main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Basher Sanctuary Episode I: The Phantom Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Darth-Stryphe, Jan 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CeeJay

CeeJay Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    Ahhh lady Sami - I knew you'd love ROTK! :D

I'm going again tonight for my fourth time!

2. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    " The Phantom Menace - 0 Oscars, 3 Nominations
    Attack of the Clones - 0 Oscars, 1 Nomination

Star Wars: A New Hope - 7 Oscars, 10 Nominations
    The Empire Strikes Back - 2 Oscars, 4 Nominations
    Return of the Jedi - 1 Oscar, 3 Nominations "

OUCH! :eek:

3. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    CeeJay,

For the fourth time? I hate you! WAH!!!

Yeah, I loved it. Read a Boston Globe reviewer's comments on it and how PJ had mishandled it, like a favorite toy you loaned your friend, who didn't really break it, just chipped the paint or bent the wheels, so it wasn't quite the same, but really, the 'flaws' this guy saw were so minor, it was just ridiculous.

My only real two gripes are we didn't get to see Faramir and Eowyen fall in love or see Arwen and Aragorn get married.

The sight of the White City was absolutely breathtaking, exactly the way I had pictured it, but more so, perfectly carved out of living rock.

I wish we had had moments like that in TPM, of sheer wonder and amazament. Sigh.

4. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    I'll throw in my opinion for good measure as well, but I ain't grading the films with letters oh no. I'll grade them from 1-6, which is the Norwegian way. With 6 being the best (probably because 6 in Norwegian is pronounced sex). Anyway.

STAR WARS: 6
    EMPIRE: 6-
    JEDI: 3+
    MENACE: 2+
    CLONES: 2-

FELLOWSHIP: 6
    TWO TOWERS: 4+
    KING: 5+

RAIDERS: 5+
    TEMPLE: 5
    LAST CRUSADE: 4

THE MATRIX: 3
    RELOADED: 1
    REVOLUTIONS: Didn't bother to see it

And some assorted high scoring films (high scoring in my book, that is).

DONNIE DARKO: 6
    DOGMA: 5+

5. Ree Yees

Apr 6, 2000
    CeeJay, what were your favorite scenes in "ROTK"?
    I loved the scene where Pippin begins to sing for Denethor, and we get shots of Faramir moving into Osgiliath. Great stuff.

6. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Donnie Darko ROCKED!

7. Ree Yees

Apr 6, 2000
    Donnie Darko ROCKED!

Indeed! I've seen it four times since I bought the DVD, and everytime it leaves me baffled. It's a great film to ponder.

8. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    My favorite scene was when Legolas took down the Oliphant! That scene ruled!

Haven't seen Donnie Darko, tho, but my son has the DVD. Must make time soon to watch it.

I'd grade the Indy movies thusly:

Raiders-A++ Female companion one gutsy lady
    Crusade-B+ Female companion kinda dumb
    TOD-B- Female companion really dumb, could scream good, tho.

9. CeeJay

Aug 11, 2000
    Man, SW will never get another OSCAR ever again, it's just not considered fresh or even worthy of reccognition anymore. This is why Peter Jackson simply has to get something for the work done on the LOTR films, I don't think he'll get the best Director, i'll be happy if he does but I don't think he will. What I think they'll do instead is give him either the Irvin G Thalberg Award which is an award to your contribution to movies. Luca$ was awarded it ages ago because he helped revolutionise Sound and Special Effects etc. I think PJ deserves it for teh the undertaking of such a collosal task coming from such a small, independent movie background and achieving so much for his efforts.

Having said that, i expect LOTR to come away with quite a few awards this year but the one I really want it to get apart from best SFX is music, the score to ROTK is the stuff dreams are made off.

10. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    I'm really looking forward to ROTK EE.

It will be great to see some of the scenes that were cut from the theatrical release.

