main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Reynar_Tedros, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    In my experience, the variation and moves give you quite a bit.

I know I don't use the Batclaw if there's a room full of people; I usually save it for toward the end.

Generally I like to dash around doing strikes with a throw and takedown for good measure to gain some time. I use evade a lot usually to open up my options and such. Ground Pounds are hugely helpful, but can be dangerous if there's a lot of guys; try to do them on downed enemies that are a ways away; Batman will do this nice Palpatine-like spiral move in mid-air to reach enemies that are far off. This usually gives you time to gather yourself and counter anything incoming.

Once I see I have 3 or 4 enemies left, I use the evade and pop over them, situate myself nicely and use the Batclaw to reel a few in; it's about x25 for each enemy you hit who's effected by the Batclaw. Usually if someone gets up, I pop a Batarang at him and finish him off with a Ground Pound.

Useful information: the quick Batarang is useless unless you have a decent combo (x4 or more) going; if you throw it without said combo, it won't knock them down, only knock them off balance.

2. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Holy frick this game looks amazing and is fun!

3. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    It is. One of the best SP action games I've played in a long time.

4. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Definitely a candidate for Game of the Year.

5. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    I want Harley

6. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Join the club. :p

7. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    Yeah they really sexed her up, whats the rating on this game anyways? Must have been pushing M

8. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    The green question marks and foot prints and foreign poetry painted on the Riddler's cell in the Asylum was originally blood red in pre-release screenshots, so Rocksteady must have had to scale back on some things to keep from getting an M rating.

9. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    I recall the screenshots. It makes me wonder how the game would have turned out had Rocksteady gone for an M, or just not cared what they got.

10. Sabre_11

Sabre_11 Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2005
    The game copped an M in Australia, but then, our OFLC sees fit to ban L4D2, and originally Fallout 3 for having Morphine called Morphine, instead of a made up name :rolleyes:

Also, I read back a few pages ago someone talking about the hands coming out of the water at the very end of the game. Do you think this varies depending on what difficulty you played the game on? I played Normal and my ending had Scarecrow

11. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    It is apparently. I played on easy and it was Killer Croc's hand that grabbed the box of Titan.

12. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I played normal and it was ... Bane.

I found I don't care at all to do the combat challenges. I hate fighting. It's not a bad system, I just don't wanna fight, no matter how satisfying it is to walk away nonchalantly from a pile of uncosncious inmates :p

Love the sneaky ones though. I'm not particularly fast, especially when the medals require the bastards to be in very specific places. Especially explosive walls. Extreme Silent Knight is just cruel. And the extreme Sewer one sounds easier than the regular one o_O

13. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    It's completely random. I've seen 4 and 5 page threads of people with the same percentage complete on the same difficulty getting different endings.

It's completely random, to my knowledge.

14. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Well, my two cents. I got this game last week, played it through on Normal, grabbed all Riddler challenges and played through all non-campaign challenges I've cared to play. Best Batman game ever? Indubitably. GOTY? Not so fast, kids. It's too early to say at this point. The game is hardly perfect anyways. It's fun, yeah, but once I beat the story, I honestly couldn't care to beat it on Hard (especially considering how excruciating certain moments were playing on Normal). That leaves the challenges, and quite frankly they just don't do it for me in order to keep the game forever.

Well, ODST comes out tomorrow. Guess Arkham will help ease the pain at the cash register...

15. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    I doubt ODST will be game of the year. I doubt Batman will be game of the year.

So far, we still have a lot of games coming out...Borderlands chief among them (in my book).

If I had to guess on Game of the Year thus far? I'd hand it to Uncharted 2. But my hands down pick for GOTY is MW2. As in "don't be dense, this is pretty obvious," the game looks utterly mind blowing.

16. Gonk

Gonk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 1998
    It's completely random. I've seen 4 and 5 page threads of people with the same percentage complete on the same difficulty getting different endings.

Funny, because I've played on normal, then hard and the responses above match my playthroughs. I've never seen Croc's hand, and the first play through on normal I saw Bane's hand. Then on my hard playthrough, I saw Scarecrow's hand.

17. Black-Tiger

Black-Tiger Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2008
    Can anyone tell me how to solve the large question marks that are painted on walls and floors? Whenever I scan them I'm told the puzzle is only partially solved.:confused:

18. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    You have to align the bottom and top parts of the question mark perfectly on your screen. Having them off center doesn't cut it, unfortunately.

19. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
  20. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Well, that's pretty stupid. Makes no sense. Time to break out the ol' European LIVE account.

That is funny. I've never seen any reports that match, anywhere. Not on here, not on IGN, not on the Eidos forums. All the threads I've seen about them all seem to differ and lend weight that it's random. My friend beat it on Normal and got Croc's hand, I beat it on Normal and got Bane's. My same friend recently beat it on Hard and got Bane's hand, I beat it on Hard and got Scarecrow. Unless people are lying for the sake of discussion, but that would be pretty stupid.

21. JFuchs77

JFuchs77 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    In Batman Arkham Asylum, when I encountered the Scarecrow, I thought he looked kind of like Freddy Krueger. Wouldn't you all agree? Other than that, I think this was one of the best Batman video games ever.

22. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    I beat it on normal and saw Scarecrow's hand.

23. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Which lends weight to the fact that it's random.

Also, to all who are bummed the new maps aren't for 360 US accounts...don't be. I used my EU account to grab the new maps and they're very underwhelming.

24. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    This is on special on Steam at the moment, only 25 bucks!

I bought it as a gift for my brother who's been waiting for a price drop since August. Doing my part to spread the awesomeness of this game.

25. Jaques_Shalock

Jaques_Shalock Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2010
    Yeah, I have this game. I bought it when it came out. Beat it once on medium or one step up. it was fun. I haven't played it in a while because my XBox is all ####### up, not reading discs, so I basically have to hope a game reads well enough to install, so I can play it, but I'll get a new system some time soon, and being that I've only played it once, it'll be fun to go through again.

Good game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.