main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Batman: Arkham City (Arkham Asylum 2)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Reynar_Tedros, Dec 12, 2009.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That was probably the hardest boss fight in the game- it's great that you can't use the same attack twice, but they don't give you a good indication that that is the case (for example, the electromagnets remain "active" scans in Detective Mode, which indicates that the player needs to reactivate them- any the only hint that you can't is if you don't have Detective Mode on, which you're not going to have off in that scenario), so it's frustrating until you start reading through the extensive options on the scanner that you can use against him.

I will say that that was the point where at least the interior level design problems had a proper context- that one in particular was designed for that late game Mr Freeze battle and not the earlier encounters in there (where you can be left thinking that there were other stealth options to accomplish your goals that you never used because they would pointless to exercise at that point in time).

But, yeah, when the red eyes go on and the voice really kicks in, TAS-style, that was awesome.

2. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I tried to use Detective Mode as little as possible because you miss how beautiful the game is.

Generally, I went Tomb Raider style, only using it while standing still to look around. After using it frequently in Asylum, I was actually surprised at how little I really needed to use it. Spotting vents and electromagnets with the naked eye was quite easy.

I'd use it in combat occasionally while stationary too. Made it a little more challenging but I had no problem with that.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    But you kinda needed it to know where he is to both know what kind of attacks you might be able to pull off and, at least sometimes, to time those attacks.

4. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    You can almost always see him by sight alone. Even if you're in the smaller room and he's outside, you can see his scanners through the window.

The only time I really felt the need to use detective mode in combat was to get a sense of where everyone was in a Stealth Predator room before I attacked anyone. Since my first attack was usually to string someone up from a gargoyle/vantage point, most of the enemies would go check it out and I'd know where they are.

5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I used it in combat all the time, much easier to see enemies as skeletons (and highlighted red when they have guns) than in the flesh given how dark the game often is.

I agree Freeze was the hardest boss fight, he was a good character in the game. His tapes with Strange were interesting too.
    The villains were all done well, I liked Penguin and Riddler was much less silly than he is often shown as being. He was actually quite Jigsaw-esque, as shown in his trailer for the game:

07jonesj likes this.
  6. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Glad I wasn't the only one to get a Saw vibe from Riddler in this game. Thought that was especially represented in his hideout with all the different cameras and room ideas strewn about.

Bearing in mind I played the game on normal, I only died on two bosses. Neither were Freeze, given that his gun actually did very little damage.

The first was Joker... or should I say his army of goons. I could easily handle the Titan guy, but they threw Hammer (or was it Sickle?) in there too, and I completely screwed up on my first attempt.

The second was Two-Face, who I did not expect to have a rocket launcher. Took him down to within a hit of defeat and he shot me right in the face.

7. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    If they're doing a next-gen sequel, I demand a massive Gotham City with driveable Batmobile(s) and Batwing.

8. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Isn't that what Origins is doing? Well, besides the vehicles.

9. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I hope so, but I want all of Gotham - and it's big! Have you seen DC's map of it?