main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CVI Basic Celebration questions

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by echo-3, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    This thread can be for questions for newbies to Celebration.

Ill start but my question is related to Air fair
    This will be my 10 YO son's first Celebration and we are flying. I could not find on many of the Air line web site if
    his ticket will cost the same as a adult.
    Did anyone for CV fly with a child and did it cost the same as your adult ticket?

Eric

2. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Airline rates for children sorta depend upon the airline, best to try booking (or just booking a hypothetical trip since most sites aren't booking out to Aug '12 at the moment) on the site of the airline you are interested in and see what they would likely be charging. Bear in mind, the rates may be higher since C6 has been announced and the airlines will likely jack up the fares to accomodate the heavier loads of passengers coming into/leavng Orlando around those dates.

3. jedimomtosith

jedimomtosith Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 27, 2009
    To answer your question, yes his ticket will cost the same as yours.
    It's not based on age but the seat.
    Children 2yrs and younger can be "Lap Children" which means as long as they sit in your lap and not a seat they don't cost any thing more than your ticket.

That said, there has been some fares that are called "companion" fares which can have an age/mill/senior cost difference from the one ticket. Air lines don't really do these that much any more however, my mom got one because of the cruise they went on, the air line had that special for those cruising.

Anyway, this is why I have a 38ft RV that my family travels in...I can't afford $200+ per air ticket x 7 people...

Hope this helps??

4. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    Thanks.It does help.

5. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    And when it comes to booking the flight online, it is possible to see these fares, you may need to hunt around the airline's booking page to find the options to add children/additional passengers to the booking. Most airlines make this pretty easy to find on their main page.

6. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I highly recommend registering on a site like Airfare Watchdog now and signing up for alerts from your home airport to MCO. That'll help you get a sense of what the normal price range is for that itinerary (and, as we get into 2012, you'll start reading about relevant sales so you can save some money when you do book).

7. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Airlines track your IP when you are looking at fares on their websites, so don't check too often, because they will note your interest and, for example, you may check fares for a **** Airlines flight to Orlando for the 9th time, and your neighbor checks at the same time with the same airline for the first time, the fares they see may be lower than the ones on your computer screen.
    Or you could use another internet connection.

8. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

Ummmm, What? Of all the fruitbatty things I've heard about revenue management for my industry, THAT one takes the cake.

Airlines can go to about 340 days out (I'll have to check when I get back to work). I think Con-nited (teh megabeast that will be Continental and United) has some form of 'fare insurance' but MOST of the best fares are nonrefundable on the majors (look at Southwest going the same way now that they've eaten Air Tran) and search 'nearby airports/flexible times' - if you're willing to leave at the butt-crack of dawn, or out of a different airport you might manage some good savings.

PS - if you go to the official travel site, you'll see that AA and my home airline Delta are offering a small discount once we actually start selling flights...

*conspiracy voice* It's like they knew something big was going to happen...[face_worried]

9. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    Did anyone use the Onepeak to book a flight last time?

10. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    You won't have to - once "we" (all participating airlines) release seats for those dates (remember, you have to wait until your round trip is available) One Peak will release the code you need to enter to get the discount, and you MUST BOOK ONLINE AT THE AIRLINE'S WEBSITE TO USE IT. I'm thinking it'll be early October if I recall correctly.

11. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    OCT? really? I could not get a RT on Southwest till March last time.

12. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Yes, but that's WN - and they aren't one of the airlines that's cutting us all a break.

I'll know the exact date Monday evening, and will update when I get home from work.

13. Admiral_Ozzel

Admiral_Ozzel Jedi Master star 2

Jun 7, 2003
    For any newbies looking at this thread for help...this is a great source. The vets that give advice here have been through this before. I recognize most of these user names from celebrations past. As we say in Texas [face_cowboy] "This isnt their first rodeo!"

14. ANGRY_LEIA

ANGRY_LEIA Jedi Master star 1

May 15, 2002
    I didn't book thru OnePeak for CIV or CV...went through Priceline.

I have to be honest, I only used Priceline because of William Shatner...I admit it, I'm a Trekkie, too! :D

Avoid AirTran at all costs if you have a lot of costumes, etc. The price for carrying my lightsaber, etc. was very expensive...ugh. Next time will ship ahead UPS or something to hotel.

Martha

15. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    Here is a "Shipping your stuff home" Tip. Expect Fedex to jack up the price by at least 20% on all cost.
    I work for a medical device company and I am in charge of Fedex and UPS for our company so I know the price scale on most all weights.
    At CV ,Fedex charged a 10% more per pound and added a 10$ S/H fee on top of the regular shipping cost.
    I shipped a poster tube to Ohio for a friend and it was less then 1 lbs, Fedex rounds off the wight to 1lbs anyway and it cost me $24.00.
    Witch should have been no more then $13.00 for 3 day ground in any circumstance. SO ,if your hope to ship stuff home be prepared to spend some coin.

16. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    OR, what our cabbie recommended? Skip FexEx and go to the Post Office down the street. Priority flat rate boxes, yo.

17. Lord_Archivaria

Lord_Archivaria Jedi Knight

Jun 23, 2011
    In terms of air fare, I found that kayak.com is really helpful. Of course you will leave and return at odd times and probably have a lay over, but the price will be right. The one problem I've had with them is that sometimes the price is not the same by the time you actually get to the airline's website to buy the ticket.

18. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    We flew SouthWest out of Indianapolis for CV and enjoyed them, The only bad thing was with a non stop flight the earlyist depart time was after 11am. I'd like to get going by 7a or so. Another bad thing but its not a big deal I guess, is that they dont start taking reservations for August until February. I CANT WAIT THAT LONG !

19. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    As a Celebration tip, I like to create my own business cards for each Celebration and hand them out to new friends that I meet.

It's a lot quicker than trying to find a piece of paper & pen or punching info into your phone when you meet somebody.

20. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    We take bookings 355 odd days out (360) - note that this would be for the ROUND TRIP - so you can't book your outbound and then wait for the return - Counting down!

21. Grog_StarKiller2

Grog_StarKiller2 Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2007
    Hey I do that to, usually have my name, cell #, and space to add Hotel and room #.

22. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    Another thing I like to do is bring an assortment of colored Sharpie markers to the Autograph area.

I like to have Sith/Empire characters sign in red, Jedi/Rebels in blue/green, etc.

Adds a little flair to each signed pic.

23. Darth-Dogfish-Head

Darth-Dogfish-Head Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    Having them sign in red/green etc. is a really good idea! I may start doing the same thing. Thanks for the suggestion.

24. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    Teach who ever is with u to take GOOD pictures. I know when ever I ask someone to take a picture of me its ALWAYS has to be edited because no one ever uses the zoom on my CLR camera. Show them how to zoom in so u dont get so much background in the picture.

25. JohnnyRose

JohnnyRose Jedi Knight

Jun 2, 2011
    I take good pictures. I'm a videographer so I already know about shot composition. :-D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.