main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bashing Natalie Back : just bickering or do you also agree?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by darthgetalife, Mar 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthgetalife

darthgetalife Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 21, 2002
    In the Front page of TFN there's a link/news about the miscelaneous section informing that NataliePortman.com ? guess what : the Natalie Portman site ? has created a comic trip section.
    Well , after reading this article i clicked on the link ( here )to see what this trip was all about.
    Surprisingly to me the trip has a " comic" ( ??? ) reference to George Lucas inability to direct emotional scenes or to even clearly explain to the actors what he wants to be done on the shooting.
    Reading this " comic trip"it seems that Ms. Portmann just sucked big time in AOTC because she wasn't properly directed by GL .
    I found that material ofensive .
    Quiet frankly i never understood the hype about this lady, never got impressed by her acting( ??? ) skills and now that.
    Check the link and then tell me if i'm overreacting ? or if we should start petioning for some real actress ( like Kirsten Dunst or Anna Paquin ) to replace Ms. Portman in Ep3.

edit/ went a bit too off topic too soon.

2. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Natalie Portmen did a fine good. Better then fine. She was good. I don not woudl not want Kirsten Dunst or any one else.

That is all I will say about this.

3. Charis

Charis Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 29, 2002
    I don't see it as anything to get offended at. Honest truth, Lucas is not the best character director. Ewan McGregor and Liam Neeson mentioned this in various interviews for TPM, and Ewan brought it up again in interviews for AoTC.

Lucas' style is a technical marvel, but emotionally flat.

Padme was supposed to be cold and reasonably emotionless. That's how women behave when they are going through emotional conflict - they withdraw. She did a good job IMHO.

4. DarthWeenie

DarthWeenie Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2002
    That shouldnt offend you.

You insult Natalie Portman's acting. But you cant take an insult to George? Whats the difference? Youre insulting one person one way or the other. Natalie does a great job in other movies, surely youve seen. So why didnt she do a good job in clones? (If she didnt.) Is it her acting? Or GL's directing?

Who cares? Dont get offended.

Get a life...getalife.

5. Tropical_Plumber

Tropical_Plumber Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    I never bought the theory that the poor acting of Natalie Portman in AOTC is all GL's fault. Why is it so hard to believe that Nat just did a bad job? I've never been impressed with her acting, especially the stuff that she has done in the past few years. She was okay when she was younger (in stuff like The Proffesional), but I never really thought that it was anything special.

There are legitimate complaints that people can make about GL, but he isn't responsible for every bad thing that happens. As strange as it may seem, bad acting is usually the fault of bad actors.

6. Charis

Charis Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 29, 2002
    Ever seen a 1950's B movie? That's the acting style Lucas wants in SW. Carrie Fisher follows the same pattern in the OT so that style is uniform throughout for the leading ladies as well as the leading fellas.

I mean, Ewan did a terrible job in AoTC if you compare how he acted Obi Wan to some of his other roles using modern style, and you can't say that Ewan is a bad actor.

The 1950's B movie angle is part of the charm of SW IMHO along with the questionable dialogue ;)

7. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    I think everything would be settled nicely if George would just make two changes.

Cast Pam Anderson as Padme and Kid Rock as Anakin.

Plain and simple..smooth and silky..fast and easy..BOOM! Instant vanishing of Prequel and Natalie/Anakin bashing. ;)

Ken Kenobi- And you have a nice day ;)

8. Darth_Banal

Darth_Banal Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 22, 2002
    Cast Pam Anderson as Padme and Kid Rock as Anakin. :mad:

KenK, like my dear mother used tell me "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

9. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Just a thought... Natalie Portman .com is a fan site is it not? I don't think the girl has any input whatso ever as to what goes on there.. same with HC (many of who's fan sites are just plain creepy...)

10. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    :eek:

Whaaaaat? You're telling me you wouldn't like to see them in Episode III? :p

***POSSIBLE EPISODE III SPOILERS BELOW (in the event George actually does cast them :p )***

Obi-Wan: Since your turn to the Dark Side, I don't know you anymore. It's like Anakin doesn't even exist.

Anakin: I'm not Anakin anymore. That name has no meaning.

Obi-Wan: Then who are you now?

*the lights dim*

Anakin: My name is DARRRRRRRTH......DARTH VADER!

*Anakin starts shouting jibberish*

*Obi-Wan shrugs and pushes him into a lava pit below*

;) :p

11. Darth_Banal

Jul 22, 2002
    Yeah, and in the Extra-Special, Super Duper DVD version of ROTJ, Anakin pours out a 40 after lofting the Emperor into the shaft.

12. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    [face_laugh]

Niiiiice.. ;)

*drools at the thought of Pam Anderson in that Jabba Slave Outfit* [face_love]

;)

13. Darth_Banal

Jul 22, 2002
    *drools at the thought of Pam Anderson in that Jabba Slave Outfit*

well just search around the Internet, sooner or later you'll find the equivalent.

thread...disintegrating...rapidly..

14. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    A bit too rapidly, so we will let it sink instead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.