main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Batman Begins

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Mastadge, Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    I havne't heard the whole score yet, but I've heared the opening track, and a few others, and I like what I hear. It's very subtle, very tragic. I always have a problem with the composers though. Whenever Howard does a score, it's always wonderful, but it's too damn quiet. Signs was fantastic, b ut you can't listen to it unless you have a system that goes up loud enough to hear it, and it's gotta be CRANKED. Is this him? Or does he carry around a crappy sound techie everywhere he goes?

One of the tracks has sound effects in it, and I dont like that. It has bats and other noises that are just plain irritating.

I';m wondering, can anyone who's seen the movie list the tracks with new names, so we can picture what's going on during them? The bat names is kind of cool, but tells you absolutely nothing.

2. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    just saw the movie; Movie was ok..score was good. The one thing i did noticed was that Zimmer needs to take a step back from his work and do some thinking. He is one score short of being the next james horner. During BB I heard crimson tide, the rock, backdraft, and without a doubt the last samaurai. I like his work a lot; but damn..there's a thread around here about JW starting to confuse his works?..well.

3. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    I've had some time to let the soundtrack sink in on me, and it's really not very good. I haven't heard a lot of Howard's work, but the stuff I have heard (Signs, Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Village, Batman Begins) all soudn the same. Perhaps the score fits in the film, but listening to it, all I can picture is aliens landing and creepy things going on. Molossus is good, as is the track after that, but other than that, nothing even close to being memorable.

4. Ogmios22188

Ogmios22188 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 12, 2004
    Yeah, maybe you just need to see the film. I like the soundtrack. Maybe that's because I can associate with things that happened in the film. Some parts of it are also rather beautiful. I don't know; it just works for me.

5. dan-yoda

dan-yoda Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 14, 2003
    I just recently got the Batman Begins soundtrack and I have to say it's amazing. However, with all the track titles being named after species of bats, I can't really tell which track belongs to which scene/s (I can tell a few, but not all). Can anyone tell me what parts of the movie are the tracks from?

6. Son-Of-Suns

Son-Of-Suns Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    I think they're arranged pretty much chronologically to the film. (ie. Barbastella plays when they Waynes are killed; Corynorhinus and Lasiurus play for about the last ten minutes of the film.) So basically if you rememeber the film well to place all the scenes in order, you can get the tracks right. Drama scenes and action scenes are pretty different from each other on the soundtrack, so that should be no trouble at all.

And like that...he's gone.

7. RogueBoga1138

RogueBoga1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2005
    I normally give soundtracks to bad films the benefit of dobut ( and low production quality), but this is a genuinley GOOD film with a BAD soundtrack. I was always hoping that Danny Elfman would be brought back on board, or even Elliot Goldenthal. But NOOOOOO, the folks at the WB hire composer Hans Zimmer, who has not produced a single piece of good music since "The Last Samurai". Ouch, I thought. Then James Newton Howard came on as well, and I give a large sigh- I loved his work in both "Hidalgo" and "Collateral". Maybe the soundtrack would be saved, yet. Or maybe not. Turns out the Batman score is the same as what I thought( dreaded) it would be- a tepid collection of themeless tracks. "Molossus" is the only good track on the album. Ouch. Better luck with the score next time, guys.

8. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Is the cue from the theatrical trailer. It starts somewhere when Ra's Al Ghul say Gotham must be destroyed. If that on then it's a buy. From the clips I can't find it.

9. Chaz1138

Chaz1138 Jedi Youngling

Aug 26, 2005
    It is unlikely that any clip from the theatrical trailer is on the soundtrack. With the exception of the sinppets of the Star Wars themes, obviously used in trailers for the latest three movies, actual music cues from a particular film are never used in the trailers for that film. In fact, different films may use the same cues, such as War of the Worlds and The Brothers Grimm; both used a snippets of a piece called Gothic Power.

The soundtrack is definitely a buy, though. One moment it is bone-chillingly frightning and the next filled with an almost sublime beauty (yeah, just like Katie Holmes). I absolutely LOVE it and it is totally cool how it makes the interior of my car shake with the sub-bass.

As far as I am concerend, it is the best soundtrack of '05.

10. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I'm pretty sure that cue was in the film. I have to see the movie again, but I'm pretty sure.

Not to get OT, but the thing about music in trailers not being in films is that I was upset when that Requiem for a Dream music wasn't in Two Towers.

But getting back to BB, I think around viewing will clear this up.

11. stormtrooper519

stormtrooper519 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2004
    What do you mean the score was not good. It was awesome and it works well with the film, which was also awesome.

12. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    Just borrowed the score from my dad (he's a big batman fan..kinda grew up with it). Listening to it right now..Track one just started...but the point to this is...

DAN-YODA: is that what those "so-called" words are????? I looked at the track listing first thing and asked Dad "are those real words?" well thanks for the info...makes much more sense now.

My post up above said I didn't find the score that great, I will give it a try on it's own. I still think Zimmer is one score short of becoming "the next horner"

13. Son-Of-Suns

Son-Of-Suns Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    There's a nice (but kind of lame) little easter egg in tracks 4-9:

1. Vespertilio 2:52
    2. Eptesicus 4:20
    3. Myotis 5:46
    4. Barbastella 4:45
    5. Artibeus 4:19
    6. Tadarida 5:05
    7. Macrotus 7:35
    8. Antrozous 3:59
    9. Nycteris 4:25
    10. Molossus 4:49
    11. Corynorhinus 5:04
    12. Lasiurus 7:27
    Total Time: 60:26

And like that...he's gone.

14. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Wow. Nice catch.

15. Ceethreepio

Ceethreepio Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2003
    This soundtrack is what I expect from Batman, dark and scary with romantic bits at the end. I really like Antrozous, every time I hear it I just get shivers.

16. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    And yes I saw the movie and the trailer music IS in the film. Now I just need to know is on the soundtrack.

17. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I think it's on Molossus track. I heard a little bit of it. :D

18. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    It's definately had some time to sit in, and I still dont like it. I'll listen to it, though. It's not that it's bad. It's that it's non-memorable. It may work in the movie (whcih I missed when it was in theaters :() but as a pure score, all the good music comes at the end of the soundtrack. What is frustrating is that there are some really good things that could've been used as a theme, but instead they only appear once. It's almost as if Zimmer and Howard actually AVOIDED making memorable themes. I'm all for subtelty, but why release a score if you purposely avoid making it listenable?

19. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Just bought it today and I really really like it. Especially Molossus. It follows the film quite well and I'm hooked.

20. Vaderbait

Sep 26, 2001
    Just saw the movie. Works well in the film, but not as a standalone, though I'm curious, what's the chronological order of the score? I read it somewhere a long time ago, but can't find it anymore.

21. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I bought the DVD I`ll give it a look

22. the-shrude-dude

the-shrude-dude Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2005
    The soundtrack is okay. with the movie its very effective - but as music - forgettable. Howard is a competent orchestrator. Just not much cop at writing. Zimmer is a decent muscial visionary - unfortunately he cant score. Thats WHY the two were brought together - to fill in the gaps. Bad choice, i think. but the music serves the film.

23. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    The more I listen to it, both on CD and as part of the film, the more I love it. I think it's brilliant. best score of the year, IMO. Even better than ROTS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.