main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Basher Sanctuary Episode I: The Phantom Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Darth-Stryphe, Jan 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    ROTJ also has the Ewoks, of course they are not the Rebellion but they fight alongside them.

Lucas has said when he first thought up Star Wars he wanted this world full of different creatures and species but when he made ANH he obviously couldn't do everything he wanted (the best example is Jabba). So now he has the chance to create the kind of world he originally wanted to, I have no problem with it.

2. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    I think Slave 2 is right about this one. CGI gives Lucas the ability to have more aliens in the movie. I think that is why they are so prevalent (and in larger roles) in the PT than in the OT. WHat this means for continuity: I don't know.

3. Pizza-the-Hutt

Pizza-the-Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    I think the problem is that Lucas doesn't seem willing to use the same alien species twice. He's got one set for the Trade Federation, one for the cloners, and then the rest just seem to be pretty much one offs, like the guys in the Jedi Council.

4. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Lastly, who the devil are Depa Billaba and Adi Gallia?

They're a couple of hot babes on the jedi council. Actually I don't rememebr seeing Depa. And until today I thought adi was a Twi'Lek 'cos of the tentacles, but I just looked at a pic and the tentacles are part of her hat, so i guess she's human after all.

g

5. LSHB

LSHB Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2004
    I agree with Pizza-ze-Hutt that Lucas definitely has way too many cast-away aliens. Of course someone will eventually show up with an argument that with tens of thousands of planets in the Republic each presumably with at least 1 intelligent alien race on them (how would you join otherwise) and only 6 (or 9) movies blah blah blah

Point being, there are a fair bit of aliens in ANH and ESB, but they're mostly in bars, sorry, cantinas, and are, shall we say, dignified. Even Greedo had class, and his head hits the table in a most resounding and satisfying way (let's see CGI pull that off).

In TPM and ATOC, most of them are goofy or shrill or both. So you've gone from films where aliens aren't getting most of the screen time (and are consequently more interesting) to ones where they're both getting a lot of screen time, and using it to slobber on one another or stick their tongues in energy couplings. I'd much prefer a reduced number (and variety) of aliens, but with meatier roles for them. The droids are the comic relief.

6. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Of course someone will eventually show up with an argument that with tens of thousands of planets in the Republic each presumably with at least 1 intelligent alien race on them (how would you join otherwise)

Are you suggesting that you need to be intelligent in order to participate in politics?! :eek: :p

Rick McCallum loves you!

7. LSHB

Apr 12, 2004
    Heh, no..but you do need to be able to figure out how to climb into one of those floaty disc things in the Coruscant Senate chamber.

Those things look tricky.

8. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    "Are you suggesting that you need to be intelligent in order to participate in politics?!"

I think that answer is quite obviously yes, look at GWB.

9. Lord_Imperius

Lord_Imperius Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2004
    As far as the Jedi costumes go:

I do think it makes sense for them to be wearing simple robes when out and about the place doing various things or just hanging around the Jedi Temple (those robes do look pretty comfortable after all).

However, I do question how much sense it makes for them to turn up on Geonosis expecting a fight wearing long, unwieldy and highly flammable dressing gowns.

10. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Han Solo was stuck in his old smelly clothes he was frozen in for the last few months with nowt but his old waistcoat from 4 our years ago and a perverts trench coat.

Ceejay, your hatred blinds you. All of Han's outfits are similiar, but none are identical. Boy, when you hate a movie, you just really hate it. At least everyone knows where you stand ;)

Liea got caught in a series of silly wear too, first a puny looking bounty hunter costume

You're stretching now. That outfit was cool!

Exactly. Jedi need armor. Remember in ESB how Vader's armor saved him from getting his arm lopped off by Luke?

Eh? In the ESB battle, sabers were cutting through metal like cheese. I don't think Vader's leather had anything to do with why he still has a (mechnical) arm.

And his name is...

// cue Imperial March

PHILIP WISE.

Okay, Vader.

LOL!!!!
    Grilled-Sarlacc: "Phillip Wise will show you the true meaning of The Force dot net. He is your master now!"

EDIT: Maybe I need to add this to my sig:
    "Qui-Gon action figure with armor is still wrong!"

LOL!! It is at that.

I hated Lukes ROTJ costume when I was a kid because it didn't looked like a poor man's attempt at Vaders costume. Looking back at it now I hate the whole look even more, Luke should have grown a beard and longer hair or something; a goatee would have been perfect. His clean cut look doesnn't quite smack at the natural look the other Jedi have with their appearance

What? The natural look of a green frogman and an old hermit (only Jedi references as of 1983)? Right, there was a lot to go by in 1983

As to the general costume discussion, I don't have a problem with the desert robes being the Jedi robes. It's obvious revisionism, but it's only visual revisionism, not plot revisionism, and I'm OK with that.

