main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Basher Sanctuary Episode I: The Phantom Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Darth-Stryphe, Jan 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    CeeJay - ROTK is not going to get even a nomination for best score, because it's ineligible.

New rule in Oscarland, works that draw heavily on themes established in a previous film = ineligible.

While this rule was not officially in effect last year, I think the general feeling surrounding its creation explains why T2T and AOTC weren't nominated.

Rick McCallum loves you!

2. ShaakRider

ShaakRider Jedi Master star 2

Nov 14, 2002
    A pleasure to participate in this new Episode, but...shouldn't the SE's come first?
    Anyway

ANH - A+: brilliant
    ESB - A: my personal favourite and in many ways superior to ANH, but yet not as brilliant
    ROTJ - B-: i don't think it's a really better movie than TPM, but it's better Star Wars
    TPM - C-: cute story, some amazing visuals, great music, but too little fun (no, i don't consider Jar Jar's activity as fun, though i basically like tha character), the whole podracing-betting part is just bizarre, the chosen one/virgin birth/midichlorian stuff is horrible (especially in Star Wars), the Jedi concuil looks like they were the bad guys, etc.
    (Phantom Remix - C++ : many of yhe annoyances gone)
    AOTC - D+: more fun than TPM, but greatly unlikable characters (actually Anakin is the most likeable, provided that i can ignore it's supposed to be SW and he's supposed to become Darth Vader), rushed plot, the whole thing makes very little sense to me (ironically i ended up thinking that the Naboo love scenes make more sense than anything alse in the movie, at least after the "first kiss" scene, that one seemed really out of place)

Notice the tendency? [face_shocked]
    tell me that Ep3 wont be an E [face_shocked]

3. Darth_Sillyname

Darth_Sillyname Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    Hey, what's this?! A new sanctuary! :) :) :)
    Is this the third one?

4. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Darth_Insidious, thanks for posting all those quotes :D

The cameos by Lurking_Around & Ree Yees in the podrace arena was unnecessary

I'm Jabba of this thread?

:(

[face_laugh]

My ranking for LOTR:

A+ for all the movies, theatrical or EE. Alas, I'm not objective about it :p I love them all, and certainly looking forward to the ROTK EE.

The OT:

ANH - B+

ESB - A

ROTJ - B+

I can't decide whether ANH or ROTJ is better, they're both pretty much the same for me. ESB towers over the two, and is still in my top five movies of all time.

The 'Back to the Future' movies...for me they get better for each movie. I love part 3 the most. The western setting, Doc gets a girl, the ending...we lovesss it! :D

For me, LOTR, the OT and BTF trilogies are the only ones where I can enjoy all three movies. For other trilogies, there's always one movie that makes the trilogy less than perfect.

5. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    Here are my ratings for the different franchises, with appropriate comments on each.

STAR WARS

ANH A+
    Great casting, tight script, tremendous story, action, and editing. Ralph McQuarrie, Joe Johnston, and all the rest created unforgettable designs to inspire a generation of filmmakers.

ESB A++
    This film has everything ANH has, plus so much more. Fantastic production design, memorable moments -- the asteroid field is also my favorite sequence, ESPECIALLY the music!! I think ESB improves upon ANH in every aspect, without using ANH as a crutch as do the later entries in the saga!!!!! One note: ESB (wampa, Han's torture) was too intense for me as a child, but that made me love it even more.

ROTJ C
    All the same elements are in place, but weaker. Ewoks, self-reference, weak acting, and worst of all, SW's awareness of itself emerges and eventually grows worse (like a cancer), poisoning the rest of the series. Oh, what could have been!

TPM D
    Not entirely unwatchable, but why watch it again when there are so many other movies to see for the first time? The movie is so boring, and the missteps are many. Designs aren't all bad though (MOST of them are), and Liam Neeson does a great job (even if his character should never have been created).

AOTC F
    The worst of the lot, although technically not as overblown and boring as TPM. Self-awareness / homage / reference levels are at an all-time high, and even surpass The Simpsons. This is the most expensive fan film ever made, even if it was made by a man with no plan who isn't a fan. Unwatchable film, and technically not even a film... this is below even Spike Lee's "Bamboozled". Ha ha, just kidding, even AOTC isn't THAT bad.

ALIEN QUADRILOGY

ALIEN A
    Really amazing design, effects, suspense, casting, script, etc. etc. Way too scary for a younger me, just about right 20 or so years later.

ALIENS A+
    This is probably the single best action movie ever made. The extended version was even better than the theatrical. Best Cameron movie of all!

