main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Batman The Dark Knight Rises (Including Batman Begins & TDK) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Actually, at this point it's like Godfather (Great) and Godfather: Part II (Even Better).

What we don't want is Godfather 3.

2. The_Smirking_Revenge

The_Smirking_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 2, 2008
    You know, you are far too touchy about this stuff. I wasn't chastising you for talking about the Riddler, so try not to take things so personally. I have no problem with your opinion about this stuff anyway. I merely thought it was funny and remarked on it.

-T_S_R

3. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Or even look no further than other comic films, X-men, Spider-man, Superman and even the last set of Batman films...

4. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    I just think it's fun to debate, and I can be passionate about it. I apologize if I've offended you, T_S_R, or overstated my case.

5. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    Although not technically a superhero movie, The Bourne Ultimatum gives me hope.

6. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    Hopefully TDK will hit or break $500 million this weekend.

7. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005

Also, there are other third installments such like ROTJ and ROTK. Granted, ROTJ had some flaws that ESB did not, but it was still a pretty darn good and entertaining film. The makers don't have to top TDK, but they, at least, need to pay attention to what they are doing. I think the thing that sets TDK apart from other superhero movies is that, with it and its predecessor, you actually forget that its a comic book character. Also, Batman is less of a superhero and, basically, just a hero, but an amazing one. Therefore, suspension of disbelief is easier with his character and his most of his adversaries which is why, even, the Burton films seem campy.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Simple. Instead of deducing Batman's identity, he goes after the truth about Harvey Dent's death. As he does so, Riddler creates a series of puzzles that are fatal, but not "SAW" level. Traps for Gordon, his family and the Mayor. And as to the villains having a wow/awesome factor, only the Joker had that in these two films. The Scarecrow and Ra's al Ghul weren't nowhere near that level. Same with Two-Face. Save for the Joker, all of them have been pretty pedestrian compared to their comic counterparts.

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I think part of that is because Ledger got it. He got the essence of Joker and was able to bring that forward on screen. Not even Nicholson ever truly got who the Joker was. Not entirely and not in the way it needed to be in order to work on Nolan's Batverse.

10. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    Well that answers that:

11. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    Disappointing because I wanted to see Eckhart/Two-Face return, but nice due to the way they wrapped up his storyline.

12. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I think the only way they can hope to top the success* of TDK is to do something incredibly ballsy and 'never been done before' like revealing Batman/Bruce Wayne's identity to all of Gotham.

*I don't think it's really so impossible to match or exceed the quality, but the massive ticket sales will be hard to replicate.

13. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I'm the opposite of you: Two Face was great but I'm already anticipating news on the next villain(s). Usually, my preference is to see new bad guys instead of bringing old ones back. This is one reason I was disappointed in Spider-Man 3 and Superman Returns.

14. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Well it certainly settles it in terms of "we won't see him in the movies" atleast. My guess is that there are more circumstances outside of just the "story" being served for Two-face to live about a day and a half.

perhaps they weren't satisfied with how the Two-face look came out?

Maybe Two-face didn't test well?

perhaps there is a desire to move on to a new story, and not overlap...the death of Rachel assists with this as well...they could very easily skip ahead years now if they wanted.

perhaps they know they're only going to do one more, and they're struggling with the which villains from the gallery to get in before they close this chapter on the Bat.

"you already made it to the screen, sorry."

Personally, I'm hoping for about a 5 year fast forward, and the inclusion of Riddler, Catwoman, and Robin.

15. Count_Doodie

Count_Doodie Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2006
    my memory is a little foggy.... why did Jim Gordon fake his death?
    -doodie

16. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    To protect his family from being attacked in Joker's massacre.

17. StarDude

Nov 28, 2001
    Or maybe Two Face's story is already complete.

18. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    Well, it looks like StarDude had it right all along. There we were, clinging to hope that the filmmakers did not kill this superlative villain -- that he might return in future installments, as he has so many times in the comics -- but StarDude kept telling us we were wrong, and we refused to listen! So here's to you, SD. I know when it's time to eat crow, and I've got my fork and knife in hand, waiting for you to serve me the plate of steaming black birdmeat. [face_peace]

19. StarDude

Nov 28, 2001
    Thanks Vortigern. That's quite big of you.

[face_peace]

20. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    'Tweren't nothin'. If Nolan says he's dead, he's dead. [face_skull]

21. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Yet, there are still fans out there who'll believe he's still alive. They'd be screaming "Lies, all lies! Nolan is trying throw of the scent so we'll be surprised when Two Face appears in the next movie!".

Thankfully, nobody here is like that. Are they?

22. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I keep hoping J.J. Abrams has mounted a massive conspiracy to keep the secret of Shatner's cameo in the new Star Trek movie, but I don't think that's the case...

23. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I trust Nolan to do whatever is best for the series. If that is to move away from Two-Face, that's fine with me.

24. StarDude

Nov 28, 2001
    Exactly. I just have faith in the filmmakers. That's exactly how I felt when Heath Ledger was cast as The Joker out of left field.

25. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    With rumors persisting that Nolan might not take the third film, the new director might re-cast the Joker AND bring back Two-Face. Ouch!