main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Batman Begins!!

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Master_Logard, Jun 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    nice work Haz.

2. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    can you not embed an image into a post? i thought you could, but this "image" link is useless. fraking useless!

3. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    I call this next one:

"Springer Wrestles Technology"

[image=http://www.indefinite.org/images/owned/owned_wrestling_balls.jpg]

Bosh
    "Guess which one's technology."

4. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    Well, I went thinking I'd get blown away. Overall, a really good movie. My complaints:
    - It's like Nolan wanted to stay so far away from the over-the-top stylization of Burton that Gotham and its denziens were almost boring (almost).
    - Katie Holmes does indeed suck.
    - The fight scenes were typical Americanized, choppy, stuff getting crashed into scenes. After having just watched House of Flying Daggers, and seeing that Wayne was trained in asian fighting styles, they really lost the chance to show some teriffic martial-arts theatrics and instead we get the same lousy fight scenes we get in most current movies.
    - Tom Wilkensen, who's a good actor was totally miscast as an Italian gangster.

Other than that, awesome, can't wait for the next one where Batman fights the governor of California.

Bosh
    "YOU'RE NOT SENDING ME TO THE COOLER!!!"

5. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    When I went on Tuesday the Serenity trailer was in front of it. Batman AND Firefly!? My head almost 'sploded!

This is a very small complaint, 'cause I really, really liked the movie and I think Christian Bale is a fantastic actor, but there's something with his mouth when he talks that bugs me. It's like his top teeth disappear or something. It's normally managable, but when they jam the cowl on his head, it puffs his cheeks out and makes it much worse. Why was Batman whispering? Does he have a sore throat?

One thing that is likely to get over-shadowed is what a damn fine performance Gary Oldman put in. This guy can do no wrong.

6. DrJawa

DrJawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    I think all of the acting performances were stellar excluding Katie Holmes but I also thought that Gary Oldman did a stand-out job with little screen time. Gary Oldman is a very unique and recognizable actor but I feel he did such as great job as Gordan that he disappeared into the character.

7. Texxun_raider

Texxun_raider Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2005
    katie holmes sucks at every attempt to act. starting from "dawson's creek". i thought this was going to be another part of a played out story, but after all the talk, i think i might go see it. i might just like it. you never know.

8. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Fortunately Katie Holmes, who indeed sucks, is not in the movie very much.

9. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    Yes, and even the gratuitous comic book movie nipple-shot towards the end didn't redeem her character.

Bosh

10. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    I guess its cold in Gotham.

11. buzz57

buzz57 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2002
    I saw Batman yesterday and it was way better than Star Wars, It covered the Batman plot perfectly, and Gary Oldman plays a good guy for a change.

12. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    I know a lot of people are comparing Batman Begins with RotS, but I think they were about equal. The great parts of RotS were better than the best parts of Batman Begins. However Begins obviously has much better acting, and the movie is decent all the way through where as RotS's quality came in peaks and valleys (some deep valleys to be sure). There's no particular scene in Batman that really stood out for me as being spectacular...but nothing that grated my nerves either.

Bosh

13. sithlord85

sithlord85 Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 26, 2004
    I am a hugh fan of Batman ever since I saw Tim Burtons 1989 BATMAN. I didn't like the new Joel Schmacher versions of the series. I like it when the Batman films are dark with less humor. I like Batman Begins, better than the most recent of Batman films. I thought it had a great cast, and a decent story. I like it alot. Its just that It didn't have the impact that I expected from it. I still like it very much. Now for those who haven't seem the movie I might spoil you here. Stop reading..... I just hate how the next villian is going to be the joker. Don't get me wrong if I was doing the Batman films I would probably do the same thing, but I just don't see how anyone can do a better job than Jack Nicholson. I looked at the names that have been thrown in the air I mean I can kind of see how Jude Law can fit the part but none of the people I read, I think cannot out perform Jack's character.

14. sithlord85

Aug 26, 2004
    one last thing as I watched Batman Begins. I was hoping for Danny Elfmans Batman theme to appear in the movie.

15. DarthAstuart

Nov 28, 2000
    i missed the elfman music too...a lot. i understand they wanted to create their own identity but that music is so perfect, and i think it would have fit this new version fine.

nicholson's joker is pretty iconic, but i'm up for a new interpretation. i think the character offers lots of room for a great actor to dig his teeth in and chomp away.

16. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    How about Cesar Romero? I think he'd do a good job.

It might sound silly at first, but what about Mel Gibson?

"Flame on!"

17. DarthAstuart

Nov 28, 2000
    actually, aside from looking a little haggard lately, mel gibson would be spot-on. look no further than lethal weapon--the guy plays crazy good.

18. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    Actually, it was the opening scene in the Christmas tree lot that got me thinking of it. Crazy-crazy, then deadly serious.

And for Harley Quinn, we can look no further than Lacey Chabert.

One thing that has been rattling around in the back of my mind...isn't one of the inside jokes in the Batman universe is that he "creates" all of his enemies? During a Batman fight a vat of acid gets spilled on someone or Wayne Enterprises pulls funding on someone's ultimate weapon or something like that? I suppose that by spraying the gas into the doctor face he made Scarecrow go really mad (wish we would have seen more of him), but how does the League of Shadows come into play? Or is it just the fact that he let Al-Ghul live?

I dunno. Just something I was thinking about.

19. DarthAstuart

Nov 28, 2000
    if you're talking about the film universe--maybe that's true? i don't recall all the villains but I remember Batman essentially "creating" the Joker.

in the comics, I'm pretty sure that's not true. I think the Joker's previous life had nothing to do with Batman.

anyway, it's kind of a dumb convention--i appreciate that the crazies come out of the woodwork when batman is introduced onto the scene, I like that, but having him have a direct hand in creating all the villains is kinda hackneyed, IMHO. very schumacher.

20. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    I think in mainstream DC continuity, the Joker just happens to have fallen into a vat of acid. I'm not sure it was due to a fight with Bats.

Look at Scarecrow in this movie. Bats didn't create him. Crane was doing his thing before Bats was.

As far as the Joker being the next villian, I think as a director you have to do it. Having a Batman series and no Joker is like having Superman and no Lex Luthor. You have to have the archvillian.

21. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    They don't have to do a Joker plot in the next movie. Talk about the scrutiny they'd be up against. I was thinking they just threw that Joker thing in there at the end since it's an "in" joke that practically everyone would get. If you go by the end of Batman Begins, then the Joker is already created (or at least already committing heinous crimes and leaving his cards lying around). I think it would kind of kill some of the fun of introducing the character. Then again, they may wish to avoid an introduction plot (since it was done so well with the Burton film) and wish to pick it up sometime later in the series....for instance, Batman has already foiled The Joker at some point right after this movie (or thought he did), and then in movie 3 (or there-abouts) the Joker returns. That way they get to avoid having to re-invent the Joker and he can just come on the scene kicking ass. Who knows.

Bosh

22. YodaDaMax

YodaDaMax Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 11, 2003
    Well, Mark Hamill was the Joker in all of the Batman cartoons up to that new one, and since I've watched the cartoons much more than the movies, it just wouldn't be the Joker without Mark Hamill's voice.

23. sithlord85

Aug 26, 2004
    you know I noticed that too, that it seems the joker is already created but If Christopher Nolan is keeping true with Tim Burtons Joker He could have it where Jack Napier or whatever the Jokers real name is.. Leave his joker card at every murder he commits. "Don't you forget....Your lucky deck.." So it could be a posibility that he has not become the joker fully. It could be a regular guy who commits crimes and leaves the joker calling card to leave his mark.

24. DarthAstuart

Nov 28, 2000
    naw, goat's right--you HAVE to do the joker, and I think you have to do him next. he is he is an iconic villain, as vital to the Batman mythos as the Batmobile or the Batcave, and to NOT do him would be an enormous copout, Nicholson be damned.

i have a lot of faith in this creative team to get this right and make us forget Nicholson completely. Nicholson was a great Joker for Burton's batman universe, but this is a different world we're dealing with. I just hope they don't pull back and try to make the Joker more "real." his flamboyance would really contrast amazingly with the grim darkness of this new bat-verse.

25. Dex_Luminara

Dex_Luminara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2004
    Actually the current rumor is that , Yes, they want to do the Joker next, and the name thats being thrown around as the one person Nolan MOST wants to play him and is currently schmoozing would be a VERY interesting choice. Not wrong, mind you, but definitely has the intensity required, I'd just be impressed to see him do some MANIACAL laughing. The guy Chirs Nolan wants is.........................Sean Penn!

And as for what direction he would take him in, I think he will treat the Joker with a great deal of respect for the Batman comic fans, he is the quintessential Batman Villain. The Yin to Batman's Yang. But also realize that the origin story itself has already been tweaked slightly, because in Batman Begins, it isn't Jack Napier that killed Bruce Wayne's parents (unlike the way it was filmed in Burton's), it was some lowly, name-to-be-forgotten thug! So don't count on it being 100% true to your expectations. You're NEVER going to get that! But it will still be a great film made by people who truly care about the characters they're working with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.