ALIEN 3 D
    Terrible beginning, and tumbled wildly downhill from there. So so BORING. This was the first time I ever experienced "TRIL JY VU", the sensation of witnessing a thoroughly dreadful and disappointing third entry of a franchise. Still not as bad as...

ALIEN RESURRECTION F
    I actually like the director and love much of the cast, but... well, OK on second thought maybe this movie only deserves a C-, but could even score as high as a B if there were never any Alien films before it to compare it to. You know, there is a scene in this film that actually made me laugh out loud and clap in the theater. And of course that is when Dan Hedaya rolls that grenade into the pod, and then gives the most contorted facial mug and salute!!! That was priceless, and I can remember it vividly to this day. He was fantastic in Clueless BTW.

INDY JONES

ROTLA A+
    Great scenery and action and acting and thrills. I'll never forget the female student who flirted with Dr. Jones in the beginning.

TOD B
    I don't remember this movie so well, aside from Short Round and the chick being served monkey brains! I also remember the woman having to put her hand in some filthy insect-ridden hole. Ha ha ha!

TLC C
    Funny acronym huh! I only saw this flick once, but I recall a very hokey ending. River Phoenix RIP. Can't wait until Indy redeems himself with Roswell and UFOs. He's immortal now right?

THE MATRIX

The Matrix A+
    I'll never understand why so many people hate this movie. I thought I would hate it, but I ended up loving it. The editing is amazing, and I don't think a single frame is out of place. I love when Agent Smith sees the helicopter, and the camera zooms in on his face as he says, "NO." Reeves does a great job too, and I love how he seems amazed at the moves his own body is capable of performing. Great fights!!

Matrix: Re

6. CeeJay

CeeJay Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    AdamBetocci - I'm not entirely sure that's the case with the Original Score category. I remeber them saying something about a percentage of the score needing to be entirely original. I guess we'll have to wait until nomination night to find out exactly.

7. TokyoXtreme

Oct 24, 2001
    Have to make one more comment about Aliens... out of all the Cameron films, Bill Paxton does his best work in this one. When the sargeant explains the mission and then asks if there are any questions, Hudson answers "Yeah, how do I get out of this chicken **** outfit?" With Weird Science coming out the year before, that was a great time for Paxton!

8. Tomaschus

Tomaschus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2003
    Ok heres my rating for SW and LOTR...

ANH-A+
    ESB-A++
    ROTJ-B+
    PM-F
    AOTC-C

FOTR-A++
    T2T-A+
    ROTK-A++

9. CeeJay

Aug 11, 2000
    Bond Films?

First off, Timothy Dalton was the best Bond they ever got but the majority of the public that grew up on those hokey Roger Moore comedies couldn't relate to his much more true portrayal of the character. It's a shame he only did two films because they were amongst the best Bond films ever made that flopped at the box office.

My personal favourites:

1: The Living Daylights: A (Best music out of the Bond films, John Barry never made better music for the series before and this being his last was extra special.

2: Lisence to Kill: A- (Great story, Daltons is the Bond from the books, he's thinking on his feet and he is a killer with a cause. Let down only by the absence of John Barry's music)

3: On Her Majesty's Secret Service: A (better than a Bond film should be, this flick is in a world of its own and even has its own Bond, even John Barry's music is beyond it's normal routine and too good for a singer. be sure it's kind we'll never see again and rightful considered by most fans as the best bond film ever made)

4: You Only Live Twice: B+ (My childhood favourite although Connery is too old for the part, this one definately is the feast of his series. Unforgettable music, action and the blueprint for every spy flick or spoof to follow)

5: Goldfinger: B (The car stole the show and the Villian was unbelievably bold in his schemes. Still can't believe they got away with names like Pussy Galore and how can anyone forget that dead girl with a golden spray-job?)

10. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    Stryphe wrote: "Binary, your sig makes me laugh, but not in the good kind of way. Dune has already sold out. What short of standard to they think their setting by continuing Dune in the fashion they are? They think they're raising the bar? If they wanted to do that, they should have done Dune 7 then shelved the series. Dune had already set a standard. EU-ing it only cheapens it."

:confused:

I've read the first four Dune books and am reading Heretics of Dune right now (so no spoilers please for that book or for Chapterhouse Dune!). Overall, this series is the best science fiction I've ever read.

