main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Batman Begins!!

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Master_Logard, Jun 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    well, in the comics, it wasn't jack napier...it was joe chill, as it was in batman begins. so if anything, they're more respectful of the source material than burton.

not that it matters much to me, because to me that's really a minor point that worked fine in both versions. but it's a small indication of the level of respect and awareness they have of the comics, which is to me nothing but a good sign.

2. Dex_Luminara

Dex_Luminara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2004
    Exactamundo!!!

3. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    If only we could have someone make a Super Mario Brothers film with such respect to the source material.

4. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    still, i don't know who could possibly make a better Mario than bob hoskins. now THAT is an iconic performance.

5. MrShiny

MrShiny Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2002
    Hoskins was the mac daddy mario! Only wish he had shown us his darker side as wario.

I heard Hamil is runored to be up for Joker.

In the comics, joker's fall into the vat was due to Batman. This was retold in Alan Moore's "The Killing Joke" (which I recall was supposedly the comic that pushed Nicholson to commit).
    http://www.answers.com/topic/joker-comics

I loved loved loved the movie. It was spot on the whole way. No effort to enjoy it, which is not entirely true of the prequels, sad to say.

Did not recognize Oldman at all - forgot he was in it and was amazed when I saw it was him on imdb after the movie! The casting was great to use people like him and Rutger Hauer in such low key parts. They bring a lot of personality to otherwise mundane roles.

Ms. Tom Cruise should have just used diet and exercise to counteract Scarecrow's gas, instead of the drugs designed by the evil "psychs." ;) And it is cold (and very green) in the hills outside Gotham.

Great use of Chicago and fantastic way to make an artificial city out of a real one. Best chase on lower Wacker since the Blues Brothers.

Liam Neeson has to stop playing the wise sword master though. (TPM, Kingdom of Heaven, Batman Begins). At least he does it well, and of course he was great in this. Hey if you like Liam and you haven't seen "Love Actually," do!

6. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    It's rare that I enjoy a movie as much as I'd hoped. Movies like "Sin City" and the X-Men/Spider-Man series have been at least as good (or better than) I expected, and all 5 were very enjoyable flicks that managed to stay faithful to themes of their source material.

"Batman Begins", however, easily takes the reins from the first "Spider-Man" as the best comic book movie to date. It's also the first movie in years in which I'm considering paying to see twice. More detailed gushing may be on its way (perhaps during server maintenance next Tuesday), but until then, just a few points about other comments on this thread:

Katies Holmes isn't going to be winning an Oscar anytime soon (or at least she shouldn't), that's for sure. But she was competent enough for my tastes. In the grand scheme of things, she's no Scarlett Johansson, but she's no Jessica Alba either; I can live with that.

Nicholson's Joker was a welcome piece of talented scene-chewing in an otherwise disappointing movie, not unlike Johnny Depp in "Pirates of the Carribean." For a good examination of your average fanboy's attitude toward the '89 "Batman", please refer to the following chart:
    http://www.brunching.com/howbadbatman.html

Anyone who refers to events in the earlier "Batman" series as being part of the character's canon has a lot to learn. To paraphrase Flava Flav: educate yourself! read a book! learn your sub-culture!

Anyone who thinks that this new film (or its inevitable sequels) is in any way related to the previous series needs to wear a helmet when trying to simultaneously walk and chew gum.

Bosh, I love stylized HK-cinema fight scenes as much as the next guy, but that kind of choreography in this movie would've been way out of place. I think the style they went with suited the film very well: choppy, practiced but not perfect, occasionally messy.

A little tinkering with the flashback scenes would allow "The Killing Joke" to be a perfect chronological and thematic sequel. If only they could get David Lynch to adapt "Arkham Asylum" for the one after that.

I always thought William H Macy would make a fantastic Joker.

-Le Penguin
    "Oh, don't be so predicatable, for christ's sake! That IS his real face."

[edited for crappy spelling]

7. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    I barely remember Batman Begins already.

Bosh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.