EDIT: *%#@! Now that I'm a manager, I can't write in my joke HTML, it thinks it's real! Stupid browser!

11. The_Ultimate_Fett

The_Ultimate_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2002
    Are you suggesting that you need to be intelligent in order to participate in politics?!

[face_laugh]

God forbid! I wish it were so, so I could watch 24 instead of a stupid press conference, which was yet another example that suggests that you really don't need to be intelligent to be in politics.

12. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Apparently not; just look at the League of Ordinary Jedi Gentlemen. Or the Senate itself; after a thousand years of intergalactic Republic, they are still shouting and screaming hehe. Also note the Senate chamber itself; ever seen a more unpractical room?

13. Ree Yees

Apr 6, 2000
    Man, the OT seems so simple, so lacking of grandieur when compared to the almost pompous epicness of 'Fellowship of the Ring', 'The Two Towers', and 'Return of the King'. I am losing what little interest I have left in SW day by day. I was such a huge fan. I collected everything which had to do with SW. I defended it against any criticism. I loved it. I watched, and re-watched. I have seen the original trilogy more than a thousand times, often spending entire lazy sundays watching all three in a row.

Yesterday I was planning on watching SW. But it has become such a bleak, almost TV-movie-like experience compared to LOTR. The majesty of it, the impressions, it is all lessened by the sheer power of the Ring, and the utter meaninglessness and failure of the prequel trilogy.

These factors combined with a healthy dose of the book series 'A Song of Ice and Fire' had led me onto a new path in life; a new life where I do not feel hooked to SW, where I can keep my money in my pocket whenever I see a SW gizmo I didn't already own.

The prequels, while severely traumatizing my spirit, has also released me from the bonds of the original trilogy, letting me see beyond the simplicity of George Lucas and find better experiences, better alternatives.

There ARE alternatives to Star Wars, I can see them now..

I'm proud to say that I am no longer a Star Wars geek, just a former fan.

:)

14. Darth_Meul

Darth_Meul Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2004
    I'm proud to say that I am no longer a Star Wars geek, just a former fan.

Go on, now you just have to take it to the next level.

15. hoth-nudist

hoth-nudist Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2000
    I dont mind aliens as jedi knights. I do agree with binary and CJ on armor though. I would like something similar to count dooku's garb, except the cape is a brown robe and the black fatigues have vader-like armor.

And as for Luca$ adding more aliens to the OT. Just look at mos eisley in original ANH as luke, obiwan and the droids are walking from place to place. There are PLENTY of aliens, droids, and mysterious people going about their business. There was no need to overkill with cgi, for the SE's. In the SE's and PT, Luca$ has demystified mos eisley and tattoine respectively. In the SE's mos eisley now has a variey of cgi "cuteness" to it. A bunch of silly creatures doing silly things to take away the intrigue and attention to the mission. In ANH SE, Luca$ forgot to change obiwans comments about mos eisley.

Obiwan: "Mos eisley comedy-circus, you will never find a more obnoxious hive of stupidity and absurdness, we must act serious."

When I watch ANH, the way its presented feels like tattoine is being introduced for the 1st time. I LOVE ANH's intro to tattoine, with its mysterious creatures. But due to lazy, so-called creativity, its introduced in the lousy PT. So for me, the luster of the once great intro in ANH is removed. The place is a joke in the PT and its wore itself out. And we get to go back in ep3....yipee! Its easy to point out that when the SE's were released and we witnessed all that cgi silliness, it was a sign of things to come.

TPM-Jar-jerk and the dungans, the "roger roger" stooge droids from the trade fabrication. The silly fight between the elite frog force and the "roger rogers". I just love how the gungans are expert marksmen. You see tons of electro balls raining down on the battledroids but only 1 or 2 droids are getting hit at a time.

AOTC-obiwan in the diner with dorkster porkster. Its stupid that a jedi needs to visit a skid row diner for information. more silly battledroids, teamed up with silly bugs. And for geonosian entertainment, the wonderful circus arena. Im surprised Luca$ didnt have:

1)obiwan balancing himself on a unicycle while jugging several lightsabers.
    2) padme taming the wildcat and making it jump through a flaming hoop.
    3) Anakin doing multiple flips on the trapeze and landing on the red rhino-creature.

The jedi should have brought the gungans with them for the silly fight against the droids and bugs. The gungans could have put good use to those long elastic tongue's and eat the bugs!

