main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Batman?TDK (Nolan)] As the World Burns (Bruce, Rachel)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Aludra_Jinnobi, Dec 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aludra_Jinnobi

Aludra_Jinnobi Jedi Master star 1

Aug 14, 2008
    Fandom: Batman (Nolan)
    Title: As the World Burns
    Author(s): Aludra_Jinnobi
    Timeframe: TDK
    Characters: Bruce Wayne, Rachel Dawes
    Rating: PGish
    Genre: Drama, Angst
    Summary: Bruce begins to realize his limits. Vignette.
    Warnings: spoilers for TDK, angst, some language
    Beta: none
    Disclaimer: I don?t have any claim on the world of Batman. It belongs to DC Comics and Nolan. I only borrow it. No money is being made from this, nor is it sought after.

Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn... Watch the world burn... Watch the world burn... Alfred?s words repeated themselves in Bruce?s head like a damned ringtone that wouldn?t shut off.

He hadn?t quite believed them?not when he first heard them. But now... Now Bruce was beginning to wonder. Was the day coming faster than he?d anticipated? The day that Batman would reach his limit? The day when he?d have to stand and watch with his enemy as the world turned to ash?

He?d already seen Wayne Manor reduced to rubble, his city near torn-apart by terror, and his mentor-turned-antagonist perish in the burning wreckage of a train. Somehow, he?d made it through those horrible things, and lived to fight another day. But the Joker was pushing him farther than he?d ever been before.

Old and young, men and women, rich and poor?none were safe, so long as that criminal ran rampant through Gotham. And Bruce felt now that the Joker was unsettlingly close to the bandit Alfred had described. Nothing seemed to motivate the Joker, or frighten him?nothing rational. If there was a logic to his madness, it was so twisted it made the scribbled drawings of a lunatic?s journal look like the work of a hyper-organized accountant.

It wasn?t the thought of failing himself that kept Bruce awake, as he paced before his penthouse windows. Nor was it the thought of death. It was the thought of people?his people?the citizens of Gotham?going down in flames with him.

He sighed deeply, and pressed two fists against the thick glass. It was not quite dark out. Bruce knew he should try to get some sleep before he began another night?s work, but how could he rest when every moment seemed to fan the fire of disaster a bit hotter?

A sound from behind him made him spin around. Rachel was standing in the doorway. Of course, he remembered, he?d given her the code...

?Did I startle you?? She asked, her face concerned.

?No,? he said.

?I... I thought I?d come see how you were,? Rachel ventured, as she joined him at the window. She tilted her head to look up at him, and the low light of the room glinted on her chestnut hair. ?You look tired,? she said.

?I don?t sleep well, lately.? He couldn?t lie to her. ?I?m not afraid of my own failure, but I?m afraid of what it could do to Gotham. I keep seeing what might happen, and all I see are flames.?

Rachel slipped her hand into his. ?I won?t tell you not to worry.? Her mouth twisted in a rueful smile. ?You will anyway. Just know that no matter what, there are still people who believe in what you?re fighting to protect, and they?ll fight for it, in their own ways, even if you?re... gone.?

Bruce blinked hard as he stared out the window. Tears were threatening his eyes, and he wasn?t about to cry in front of her. ?Thank you,? he whispered. ?

2. CloneCaptainRex

CloneCaptainRex Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2008
    Nice viggie!=D=

3. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Excellent writing, tremendous depth in those words. Great work. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.