wise) but cooler and about to have the same choices thrust upon him.

ROTJ outfit rocks !!!
    SHB JR

Edit : I seem to be dysliesix, dyslesic, dis... can't spell to save my life today !!!

8. Lukes_Grandfather

Lukes_Grandfather Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2004

Let's not forget that Luke was at a point in his life when he was flirting with the dark side, learning about his dark heritage, etc. when he wore all that black. He even has a Palpatine-like cloak.

Luke, in ROTJ, in front of his wardrobe mirror, in deep thoughts: "I'm feeling a bit darkish today... White is so yesterday...I think I will wear black attire. Yeah, I shall do so... Daddy will be so proud of me! Palpatine too..." [face_blush]

ObiWan: "Luke... may the force be with you, always.
    One final important note... please be careful that you never trip over your robe in public view! Doesn't look good!" ;)

9. LSHB

LSHB Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2004
    Well, I definitely think that the Jedi mysticism thing necessitates robe-wearing.. layering up in armor plates is a bit too artificial and mechanic for the good ones anyway. Note that I am intentionally avoiding the whole midichlorian mess. Well, sorta.

Plus a guy in armor stands out. There's little distinguishing about a Jedi beyond their lightsabers, which they take pains to conceal unless necessary. It's obvious to us as the audience who the Jedi are, but there are numerous examples in the films where they have to identify themselves (like in TPM when nobody knows Qui-Gon is a Jedi at first "Whaddya think you some kinda jedi?", or in AotC when Obi-Wan and Anakin chase the bounty hunter into the cantina and Obi-Wan gets offered death-sticks). Hence wearing basic commonplace robes greatly facilitates the investigations the Jedi are always on about ("We are keepers of the peace, not soldiers"). Now guys like Boba Fett stick out like a sore thumb in their heavy armor, but they're all about combat and not stealth. As a side note, I agree that often the robes look a little goofy, in a California beach-bum kinda way, but after Jar Jar anything is dignified.

10. Glorian-Eversea

Glorian-Eversea Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 26, 2002
    Look at the icon! He don't need no stinking beard! Luke not looking old enough was never a problem.

His maturity is clear in his performance. Mark doesn't need to look like someone's father....he needs to look like a young man who is coming of age.

And as for his dark costume.... just like all of us, our attire often speaks to our mood.
    IN ROTJ, Luke is dealing with the revelation that his trusted mentor deceived him, that his greatest enemy may be his father, and that he has been given the chance to rule at the right hand of Vader.

Its also nice symbolism that makes plenty of sense. I think some of the above alterations to ROTJ end up throwing out the baby with the bathwater! In my opinion, the movie was still a good 40 percent better than the PT. It doesn't need that much fixing.

Also: I don't mind Jedi in robes. It could've worked and been pretty cool, though I agree it makes little sense for Obi to walk around in his old Jedi outfit. I think the Obi outfit could have been the Jedi Temple/meditation and learning attire.

But when they go out and about the galaxy, they should've worn something more like Anakin's dark leather.

Then it makes sense that Obi would have the costume on...and that it might not be that recognizable...(because the Jedi didn't wear it away from the Monastery.)

Glorian

11. Pizza-the-Hutt

Pizza-the-Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    One reason the Jedi may not wear armour as an in-universe explanation could be that it has only been discovered relatively recently. The Jedi have become so complaisant that they do not feel there is enough of a threat for them to alter their dress to incorporate it.

12. Darth_Sillyname

Darth_Sillyname Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    The Jedi don't need armor, but that doesn't mean they should be walking around like farmers from Tatooine. Surely they could wear simple, but elegant and 'knightly' clothes. Different robes that are a bit more stylish.

I liked the way Luke looked in ROTJ, but in an interview or making of special Mark Hamill said he wanted a more 'pirate' like look. Big scar in his face, a big earring...
    Pirates Of The Dune Sea, The Curse Of The Black Jedi Outfit.

(Shudders. Can you imagine CGI Yoda in multicolored armor spinning around fighting Dooku? LOL!)
    - I hope the ILM/Lucasfilm people aren't reading this thread. That idea is so terrible they might just convince Lucas to go for it!!

13. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    Once again, CeeJay nails it: Jedi Armour wouldnt restrict their movements as we are not talking about full body coverings like a medieval knight but more like the Samurai to whom the Jedi are based. Samurai had levels of Armour they wore to protect themselves in conflict but this stuff wasn't designed to cover every part of their body and restrict their motion. What Vader wheres is about the minimum a Jedi would need as standard issue. A chest plate maybe at times, shoulder, elbow and knee plating as well but still with the robes etc.

Exactly. I'm not envisioning Jedi covered in armor head to toe, lumbering and clunking around like the Tin Man in Oz. I'm picturing what CeeJay wrote. And as he said, the Jedi would still have robes. They need robes to hide their foot movements, which are crucial in kendo-style swordsmanship.

But not the robes of Tatooine moisture farmers! While I would prefer some samurai-type armor, I would be OK without it as long as the Jedi didn't all dress like crotchety old Uncle Owen.

Further, what's with making most everyone on the Jedi Council look like freaks? There's only one human, and that's Sam Jackson who, I'm sorry, does not look like a Jedi. He looks like...Sam Jackson. I still can't believe that Lucas made this role for him just because Jackson said it'd be cool on the Jay Leno show. I wish that, with the exception of Yoda, the Jedi Council were all humans of western European ("knights") and Japanese (samurai) ancestry. It would even be cool to have them sit poised on the floor Japanese-style instead of dumping their bums into some easy chair.

Instead, just look at what makes up the Jedi Council: Conehead, Miss Yoda, Hairface, Long Neck (or Giraffe Man or whatever his name is), etc. [face_plain]

Regarding Luke's hairstyle in ROTJ: It sucks because it's the same haircut his Aunt Beru had.

14. Binary_Sunset

Oct 28, 2000
    Star Wars voted the best men's movie of all-time:

MEN'S MOVIES

1 Star Wars
    2 The Great Escape
    3 The Godfather
    4 Scarface
    5 Pulp Fiction
    6 The Sting
    7 Apocalypse Now
    8 Goodfellas
    9 Bullitt
    10 Reservoir Dogs
    11 Full Metal Jacket
    12 The Shawshank Redemption
    13 The Matrix
    14 Dumb And Dumber
    15 Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
    17 Raging Bull
    18 Blade Runner
    19 Lord Of The Rings
    20 Wayne's World

TOP 20

CHICK'S FLICKS

1 Dirty Dancing
    2 Bridget Jones' Diary
    3 Thelma and Louise
    4 Steel Magnolias
    5 Breakfast at Tiffany's
    6 The Piano
    7 Titanic
    8 Gone With The Wind
    9 From Here To Eternity
    10 When Harry Met Sally
    11 Truly, Madly, Deeply
    12 Fried Green Tomatoes
    13 Grease
    14 Ghost
    15 Bridges Of Madison County
    16 The Color Purple
    17 Little Women
    18 Shakespeare In Love
    19 True Romance
    20 Out Of Africa

15. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    19 Lord Of The Rings

LOTR still made it to the top 20 of "men's movies" despite all the "Frodo is gay" jokes? Wow!

[face_laugh]

16. Glorian-Eversea

Glorian-Eversea Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 26, 2002
    "I wish that, with the exception of Yoda, the Jedi Council were all humans of western European ("knights") and Japanese (samurai) ancestry."

I disagree...I see no reason that men and women of other ethnicities couldn't be represented. Aliens, too, are okay.
    Why wouldn't there be, given Yoda's position? But they don't have to be visually overdone aliens and they don't have to be in the majority.

They need to get actors and actresses that uphold the dignity of the Jedi ideal and not hinder them with so much CGI and makeup that we can't relate to them.

How great of a character would Spock be if he looked like Dex or Hammerhead?
    Without the tools of expression and the familiarity of a human style face, its difficult to give off a vibe as subtle as nobility or skepticism.

That said, there really isn't any reason there couldn't or shouldn't be black and Latino Jedis. Once you establish that people of diffrent ethnicities exist in your universe, you would almost have to explain why there aren't Jedis of diffrent ethnicities.

