main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bashers Sanctuary Questions

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Crispy_Fried_Dentic, Dec 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    The status of the sanctuary threads in TPM is up to the mods of that forum. It always has been. Stryphe and I are not going to move them anywhere. They stay in TPM as they have been all this time. They continue to work well and positively affect the TPM forum.

2. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    They continue to work well and positively affect the TPM forum.

[face_laugh]

Positively? The Bashers Sanctuary?

[face_laugh]

*shakes head*

They negatively affect the TPM forum, TPM is hardly visited by many people, in fact its mostly the same characters who go there. OH yeah thats a real positive affect those threads have! [face_plain]

But hey why break the status quo? ?[face_plain] [face_plain]

3. Sam_Skywalker

Sam_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    They negatively affect the TPM forum, TPM is hardly visited by many people, in fact its mostly the same characters who go there

Actually, AOTC doesn't get many people either. And they don't have a Bashers Sanctuary. Its that whole "been out of too long to get many people excitied about it" thing.

4. Crispy_Fried_Dentic

Crispy_Fried_Dentic Jedi Youngling star 2

May 27, 2003
    TPM is hardly visited by many people,

Its interesting you bring that up,Terrious. Now that I look at it, AotC forum is the second largest in both posts and threads. TPM is practically pitiful in comparison. I find that strange since TPM forum had to have been around for 3 years before AotC. It can't be possible to have one thread influence a whole forum so negatively that it would cut down on posting that much.

5. DarthTerrious

May 16, 2001
    Actually, AOTC doesn't get many people either.

That is to be expected. Everything that could be discussed has been discussed.

However the TPM forum has a more unique position. With AOTC out, I'd have thought most fans would reflect back on to TPM, and see new things and then there would presumably be more indepth discussion.

However all we ever have in the TPM forums right now is the same old negativity, and the Bashers Sanctuary hasn't really moved on.
    It just creates an aura of negativity which transfers into most of the threads.
    Which is why its not as populated as other forums.

6. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    That is to be expected. Everything that could be discussed has been discussed.

Then why does the CT forum still get quite a bit of activity (relatively)?

7. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    From the CT, "Saga" takes you to "Star Wars Community"

"In a utopian JC we wouldn't need them, but we also wouldn't need mods, OPPM, and expensive server space."

Hear, hear!

"Heck, it's almost a candidate for JCC, given its consistent LOTR focus."

You know it won't last long, and it's not too off-topic, when LOTR is used to compare against the SW saga.

"I dont agree that either the BS or the DF threads are apart of the culture there. They drag the forum down, especially the BS thread."

Oh, come on! You are blaming two threads for the downfall of the forum? That's a touch much, dont'cha think? ?[face_plain]

"I do agree that the Bashers/Gushers Sanctuaries only serve to bring about divisions among fans."

The divisions will exist regardless of the existance of these forums. Removing the threads will not change people's minds for or against the films. Rather than being condensed into two areas, it will spill out even more into other threads.

It is clearly the lesser of two evils.

"I keep saying it is entirely possible to like both LOTR and SW."

And it's equally possible not to. Let's not lose sight of possibilities other than those we consider personally acceptable.

"I guess after being here a while I'm just tired of the "Lucas can't write/Lucas can't direct/Wooden/bad acting" threads that seem to come up time and again in the AotC forum."

And getting rid of the BS will not solve this problem. If anything, it'll make it worse. Trying to stifle unpleasant opinions isn't going to do much good in the long run.

"That makes sense to me. Then people can bash/gush in a general place, accessible to all."

the BS doesn't require a password like 3NSA, and the BS gets new people all the time, as does the DF. This reasoning holds no water. Keep in mind that most n00bs tend to start out in the movies sections anyways, especially the PT threads, since they are more current.

"Positively? The Bashers Sanctuary? *shakes head*"

You miss the forest for the trees. Don't confuse the posts in the thread with the intent of the thread. TPM is alive and well despite the existence of the BS. You, of all people, should be careful complaining about the "negative comments" of other posters - i.e. ":::rolls eyes:::"

"OH yeah thats a real positive affect those threads have!"

You go right on ahead and convince yourself that this is the problem of the BS, rather than that of the very film the forum is named for. ;)

Removing the BS will not "save" TPM, because it is not the problem. Even if it were, surely you can contribute to the DF to bring "balance" to the forum. [face_laugh]

"Its that whole "been out of too long to get many people excitied about it" thing."

Agreed. Even the CT has been slowing down of lately (though not as much - hint, hint. [face_mischief] )

8. Crispy_Fried_Dentic

May 27, 2003
    But then, what would TPM forum be like without the BS? Random, rampant "I hate/this sucks/blahblah/whatever" posts everywhere? Constant arguing? This goes back to why it's there in the first place, what's the benefit? What has to happen, how far should things go before a BS is desired or required? It has to be better for the forum or it wouldn't be there; it has to cut down on some of the negativity, no?