(1) 7-minute Saruman and Grima sequence
    (2) Mouth of Sauron
    (3) Gandalf vs. the Witch King
    (4) House of Healing
    (5) Paths of the Dead

Other Franchise Grades:

Back to the Future Part 1: A-
    Back to the Future Part 2: A
    Back to the Future Part 3: B+

Jurrassic Park: A
    The Lost World: C-
    Jurrassic Park 3: D

The Matrix: A
    Matrix Reloaded: B
    Matrix Revolutions: D

Raiders of the Lost Ark: A-
    Indy and the Temple of Doom: C
    Indy and the Last Crusade: A

The Terminator: B
    Terminator 2: A
    Terminator 3: C

11. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    CeeJay,

I love the Rohan theme. Every time I hear it, I get shivers up my spine. It's so hauntingly beautiful with an undercurrent of sorrow borne by great strength.

I can't wait for the DVD to come out so I can watch the movie until my eyes fall out! The weekend before I saw ROTK, I watched the other two over and over and over...

12. Punisher

Punisher Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 1998
    In terms of continuity and entertainment value, this thread stinks...
    I liked it more in the beginning, but after some time I can't believe some of this stuff...

Binary built MeBeJedi as a basher droid to help Sami J. Kenobi! :mad:

JohnWilliams 00, Darth Maul 13 & Ceejay's posting is "wooden". 8-}

Bashers have microscopic organisms that connect them to the critical side of the force! [face_shocked]

The GuitarJedi puppet looked like crap! :(

TokyoExtreme's use of "Yippee!" is annoying. :mad:

The cameos by Lurking_Around & Ree Yees in the podrace arena was unnecessary. :(

Too many posts and out of place comedy by Adam Bertocci. 8-}

Quixotic-Sith didn't get to do much until the final duel, it was all about Darth Stryphe before then anyway! :_|

And finally...
    Not enough posts by Punisher! :D

My apologies to all, I saw Episode 1 in the title and the previous rant just came gushing right out of me. [face_mischief]

13. CeeJay

Aug 11, 2000
    Ree Yees - I have to many favourite scenes in ROTK, that's why I never get bored watching it. Like Lady Sami says, the Legolas taking down the Mumakil scene is one of them, I couldn't contain myself on the first viewing, I was yelling, pointing and screaming like a nut! I still stand by Gandalfs entrance to Minas Tirith as the most beutiful establishing shot I have EVER seen, the music was spot on, the city was glorious, my cheeks hurt watching that because I smile like i'm in heaven. Boy I wish Luca$ had done something similar for the first arrival on Courascant, it really needed it in TPM.

But there are more, I simply love the Rohirrim, I think they are the best guys on the planet. Theorderns speech and the way he mustered up his men before their initial first charge really got me going, I've never seen anything like that in my life! But the second charge against all hope towards the Mumakil was utterly mind-blowing. They are the bravest men of all time. But once again the music just manages to hit the spot everytime with that film, the tune they play when Gandalf sets off for Minas Tirith seperating Pippin from Merry for the first time in the series, is so wonderful a tune it could have played as a loop througout the rest of the movie and i'd be fine with it. The piece played throughout the lighting of the beacons is perfection and the "End of Everything" piece palyed in the myriad of scenes as soon as Frodo keeps the Ring at the crack of Doom is the reason the word "GLORIOUS" was written.

Best films ever!

14. DarthMaul13

Nov 26, 1998
    The Rohan theme is awesome! That charge with Theodeon in ROTK was one of the best scenes of the trilogy!

Right now I'm guessing that ROTK will get 7 nominations. It will most likely get the VFX and Sound Oscars. And it will have a good chance to get Best Director and Picture wins mainly because the academy has this habit of awarding filmmakers for a course load of work over the years. So the LOTR trilogy would actually be winning Best Picture and not because of ROTK.

15. DarthMaul13

Nov 26, 1998
    JohnWilliams 00, Darth Maul 13 & Ceejay's posting is "wooden"

That is so Wizard!

16. CeeJay

Aug 11, 2000
    Mannnnnn, everybody has to love the Rohan theme, it's like the Imperial March of the LOTR films, it has just the greatest fiddle piece ever. They play various versions on the theme in ROTK but I think my favourite is when the set off from camp and the camera pulls away to reveal a mass of Horsemen so mighty it just eclipses all your imagination.

Lady Sami - I attended cinema showings of the Extended FOTR and Extended TT in advance of watching ROTK, it was the best show i ever expereiened in a cinema all my life. My buddies who came with me all left the cinema utterly drained yet so fullof glee, it was magical.

