main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Batman The Dark Knight Rises (Including Batman Begins & TDK) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Whatever Nolan does, I'm sure it'll be good (If he does). But losing Two-face brings me the same kind of sadness of losing the Joker in Batman 89. A loss of many great possibilities.

2. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    If that happens it's likely I won't see another film. I personally think that once Nolan is finished with the series Batman should retire from cinema.

3. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Nolan will come back for three, Warner has too big of a cash cow to give us a Joel Schumacher

4. SaintTames

SaintTames Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 18, 2008
    I heard on the stupid school bus radio thing this morning that they're considering Milo Ventimiglia as Robin for a new Batman movie.

Please tell me that that radio is really as unreliable a source as I think it is.

Like, really. What? Not that I have anything against the actor, it's just I thought it was already confirmed that Robin wasn't going to be in any of these.

Tames Was Here

5. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    Take rumours with a grain of salt right now. Nolan is uncommitted to a third film and WB has promised they would wait. I doubt highly they would say that and begin developing their own script, let alone start casting without the director having made up his mind if he is coming back or not. Most likely people are throwing around ideas that are being taken for casting rumours...The third movie is a long way from casting so don't get too worked up about anything quite yet.

6. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    What I wonder is that geek who tried to balck-mail Batman/Wayne and then got saved by him still. He would make a good reformed Robin, albeit one who'd get in the way a lot. I like the idea.

Otherwise, I hope the dead stay dead. There's so many vilalins in the batmanverse to choose from...

7. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Mr. Reece is way too old.

But he might be a good Riddler. . . he already has the name for it!

8. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    I don't care how old Robin usually is.:p

Somehow the Riddler-thing sounds familair though. the guy who feels overlooked and then oges overbaord, balckmailing his boss and all that. I think I saw that before.[face_thinking]

9. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    Wait, you want a short, stocky accountant in his mid-30s, who tried to blackmail Bruce Wayne, to be Robin? Are you at all familiar with Robin's origins, who he is, what he represents?

Should we make the Penguin an elderly Eskimo woman who once worked at 7-11 selling Slurpees to Commisioner Gordon?

How 'bout if Catwoman is an adolescent hermaphrodite who enjoys BMX bike racing and sending lolcats to her friend Alfred?

Still better, let's have the Riddler be a Samoan ex-wrestler who enjoys sudoku and unravelling the mysteries of the Legend of Zelda.

Because all of those make about as much sense as making Robin a middle-aged accountant. ;)

10. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    wow.

Some creative analogies there, Vort.:p

11. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    Joel Schumacher if you are reading this STOP TAKING NOTES! Put the Pencil down and walk away.

12. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    I was not talking about sense, you know. I was talking about fun.
    It would be fun to have it like that, and I don't know if it has ever been done before. Judging by your reaction it hasn't.
    Not that I ever liked Robin.
    Or Batman for that instance.:p Dark Knight was the first time that after watching a batman movie I though: Hey, Batman is not such a bad idea after all.

But making comments with little background is spurned on these boards, I know, I know.:rolleyes:
    Better scare the new ones away before they should gather enough knowledge to actually argue!:eek::oops:
    :p

13. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    They wouldn't even consider bringing up Robin rumors without Nolan on board. Nolan has said time after time that his series will not have Robin in it.

14. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    That particular iteration should be retired, certainly, but wouldn't you be up for a reimagining? Alfonso Cuaron's Batman, perhaps?

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [face_laugh]

"You want to save the girl in time, Batman? Riddle me this: What is the correct timeline theory for the Zelda series?"

16. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    None of the games after ALttP actually happened.

Honestly, though, I've always hated the 'Zelda timeline' concept. I just thought that each system got its own remake of the same basic story. That ALttP is just a reinterpretation of the original game, and OoT is yet another reinterpretation of the same story, you know? It just seems dumb to try having a 'continuity' where every so often three people with the exact same names (excluding Wind Waker, IIRC) end up in almost the exact same situation.

17. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    *pokes head in*

Tomorrow I'll be watching TDK for the fourth time . . . unless I have to work overtime, that is.

*shakes fist at movie theater for showing TDK only once a day*

Come to think of it, the Joker isn't dead. Not by a long shot.

How long do you suppose his trial would last?

- lazy

18. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Well, last time I saw Two-Face, we looked pretty dead, same for Rachel(?).
    (Yeah, sorry, I really have no clue:p second viewing coming up tomorrow...)

Seeing how the Joker doesn't rally care what happens (even to himself) as long as it includes chaos and mayhem... the trial could be fun.:D I just woner who'll be taking the role of Harvey.[face_thinking]

19. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    We won't see Joker again but I imagine we would get some details about how he's doing in Arkham

20. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Something tells me Joker's trial would be done via close circuit to the court from Arkham...he'd be harder to transport then Hannibal Lector.

I agree, we likely won't see Joker, though if we had a "drop in" to Arkham for any reason, I could see batman walking down the cell block, and they patch in a "laugh" from TDK to let you know Joker is there.

Maybe even have a cameo by one Dr. Harleen Quinzel would be a great fan nod.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The games never started feeling like remakes until OOT started the habit of copying the ALTTP 3-dungeons-then-Master Sword-then-7-dungeons structure. It wasn't so bad with OOT, but TWW & TP should never have followed suit.

Prior to that, each game was a distinct structure and adventure, with a defined relationship to the past games. They were never a remake:
    -Zelda 2 was a clear sequel, as Ganon was dead and you were exploring the massive regions beyond the "Death Mountain Area" that the first game (and most of the other Hyrule-set games) took place in.
    -ALTTP was clearly marketed as a prequel featuring Link & Zelda's ancestors, and it's story is completely different than LOZ & Z2.
    -OOT was a clear prequel to ALTTP based on ALTTP's backstory of how Ganon came upon the Triforce and how he was sealed away by 7 sages/wise men.
    -Majora's Mask was a clear sequel to OOT and had nothing to do with Ganon or the Triforce or Hyrule.
    -All the Gameboy games aren't even set in Hyrule (but their stories clearly establish reference to Hyrule being elsewhere)
    -Wind Waker is clearly set after OOT, and Phantom hourglass is a clear sequel to it.

As for the names, it's not as coincidental as you might think: there's only one Ganon throughout the entire franchise (not counting Phantom versions and such), and they've established it is tradition for the Royal Family to name their daughters Zelda (I think this concept dates back as far back as Zelda 2). It's only the Links that are truly multiple- and, even then, their name either isn't actually Link (afterall, it's the only name you can change in the game ;) ) or it's just fate.

22. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    The first Zelda game on Gameboy is the best Zelda there is...all others before were working toward perfect, and all after are just mimicked pretenders.

and we have deviated significantly from topic.=D=[face_laugh]:p

So depending on when the next film is timed...will we get a new batcave? batmobile? something else entirely?

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I thought we were merely justifying potentially unsolvable riddles The Riddler could use to stump the Batman? ;)

24. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I wonder what epithet the various Links got over the years.

Link from LOZ: Link the Brave
    Link from ALTTP: Link the Bold
    Link from OOC: Link the Musically Inclined
    Link from WW: Link the Daft

???

I now return you to the Dark Knight.

So, how about those Gotham Knights? I think that they have a shot at the World Series this year.

25. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    I would love it if they did that. I held out hope that she'd appear in TDK and was initially disappointed that she didn't, but after seeing it there really wasn't a place for her, IMO, that would've worked.