The problem, IMHO, is that the zany aliens of the PT Jedi knighthood are visually jarring and don't speak to the elegant chivalry of knighthood.

I always imagined there were alien Jedi in the SW universe...but it doesn't mean you can't balance it so that most of the characters give you a fundamental idea of what Jedi represent.

GL

17. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    And Star Wars is #1 despite all the 3PO is gay jokes.

Binary, where's that list from?

As I was reading the Men's list I was thinking - it's nearly all Crime or War films, we really are living up to the stereotype.

And then I got to the Women's list , and that was worse!!
    Dirty Dancing??!!
    Steel Magnolias??!!
    Truly Madly Deeply - Aauugghh!! Awful stuff.
    True Romance - huh? how'd that get in there?

g

18. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    Binary -- the Jedi Council had other humans on it: Depa Billaba and Adi Gallia.

I wish that, with the exception of Yoda, the Jedi Council were all humans

But George wants to show folks of all kinds getting along together. It would seem a little racist (speciesist?) to me if all the humans were in charge and sent out all the aliens to go die.

Long Neck (or Giraffe Man or whatever his name is)

Yarael Poof is my dad.
    / obscure?

Rick McCallum loves you!

19. LSHB

LSHB Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2004
    Plus there's the interesting comparison to the post-Republic Empire world where everyone in control is a human (albeit now we know most are cloned). And, well, British. But still, the transition from a multi-alien-ethnic government to the monolithic Empire does have a human supremacy thing to it.

On the negative side, it's much harder for aliens to grow killer muttonchop sideburns like Tarkin's aide.

20. Pizza-the-Hutt

May 21, 2002
    where everyone in control is ... well, British.

Just how it should be. ;) Although to be honest I don't really remember any Scots, Welsh or Northern Irish?

21. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Although to be honest I don't really remember any Scots, Welsh or Northern Irish?

Ian McDiarmid = Scottish

As was Admiral Ozzel (Michael Sheard) from Empire

22. Pizza-the-Hutt

May 21, 2002
    Ian McDiarmid = Scottish

Ah that explains the 'Mc' then. Lucas should have given the Emperor a Glaswegian accent though, that's an opportunity missed.

23. The_Ultimate_Fett

The_Ultimate_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2002
    The reason why the movies on the men's list are almost all crime or war films are because generally men would cringe less while watching Pulp Fiction. Where's Fight Club on that list? That is a great Men's movie.

24. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Where's Fight Club on that list? That is a great Men's movie.

Do not talk about Fight Club!

Hey, if I didn't say it someone else would've. ;)

g

25. Binary_Sunset

Oct 28, 2000
    Gezvader28, that list of top movies is in TF.N's headlines. That second list makes me scared of my wife.

Adam wrote: But George wants to show folks of all kinds getting along together. It would seem a little racist (speciesist?) to me if all the humans were in charge and sent out all the aliens to go die.

This reveals one of the underlying problems with the PT: It is manifestly set in a different galaxy than the galaxy of the OT. In the OT, the galactic civil war is between humans. Consider:

SW and ESB: The Empire is 100% human, and the Rebellion is all-but 100% human (Chewie being the lone exception).

ROTJ: The Empire is 100% human, and the Rebellion is mostly human. Four exceptions:

1. Chewie (duh)
    2. Lando's copilot
    3. Wasn't there a blue dude at the briefing?
    4. the Mon Calamari [face_plain]

So what the hell happened? Continuity Glitch #107. In the OT, aliens were marginal and on the fringes (as far as human affairs were concerned). The exception that proves the rule are the Mon Calamari, and they are part of the fight only in the last round. But the PT has this Star Trek-style medley of all kind of freaks and weirdos rubbing shoulders in the Republic Senate. This cheapens and demeans the aliens because it turns them into humans in alien costumes. In the OT the aliens are too, well, alien to give a damn about what those humans were fighting about. They had their own affairs that didn't concern humans.

Lastly, who the devil are Depa Billaba and Adi Gallia?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.