Frank Herbert died in 1986--eighteen years ago. Since that time there have been only five Dune prequel novels. And who is the co-author? Brian Herbert, Frank Herbert's first-born son. I haven't read any of these books, but how half-a-dozen prequels by the author's son can be compared to the literally hundreds of SW books is beyond me. Remember back in those pre-1983 days? There were only seven SW novels (not counting the movie novelizations). Nobody thought SW was being swamped. Now is a different story.

11. Alomanuma_Topha

Alomanuma_Topha Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 2, 2004
    I agree 99% with everything TokyoXtreme said about all the movies mentioned(except I thought TPM was much worse than AOTC). Great sig too!

I would also like to add that my biggest issue with ROTJ was bringing Han back... and then characterizing him as a loser bafoon.

12. TokyoXtreme

Oct 24, 2001
    METAL GEAR

METAL GEAR A
    The first entry of this classic series was among the best of games for the NES. Gadgets and gizmos abound, and Japanese-to-English translations were classic. "UH - OH, THE TRUCK HAVE STARTED TO MOVE!" and "I FEEL ASLEEP!" are two of the memorable quotes that would live forever. I also admit that I like punching the dogs, thus re-enacting a memorable scene from "True Lies."

METAL GEAR SOLID A+
    Engaging story and advanced play control make the Playstation entry of the series shine. The music for this game is spectacular (game start screen theme "Introduction" is my favorite), and the sound effects sparkle. the guard alert sound gives me a heart attack (similar to the effect of injuring the patient during a game of "Operation").

METAL GEAR SOLID 2 B+
    Hayden Christensen as Anakin Skywalker joins the game for the latter half, and runs around naked. Still, there are improved special effects and you can even grope a bikini girl poster (with unexpected results).

[image=http://www.game-revolution.com/previews/screens/mgs2/mgs2_12b.jpg]

"HUH!? HUH!? Just a box."

13. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Frank Herbert died in 1986--eighteen years ago. Since that time there have been only five Dune prequel novels. And who is the co-author? Brian Herbert, Frank Herbert's first-born son

And guess who's co-writing it with Brian Herbert? Again I must utter his name: KEVIN J ANDERSON. Alas, I became curious and tried reading the prequels. Well, the first three prequels (House Atreides, Harkonnen, Corrino). They suck, and that's putting it mildly. Thank God I only read them in the store rather than buy them [face_mischief] Anderson's other works suck too, including his SW EU stuff and one awful novel based on the computer game 'Starcraft' (he wrote that one with his wife, and the combination was even worse!).

Needless to say, I'm not touching anymore 'Dune' books by Brian Herbert until he gets a new writing partner :p

how half-a-dozen prequels by the author's son can be compared to the literally hundreds of SW books is beyond me

There'll be more coming soon. The Dune 7 Stryphe mentioned previously, a book about Paul Muuadib between 'Dune' and 'Dune Messiah', more circa-Butlerian Jihad books...I'm sure they're also considering 'Dune Babies' and 'Dune Junior High'...the possibilities are endless when you have Kevin J Anderson involved.

14. Tomaschus

Jun 15, 2003
    Yes! Tokyo the Metal Gear games kick all kinds of @$$. Metal Gear Solid is one of the greaytest games ever and has a very smart story.

Unfortunately its sequal was not as good. I played the demo for hours so Snake's mission was already ruined for me. why didn't kojima tell anyone about Rayed?!

Any way, I can not wait for Snake Eater. It will be great to play as Big Boss!

15. CeeJay

Aug 11, 2000
    Greatest Game ever for me was Goldeneye on the N64, it was the only reason to buy the machine apart from Zelda. Never had the best graphics or original gameplay, but it's multi player mode and weapon assortment was simply the best. I wished they just do Goldeneye all over again on the X-Box or something.

16. Tomaschus

Jun 15, 2003
    They could do that since RARE was bought by Micro( satan )soft. But i think right now they are working on a new Perfect Dark game.

I've always been a Playstation man myself.Or at least i became one after the N64. That system just got me dissapointed in Nintendo.

17. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    My SW rankings would be very similar to Tokyo's above. I also rank AOTC as the worst of the lot by far, and I have no idea where that would place EP3. Whereas with LOTR you have good faith in the upcoming films (for good reason), with these prequels it feels as if each new film is like a present from Uncle George, complete with a big Question Mark on the top. It could be okay or it could be a big stinker.

Still, there are improved special effects and you can even grope a bikini girl poster (with unexpected results).

I'm very interested in knowing more about these "results." There is a humorous video clip of MGS2 played to the tune of "Jungle Boogie".