16. SHB-JR

SHB-JR Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    E Tu Rees Yees ! :( ;) Actually I know how you're feeling but still am a fan. Sometimes I can't watch the OT because a part of me goes 'what's the point, this is good but I'm supposed to think of it as one story with the cack that is the PT !?! The PT has started to taint my beloved OT!! Ah well, as long as I ignore the PT I'm ok, much like anyone with sense ignores ANY Highlander sequel.

Right !?! Good !!

And Rees you're still a fan, just a disenchanted one.
    The day you stop feeling the magic when watching the OT, well that'll be the day you stop being a fan.
    And that day is not today !!

SHB JR

17. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    That best boys/girls film was from a Tesco survey. (Tesco are a British supermarket chain.)

Interesting to see the original Star Wars film was at No.1 in "Best boys films", but that no other SW films made the list- while the Lord of the Rings Trilogy was down at 19...

I suppose that addresses the "non-Fan's favourites" debate a few pages back...

>>>>The Yoda fight... Seriously, when I saw it a few people laughed a bit, because it was so silly.

Funny- I laughed at it because I loved it. Also, it was the first and only time I've seen a film in the cinema where the audience applauded (except for when I saw it again a couple of days later.) That just doesn't happen in England very often. (Mind you, I don't go tto eh cinema very often.)

Still, it's interesting that people were doing the same thing for a different reason, from your point of view...

>>>>The Jedi garb worn by anakin in at the end of ROTJ just goes to show how much thought went into that film - NONE!

Does the same apply to the Jedi garb worn by Yoda, and the amount of thought that went into ESB?

>>>Jedi need armor. Remember in ESB how Vader's armor saved him from getting his arm lopped off by Luke? So what does everyone in the PT do? Dress in the latest Tatooine fashions. [rolls_eyes]

In the same way that Obi Wan's robes saves him from getting his arm and leg lopped off by Dooku?

18. Ree Yees

Apr 6, 2000
    Go on, now you just have to take it to the next level.

I'm a forefront radical basher you know. ;)

The day you stop feeling the magic when watching the OT, well that'll be the day you stop being a fan.

That day is looming closer as if I was standing at the very borders of Mordor itself. How can the OT feel magical when it's creator turns out to be a hoax.

19. Darth_Meul

Feb 4, 2004
    That day is looming closer as if I was standing at the very borders of Mordor itself.

Then I'll give you the same reaction I had at the end of ROTK : "Just throw the damn thing in the volcano and get it over with." ;)

20. LSHB

Apr 12, 2004
    I definitely agree that the Lord of the Rings movies kicked the daylights out of TPM and AOTC. Not even close. But I still like the original films just as much. The problem goes all the way back to the scripts..Jackson had Tolkien, Lucas has..Lucas. And, apparently, a bunch of yes-men. If you never hear any criticism, you basically go with what you come up with first, and it's hard to get everything right on the first try. Sweet Jar Jar, what might have been..

21. Darth_Meul

Feb 4, 2004
    Did Tolkien have a bunch of yesmen, or nomen ?[face_plain]?

22. Ree Yees

Apr 6, 2000
    He had some no-men; he had to split the book into a trilogy, for example. How so?

Then I'll give you the same reaction I had at the end of ROTK : "Just throw the damn thing in the volcano and get it over with."

That's what I thought at the end of AOTC!

23. Darth_Meul

Feb 4, 2004
    He had some no-men; he had to split the book into a trilogy, for example. How so?

A friend dropped the Two Towers EE here recently, and I'm struggling myself through the documentaries. Some of the things I picked up were that some styles Tolkien used were "not done" in that time, and should have been avoided by "professional writers". I got the impression he stuck to his vision, despite "no-men". The splitting and titling of the books seemed to be the only compromise, which has zero affect on the actual content. I found Tolkien going back to The Hobbit to change certain passages (that became plotholes due to LOTR) most amusing [face_laugh].

That's what I thought at the end of AOTC!

Nice :D. Wasn't worth a discussion on the fanforums, I thought.

24. Lukes_Grandfather

Lukes_Grandfather Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2004

Did Tolkien have a bunch of yesmen, or nomen?

Lucas has a bunch of yesmen (e.g, Rick McCallum).
    Tolkien had a bunch of nomen (e.g, his book publisher).
    Jackson has a bunch of women (Phillipa Boyens, Fran Walsh).

:p

25. Darth_Meul

Feb 4, 2004
    Lucas has a bunch of yesmen (e.g, Rick McCallum).
    Tolkien had a bunch of nomen (e.g, his book publisher).
    Jackson has a bunch of women (Phillipa Boyens, Fran Walsh).

Great. And who of those guys stayed true to their vision?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.