I guess I'm just all for containment of extremes.

With AOTC out, I'd have thought most fans would reflect back on to TPM, and see new things and then there would presumably be more indepth discussion.
    I'd have thought this too, it certainly makes sense. Maybe it's because of the time difference between the films? 10 years and all those things that went on, we have no idea what really happened and it's hard to make links between the films.

Oy, MeBe posted right after I wrote up mine :p

And getting rid of the BS will not solve this problem.
    Whoa, I never said the BS should be gotten rid of. I'm all for a BS thread! Or are you addressing something somebody else said?

This reasoning holds no water.
    No, no. What I mean is, it might be useful to have a BS in SWC for general bashing, or PT bashing maybe, so that people can see it and use it in a general forum and not have only one specific thread in the TPM forum, where only TPM posts are the norm.

9. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "I guess I'm just all for containment of extremes."

Good luck Modding that. Again, removing the BS will not solve the problems everyone wishes to blame on it. If you were to go around the forums quashing gushers of the PT or Saga, you'd be seen as a basher yourself. Most people like to think of themselves of being "in the middle", regardless of where the on the spectrum they may actually be.

"are you addressing something somebody else said?"

I'm actually responding to several people. ;)

"it might be useful to have a BS in SWC for general bashing, or PT bashing maybe, so that people can see it and use it in a general forum and not have only one specific thread in the TPM forum, where only TPM posts are the norm."

A specific thread in one forum, to replace a specific thread in another forum? ?[face_plain]

Besides, considering the general "light-heartedness" of SWC, I doubt it would go over as well there either. In general, most people just want the BS go away. It will still cover the same material regardless of whichever forum it's in. That being said, the forum it belongs in is the forum that the Mods say it belongs in. If SWC doesn't want it, it's not going there, and no TPM Mod has been or is against having it in TPM. Since it is only one thread, it's rather easy to avoid.
    ..but those who prefer drama tend to go looking for drama to validate their opinions.

10. DarthTerrious

May 16, 2001
    Then why does the CT forum still get quite a bit of activity (relatively)?

AOTC is newer, it was obviously going to burn out quickly after the DVD came out. The CT forum still has many aspects which people like to discuss because of the fact they've had 20+ years to reflect. The same cannot be said for AOTC.

Oh, come on! You are blaming two threads for the downfall of the forum? That's a touch much, dont'cha think?

Well what exactly do they bring to the forum?

No real quality, both are just rehashing of the same concepts "TPM is great/crap" plus you could go through the numerous posts in the BS and find the same old stuff over and over.

You miss the forest for the trees.

Actually you do. I was joking (hence the laughing smilies), despite what I said later on in the same post.

You go right on ahead and convince yourself that this is the problem of the BS, rather than that of the very film the forum is named for.

Whatever that means.

Removing the BS will not "save" TPM, because it is not the problem. Even if it were, surely you can contribute to the DF to bring "balance" to the forum.

Who's talking about trying to "save" the forum?
    I'm talking about bringing in some diversity and intelligence into the TPM forum, something thats lacking because we have the same people, same opinions there. That just breeds ignorance and narrow mindedness.

11. Crispy_Fried_Dentic

May 27, 2003
    Good luck Modding that.
    Well, that's what they're doing now in the TPM BS. That's what I mean by "containment of extremes".

I'm actually responding to several people.
    Then please address those you're replying to...you had my text above your response and I'm very easily confused :p.

A specific thread in one forum, to replace a specific thread in another forum?
    What I mean is A general PT bashers thread in a forum like SWC + move all TPM bashing to there + all other PT bashing -OR- keep TPM BS and have an AotC BS in the AotC forum. That way, everybody's happy and can bash whichever they want and not be stuck with just one thread in TPM.

In general, most people just want the BS go away
    PPOR

AND, if this really is so, how come the BS is still there? Is this the users forums or the mods forums? Again I ask, is it easier or harder to moderate a forum that has a BS?

Since it is only one thread, it's rather easy to avoid
    Exactly, that's my point.

Edit: clarify

12. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "Oh, come on! You are blaming two threads for the downfall of the forum? That's a touch much, dont'cha think?"

"Well what exactly do they bring to the forum?"

Interesting. You didn't quite answer my question there. ;)

"No real quality"

That could be said for a lot of the threads in all the forums. I guess now you want to go around pruning "worthless" threads in general? Guess what, that's being done. Apparently, not everyone finds the BS as "worthless" as you do. Sorry.

The fact that you don't like the nature of the discussion in the threads doesn't mean they are "worthless" to everybody. SWC is full of "worthless" threads, most of which have nothing to do with SW. I guess we should drop the whole forum, then? ?[face_plain]

Let's be careful pushing one's personal criteria as the bottom line, shall we - especially with no real evidence to substantiate it.

