Basher Sanctuary Episode I: The Phantom Thread

Discussion in 'The Phantom Menace' started by Darth-Stryphe, Jan 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Draculas_guest Jedi Knight

star 2
    I have to agree with Binary and Glorian.

I really admire the 70's Lucas because he did such great work. I mean the stuff he did with American Graffiti, Star Wars, Indy et al, the 70's Lucas came across as a director bursting with creativity, challenging himself with different projects. (I'm not a huge fan of THX-1138, but there's elements of it I admire in principle)

I see Lucas now, and he comes across as Mr Star Wars the ice-cream man.

I dont think there's anything wrong with the fact that he has a lot of money, I think the problem is that he didnt direct in such a long amount of time.
    I mean look at Spielberg and the work he's produced over the last 20 years. Some of it has been great, some of it hasnt been so great. Some of it was just ok, but at the very least he kept trying his hand at different things. Whether he was doing something heavy like Schindlers List, or something fun like Jurassic Park, he keeps tackling different projects and develops his directing skills in different ways. Even recently, he did some hard sci-fi with AI and Minority Report, and then did something completey different with Catch me if you can. Spielberg is like an athlete that's kept himself in good health by training every day, or a great guitar player thats put in his hours worth practising.

Lucas comes across as rusty in comparison. I really wish he'd returned to directing in the early 90's or something so he could have got back into the swing of things by the time TPM came around.
    In all honesty I'm probably more interested in what Lucas will do after the PT now than I am in Episode 3. I still think there's a good director in him somewhere, he just needs to try something fresh.
  2. LSHB Jedi Knight

star 1
    I think if Episode III is good, much will be forgiven. Perhaps all. I don't know many people who want to hate Star Wars, and the mere fact that so many 'bashers' still hang around shows that we're hoping for something better. People forget about the 'die-hard' in front of 'die-hard fan'; someone who disliked TPM and AOTC and is still into it certainly fits the bill in my book.

As for what would make Episode III 'good' for most people, well..there're whole forums devoted to it. Yet at the same time, I think we all have an idea somewhere inside us about what 'good' star wars is. For a long time, it used to be nearly all of it, so much so that you could identify pieces that seemed a bit off very specifically (for me pre-TPM it's Ewoks and then the Greedo-shoots-first updates). I honestly don't think it would be that hard to get back to the heart of what made the early films great for me: an emphasis on characters and dialogue over special effects, less explanation (midichlorians) and more exploration (how many times do we need to see the interior of the Senate chamber? And I find Coruscant to be, ironically, one of the least memorable planets ever rendered).

Oh, and I can do without yet another tired Amidala/handmaiden decoy switch. Even the Nemodians are wising up to that one.
  3. BlueTrooper Jedi Knight

star 3
    "What was AOTC's Oscar nomination for? And what movie beat AOTC for that particular Oscar?"

AOTC was nominated for a Visual Effects Oscars and it was beaten by none other than LOTR: The Two Towers.

The only oscar TPM should have won is the FX Oscar. The sound and sound editing nominations were not deserved. We heard lightsabre sounds and spaceships flying by 20 years ago.
  4. Binary_Sunset Force Ghost

star 5
    "I see Lucas now, and he comes across as Mr Star Wars the ice-cream man."

[face_laugh] Good one, Draculas guest!

Is there any realistic chance that E3 will get any Oscar nominations or awards? In my view, it is a virtual certainty that E3 will get a nomination for special effects. Since it doesn't have LOTR to compete against, it stands a decent chance of actually winning. But I don't think it will get any other nominations besides that one.
  5. JohnWilliams00 Jedi Master

star 4
    Spielberg is like an athlete that's kept himself in good health by training every day, or a great guitar player thats put in his hours worth practising.

Good analogy. If Spielberg didn't direct for 20 years, as good as he is, his work would've suffered. I'm actually impressed how consistently he's been working and his movies are always pretty good to great. I would've said that Hook would be my least favorite work of his. I've never seen 1941.

I don't think Episode III will win any Oscars because it will be more of the same. CG aliens. CG sets. There will likely be many astounding movies in 2005 that will deserve it more.
  6. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 6
    To me, the plot of SW is very simple: good vs. evil, the good guys win in the end and the bad guys lose.

TPM is very murky--we don't know who the real bad guys are, the politics are very convoluted and not explained very well, either. It's still a story of good vs. evil, but not told as straightforward as SW.

And it looks like the bad guys are winning.
  7. Sith_Sensei__Prime Force Ghost

star 5
    It's too early to say if Episode III will be nominate for anything at all. But if any, it would be for special effects.