Next x-mas is gonna be such a non event without LOTR. :(

17. Ree Yees

Apr 6, 2000
    I still stand by Gandalfs entrance to Minas Tirith as the most beutiful establishing shot I have EVER seen, the music was spot on, the city was glorious, my cheeks hurt watching that because I smile like i'm in heaven.

I agree, it's a mighty good establishing shot. The LOTR trilogy has a lot of those, and I like most of them. I loved the first look at Barad-dûr, with first one tower and then a much larger structure above it. Awesome :D
    Like I said in another thread, Middle-earth is a character unto itself in this trilogy, thus these aerial shots, establishing shots and lingering shots are needed.

I loved Théoden's speech at Pelennor as well, but I don't remember it...can you enlighten me?

18. CeeJay

Aug 11, 2000
    Since everyones gon Trilogy mad..

Back 2 the Future:

BTTF 1: B
    BTTF 2: B+
    BTTF 3: B

Indiana Jones:

ROTLA: A
    IJTOD: A+
    IJLC: A-

Terminator:

T1: C+
    T2: B+
    T3: F

The Godfather:

TGF1: A
    TGF2: A+
    TGF3: C

19. CeeJay

Aug 11, 2000
    Ree Yees - My Plaeasure!

Theodern's Speech:

"Arise, arise riders of Theodern!
    Spears shall be shaken,
    Shields shall be splintered.

A sad day, a red day, and the sun rises!

Ride now!

Ride now!

Ride, ride for ruin and a world ending!

Death! Death! DEATH!

Forward Eorlingans!"

Que the Riders of Rohan theme with that rich fiddle! :D

20. Ree Yees

Apr 6, 2000
    Now imagine Jar Jar saying that before the battle of Naboo, and Théoden saying "Steady...steady" :p

21. CeeJay

Aug 11, 2000
    Ughhhhh! :(

22. CeeJay

Aug 11, 2000
    The Riders of Rohan would have made mincemeat out of those Battle droids on the Naboo fields even without energy balls! :cool:

23. Darth_Insidious

Darth_Insidious Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    I need to see the ROTK EE before I rank it alongside the others. Right now I'd put it behind FOTR and in front of TTT, but I think the EE is going to be good enough to push it into the first place spot.

In terms memorable scenes and lines I think it's got more than the other two.

Arise, arise riders of Theoden!
    Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered!
    A sword-day, a red day!
    Ere the sun rises!

Home is behind, the world ahead
    And there are many paths to tread
    Through shadow, 'till the edge of night
    Until the stars are all alight
    Mist and shadow, cloud and shame
    All shall fade, all shall...fade

Faramir: You wish now that our places had been exchanged. That I had died, and Boromir had lived.
    Denethor: Yes, I wish that.
    Faramir: Since you were robbed of Boromir, I will do what I can in his stead. If I should return, think better of me father.
    Denethor: That will depend on the manner of your return.

Denethor: Rohan has abandoned us. Theoden's betrayed me. Abandon your posts! Flee, flee for your lives!

Sam: Can't you see? He's poisoned you against me!
    Frodo: You can't help me any more.
    Sam: You don't mean that.
    Frodo: Go home.

Sauron: El..ess..ar.
    Aragorn: For Frodo.

Sam: Come on Mr. Frodo! I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!

And probably my favorite line of the whole trilogy, delivered so perfectly by Ian McKellen:

Farewell, my brave hobbits. My work is now finished. Here at last, on the shores of the sea, comes the end of our fellowship. I will not say do not weep, for not all tears are an evil.

I'd continue, but I think my point's been made. :)

24. CeeJay

Aug 11, 2000
    Ahhh, it's all so good.

Another one for the record is the Quiet moment the hobbbits all share at the table when back in the Green Dragon bar in the Shire. Nothing needs be said, everything is in their expressions as they look at each other and the music played at that scene is the one that pulls on the heartsings the most.

This trilogy has had so many memorable moments and music, its rich with classic moments I just want to see again and again for the rest of my days. I simply forget the PT existed every time I enter Middle-Earth, it's the perfect way to exorcise that paticular sour demon.

25. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    SWANH:A+
    ESB:A+
    ROTJ:A+
    TPM:C+
    AOTC:F

FOTR:B
    TTT:B-
    ROTK:A

Back to the Future:A