main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Batman: Arkham Knight - next-gen Batman by Rocksteady

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Reynar_Tedros, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    LOL, I got that tower with no problem whatsoever, there was no bug when i did it,

Is that bug for the PC?

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    It's a bug, not sure if exclusively PC.

Goddam this game looks good on PC.

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Well it could be the PC version, cause i didn't run into that bug, i must have got lucky

4. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Yeah, there are a few bugs - my game froze up on me a few times, but it's sort of balanced out now, I think.

5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I've run all three games on highest setting before, never noticed the surface scratching on the cowl etc. New addition for Origins?

I've not read a single review I disagree with so far.

I gather the graphics suffer on consoles, but I wonder - do people find the combat isn't as quick as it used to be? Ground takedowns not working, etc?

6. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I find I'm not as good as I was at the combat, but I'm chalking that up to just being rusty.

7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

Ground takedowns are working fine for me and the graphics are fine on console version

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Seems then like we got a console port, and all they've done is make it worlds prettier but not 100% workable.

Seems... backwards to me?

Chewgumma likes this.
  9. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I keep hitting odd little bugs. Word from WB Games is they're working on a patch.

Cue Batman fansites demanding free DLC.

10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Copperhead is creepy as hell!!

11. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I want you to know that I bear you no ill will, BUT HOW IS THAT A SPOILER? :p We know Copperhead is in the game!

Game froze on me again - frustrating. I haven't encountered the bugs other people seem to be, though, so I count myself lucky. Pretty irritating that the game shipped without more of this stuff being caught, though.

12. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999

Riddle me this: "What is KOTOR 2?"

Same old story. Game needed to be out in time for the Xmas shopping season and it went gold with a ton of bugs, to be patched (?) eventually.

Chewgumma and Penguinator like this.
  13. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Just picked this up. Hope it's worth it. I really liked the first two games but this one got some pretty negative reviews...for being too similar, I believe?

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It's like this: Origins is like the best quality reproduction of, say, a Rembrandt or a van Gogh etc you could buy.

Penguinator likes this.
  15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

Only the gameplay is similar

The story is fantastic so far

16. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

Meh, it's okay. It strings the different set pieces together well enough and does something interesting once or twice. It suffers from typical prequel-itus though, what with how Batman runs into all his most iconic adversaries from the first two games for the first time in just a single night. When you think about it it's pretty contrived.

One of the reasons why I loved the very first game, and why it's still my favourite in the series, is that the villain roster felt very organic to the locale and the story being told. It didn't feel like there was someone watching over the development with a check list of characters that had to be included for the sake of marketability.

17. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    So I started this game, and loved it. It was cinematic and felt like another strong entry to the Arkham universe.

Now I'm 60% through the game, and after a dumb plot twist I'm starting to get tired. This game feels much more repetitive than the last two, and the story is really not anything special. More than that, it feels unnecessary. After Arkham City had one of the best Joker stories ever written, I dislike him being featured so heavily in this game.

I don't know if I can finish it.

18. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Is it that this game proper is repetitive, or is it that it's literally just more of the same Arkham stuff? Because that's how I'm feeling, it's a lot fun but not very different and as such I'm taking more time with it.

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    eh, I feel like it's different, sure, but it's because it's little "things to do" are so achievable. Like finding a vantage point to knock out 5 or so Enigma relays with your remote batarang.

But I think I'm just gonna play through the story rather than side quests and police calls for help.

The lack of DC themed Riddler puzzles, i.e. knowing your Batman canon and being able to pick up visual clues... it's not cool.

20. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    That's fair, I'm missing that a bit. I think mostly it's just the lack of polish that's bugging me.

21. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I haven't actually hit many bugs - playing on PS3 - I've had enemies pop in when I'm right next to them, but that's about it.

Personally, it's not just that it repeats what Arkham City did, it's that it does it worse. The pacing is noticeably off too, I feel as if I'm actually just wanting to get through the combat, and considering how great the combat is, that's pretty bad.

But I truly feel it's lackluster story is it's worst sin - it's not an origin story, yet it's net an effective Year Two story either. It feels like it's trying to tell both a Year One and Two story over the course of a single night. Perhaps listing the 8 assassins right from the start is making it feel more formulaic.

22. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Yeah, it's definitely not got the style or mood of Asylum. Personally, as great as the mechanics and gameplay were in City, even that game sort of stretched itself a bit thin. I think the series needs to get back to something more focused and less open.

23. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I actually prefer City to Asylum, though they are both fantastic games. Arkham City was more of a hub than an open world, and it's relatively small size meant it didn't feel empty to me. However, I do think they need to mix things up. Have less villains but give each one more screen time, and some truly unique and exciting boss battles.

A more focused, linear affair focused on a villain that ain't the Joker could do wonders if done right. There's been good set-up for strong Batman character development, what with him pretty much entering depression. Just... have Rocksteady develop it.

24. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    It'd be nice if they didn't just kill so many plot threads in City - what a downer of an ending that was. I don't know how they'll follow that up.

The problem with an open world is that level design really goes out the window, which is why I think the best moments in City are the confined moments indoors. There's just such a switch in design and philosophy between Asylum and City. Asylum is tight, focused, and fun, and City feels a lot looser and less interesting - until you're out of the hub areas.

25. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I loved City's ending, depressing as it is. But it is hard to follow up on. Still, I believe Rocksteady can do so.

Now that you mention it, most of my favourite moments from City were from the indoor sections (except for when Protocol 10 first starts). You provide a very compelling argument to return to the series' roots.