Basketball should have divisions (like Boxing), but based on height

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by jp-30, Dec 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Never in the history of sport has a playing field been so dominated by freaks and statistical outliers. While short people can still make a reasonable go of professional careers in football, baseball, non-jumping athletics, in basketball if you're of 'average' height or below there is absolutely no realistic way you can make a pro career out of the game.

To fix this I propose different height divisions, with the basket height set a certain height above the cutoff height for that division.

Like boxing's super heavyweight division, the open division full of giants would be the most coveted / watched, but at least there could be leagues for 5'9"ers.

There you go. I have spoken. [face_mischief]

(Next on my list of height discrimination in sport - horse jockeys)
  2. RealMadrid Jedi Knight

star 3
  3. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    Earl Boykins?

Nate Robinson?

ok I'm out... :p

well at least out of current players.
  4. Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Heh, that is pretty creative. But there are niches for guys around 6' (if you get shorter than that, then you could apply that to almost any other sport - have you seen how tall American football players are?).
  5. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Earl Boykins?

Nate Robinson?

Mugsy Bogues?
  6. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    I was going for current players... but hell... as long as we're going old school.

Spud Webb?
  7. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    I think the original point is valid to a point though - it is much harder to make it in the NBA at 5'9" (or shorter) than it is if you're 7'6".

Even so, I wouldn't want to see divisions like that. The game is based on certain strategies that would be lost in such divisions.
  8. Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It's hard to play any professional sport at 5'-9".
  9. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    It's hard to play any professional sport at 5'-9".

Well, most. For some sports it doesnt really matter, but for most you're right.

But even so, I would say its exponentially harder for such a person in the NBA as opposed to other sports.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.