"Removing the BS will not "save" TPM, because it is not the problem. Even if it were, surely you can contribute to the DF to bring "balance" to the forum.

"Who's talking about trying to "save" the forum?"

I was being farcical. I thought the joke was rather obvious.

"I'm talking about bringing in some diversity and intelligence into the TPM forum, something thats lacking because we have the same people, same opinions there. That just breeds ignorance and narrow mindedness."

And how does removing a thread or two contribute to this overall goal? ?[face_plain] I guess now you will want to tell the TPM "regulars" to stop posting there, to make room for new people?

You've not come up with one single reasonable or practical solution to the "problems" you originally brought up. All you've managaed to do is create a laundry list of other problems in your pursuit of getting rid of a personally distasteful thread.

[Obi-wan] "Good job" [Obi-wan]

"What I mean is A general PT bashers thread in a forum like SWC + move all TPM bashing to there + all other PT bashing -OR- keep TPM BS and have an AotC BS in the AotC forum. That way, everybody's happy and can bash whichever they want and not be stuck with just one thread in TPM."

The people who don't like bashers aren't going to be happy with a basher thread anywhere on these forums. Personally, I see the need for only one basher thread in the forum that gave rise to it. Besides, it's not like having the BS has removed all bashing from the film forums, and moving it elsewhere isn't going to change that at all.

"you had my text above your response and I'm very easily confused "

Sorry. I'm kinda responding to the gist of this thread, and using various posts as sounding boards. I apologize if you thought I was attacking you personally. [face_blush]

"In general, most people just want the BS go away"

"PPOR"

You think this is the first time that this discussion has come up? It's almost sport on these boards, moreso than canon wars. I don't have time to go searching for the various past threads that have touched on this topic in Comms, but I assure you they are here. Feel free to do a search.

"how come the BS is still there? Is this the users forums or the mods forums?"

Because it does serve a purpose, and the Mods do want it in TPM. These boards are not a "majority rules" arena, although they do listen to what the users talk about. The BS has been here for quite some time, and despite people's negative personal feelings about it, it does not negatively affect the forums or the boards to the extent that some wish to impress on others.

There's simply no need to get rid of it.

"Since it is only one thread, it's rather easy to avoid"

"Exactly, that's my point."

Agreed, yet some believe it is destroying the very fabric of AGFFA. Go figure...

13. Crispy_Fried_Dentic

May 27, 2003
    Besides, it's not like having the BS has removed all bashing from the film forums,
    Correct. Partially because there's only one and it's squirrelled away in the TPM forum-one of the least used forums here. People who bash in the TPM forum get directed there, where do the people who want to freely bash go to in AotC forum? Nowhere...or anywhere they choose? Certainly the latter, although I believe they should have somewhere specific to go, even though I don't much like the activity myself. They are certainly not directed to the TPM BS, at least, I've never seen it.

and moving it elsewhere isn't going to change that at all.
    I beg to differ, but I do see where you're coming from with the other forums not wanting a BS...I'm beginning to see the picture. It seems it's akin to having a nuclear power plant built in your neighborhood...it's a necessary thing (to some people, lets not bring environmentalism in here now) but nobody wants it there.

Feel free to do a search.
    What?? And use that atrocious search function? It'll probably come up with all the threads that contain the word 'banana' or something :p

14. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Eh? Define "forum culture".

The JC is made up of people, who come here and form a community, an on-line community, but a community nonetheless. Communities have cultures - think of it like flavor or style. For example, the Saga Forum and the YJCC are vastly different in style, yet both part of the greater JC. TPM Forum has its own culture that has developed over many years.

Ugghh, that's another thing I wish would go away, but I know there's no chance of that happening.

This will pass. It is new and loved by many SW fans, but LOTR is at its end and LOTR conversations across the board will die down soon. We've seen this sort of thing before, like with Matrix. I don't hear much about Matrix anymore, but it used to be all the rave.

They negatively affect the TPM forum, TPM is hardly visited by many people, in fact its mostly the same characters who go there.

TPM is old SW movie, so-to-speak (relatively speaking, the films 4+ years old, and not even the newest of SW films). As such, most people don't want to rush to this forum to talk about it, they want to rush to an E3 forum to talk about the next chapter or to an EU forum to talk about the newest book/comic. We get new people from time to time, but discussing the newest thing is always popular, and those forums are going to get more of the new recruits. Fact of life.

Anyway, the answer to this thread as been addressed. If anyone has questions about the Sanctuary, PM Strilo or I, but since this is turning into a big debate about locking or moving the thread, which is a tired dead horse that's been beaten before, I think it's safe to say we're done here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.