As far as Episode III having an impact on Ep I or II? Doubt it. Most fans see the foreshadowing and set ups in the prequels and still don't find them to be quality films.

However, I'm hopeful for a mind blowing Ep3.
  8. Azanulbizar Jedi Knight

star 1
    Anyone know off hand what films might be competing with EpIII for awards? Or what other movies are coming out around the same time? It will be curious to see if other studios hold back a bit. I'm guessing EpIII will get a bigger box office showing than AOTC simply because it's the last one, sort of how TPM made tons of money since it was the first one in years.

I don't suppose the Academy has been holding out on nominations and awards for the prequels as they wait for the final one in the trilogy like ROTK. :p
  9. BlueTrooper Jedi Knight

star 3
    Boxoffice wise, ROTJ made the least amount of money compared to the first two movies. Episode 3 will probably follow the same trend and make around $500 million Worldwide unless it's really good which I doubt.

Oscar wise, EP3 will most certainly be up for an FX Oscar and will have to compete against King Kong, Harry Potter 4, Chronicles of Naria and a few Superhero films.
  10. Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep

star 6
    Star Wars voted the best men's movie of all-time

**looks at list** Ok, this list sucks. Sure, it's got some great ones on it, but as a whole, this list sucks. And "True Romance" is #19 chick flick? Ok, now I know these lists are a joke. They didn't poll anyone, they went through a movie book and said "Breakfast at Tiffany's, chicks dig that, right?" True Romance is anything but a chick flick. It's an [edit] Quenton Tartino movie, for goodness sakes.

Yesterday I was planning on watching SW. But it has become such a bleak, almost TV-movie-like experience compared to LOTR. The majesty of it, the impressions, it is all lessened by the sheer power of the Ring, and the utter meaninglessness and failure of the prequel trilogy.

Wait, is this the same Ree-Yees that thought 2/3rds of LOTR was a disappointment (TTT and ROTK)?

LOTR shouldn't effect your opinion of the OT. You're comparing green apples with red apples. They're both apples, but not quite the same. The OT provides something that LOTR doesn't, and visa versa.

These factors combined with a healthy dose of the book series 'A Song of Ice and Fire' had led me onto a new path in life; a new life where I do not feel hooked to SW, where I can keep my money in my pocket whenever I see a SW gizmo I didn't already own.

I didn't need Fire and Ice or LOTR for that, all I needed was Yoda-man. I just couldn't take new SW products seriously enough anymore to justify the kind of money I used to spend after seeing Yoda screaming and spinning. **shudders**

Then I'll give you the same reaction I had at the end of ROTK : "Just throw the damn thing in the volcano and get it over with."

Isn't that what Sam said?

"That's what I thought at the end of AOTC!"

Nice. Wasn't worth a discussion on the fanforums, I thought.

Obviously Ree-Yees thought differently, and in the Basher Sanctuary, he gets to have those discussions if he thinks they're worth having.

Now he's a pompous buffoon who doesn't know which end is up. But that doesn't change the fact that he used to be very, very cool.

Come on, Binary, no name calling. **Shakes head sadly**

Loved by most Tolkien fans
    SW fan community divided

Hate to tell you, but the Tolkiens are just as divided (if not more so).

And this has probably been answered a hundred times, but why is the TPM forum pushed down in the list of forums?

Uh... huh?
  11. JohnWilliams00 Jedi Master

star 4
    Anyone know off hand what films might be competing with EpIII for awards? Or what other movies are coming out around the same time?

Some big movies that are slated for summer 2005 include "Mission Impossible 3", Ridley Scott's "Kingdom of Heaven" (with Orlando Bloom again, sheesh he is everywhere), "Jurassic Park IV", and "King Kong". I also heard that Fantastic Four might come out. Indy IV was supposed to come out in 2005, but now it doesn't look like it, because Lucas, Academy-Award winning screenwriter of The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones, doesn't approve of the script. 8-}

I liked the effects of TPM more than AOTC. It was cleaner and integrated better, whereas AOTC felt like it was bursting at the seams with the amount of effects it had but still did not really impress me.
  12. BlueTrooper Jedi Knight

star 3
    TPM balanced (sort of) the real and the CGI sets together. That's why a lot of Naboo, Tattoine and Coruscant looked real even with CGI elements. Kamino and Geonosis look like they came from Super Mario Bros. 3.

13. Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep

star 6
  14. AdamBertocci Manager

Manager
    star 7
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.