18. Tomaschus

Jun 15, 2003
  19. Rhaegar

Rhaegar Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 29, 2001
    I can't really decide between the two prequels in term of which one I detest more. The problem is, to make this decision, I would probably have to watch them both again, and I really have little desire to do that.

20. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Hmm, Lady Sami also Bond fan, but I have a much different list of fav films and to me, Sean Connery will always be the #1 Bond, with Pierce Brosnan a close second.

Timothy Dalton just didn't seem mean enough to be Bond, even tho, as the Prince in "Flash Gordon," he referred to Ming's daughter as a 'lying witch' (with 'witch' replacing a do not use word here).

My favorite Bond movie is Thunderball, followed by You Only Live Twice. Of the newer ones, while I really liked Living Daylights, I much prefer Die Another Day and GoldenEye to any of the two with Timothy Dalton.

So, my list of Bond movies would be:

Thunderball
    You Only Live Twice
    Die Another Day
    Golden Eye
    Diamonds are Forever
    Living Daylights
    EDIT
    Also wanted to reply to Binary_Sunset on the Dune prequels. They are very gory and highly detailed in descriptions of torture, etc., which I don't think is really necessary. That was the biggest turnoff for me to this latest series.

Of course, since I've read a history of medieval torture and likewise for the tortures that were used during the Inquisition, I really don't need a lot of detailed descriptions of torture to get the effect.

Hey, where's my droid? :p

21. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003

Bond Movies

Altho I like Brosnan I don't find his Bond movies very rewatchable, Goldeneye is still his best.
    Old Roger certainly made some terrible Bonds, but my fave is still:

Live and Let Die. The action scenes are so inventive, Jane Seymour is yummy, and it has the best cast of villains. The villains in recent Bonds are so forgettable. But who can forget Mr. Big, Kananga, Whispers, Tee Hee, Baron Samedi, great guys.
    And one of the best lines ever:

Bond: "My name is..."

Mr. Big: "Name's is for tombstones, baby!"

My other 2 favorites are :

OHMSS
    Diamonds are forever.

OHMSS is the purest Bond to me, it's classier than the others. Had Lazenby been better...

And I just adore Diamonds, it's so funny, without being too dumb.

g

22. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    The Bond movies from the last five years or so remind me of the prequels. They suck. Although I do kind of like Goldeneye only because of how well the video game portrayed it. I liked to shoot Boris in the head with my PP7...mulitple times.

I haven't seen Die Another Day yet though. Lady Sami, you rank it up there as your favorites. I stayed away from it because of my displeasure with the latest Bond movies. Does Die Another Day pull a few surprises?

In in video game related stuff, the Star Wars game, Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR) was awarded with many accolades including Game of the Year for XBOX. They said the storyline and characters are much more engagign than the prequels themselves, and one quote stated that KOTOR was "the best thing to happen to Star Wars since....The Empire Strikes Back." [face_laugh] Now that's going waaaay back!

23. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    More than a few, JohnWilliams00. You will be pleasantly surprised, I'm sure. I was blown away.

It's at least worth the price of a rental. I really regret that I didn't have a chance to see it on the big screen. Blew my money on my vacation!

I forgot "Live and Let Die!" Augh! I love that one, too! Put it above "Diamonds." Neat villians and Jane Seymour's character was a strong gutsy lady, not your typical female!

One of the reasons I like OHMSS is Diana Rigg as Traci. It didn't make my list because it made me cry--hard to imagine a Bond flick making me cry. Also, didn't like Lazenby's Bond, too "male model" for my taste.

24. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    Ack, a new Sanctuary? For some reason I just got this feeling of deja vu. Can't quite figure out why though. ?[face_plain] :p

Moving right along I was just checking out the icons and stumbled across these silly EU ones.

[image=http://www1.theforce.net/jc/icons/expandeduniverse/3pxassassindroid.gif] [image=http://www1.theforce.net/jc/icons/expandeduniverse/C-3PO_x2.gif]

The characters name is wait for it......... C3-PX Lol! Oooohh he has an X on his head, how profound. Gotta love the EU. [face_laugh]

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

25. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    RBE,

That's funny! C3PX!

I meant to post this yesterday. I love watching old TV shows to see today's big stars in their earlier roles. I was watching "Gunsmoke" yesterday and just happened to catch the one with Harrison Ford as a cowboy bad guy. He was a gambler and I guess this is why Lucas chose him to play Han after the other actors under consideration dropped out or were unavailable.

One of the poker players was cheating and Harrison's character just whipped out a pistol and shot the guy across the table, ala Han shooting Greedo!

His character was also really "scruffy-lookin'"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.