main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Batman The Dark Knight Rises (Including Batman Begins & TDK) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I don't see Nolan doing that at all and he has earned his creative freedom after Dark Knight. If we want to discuss casting I want Paul Bettany for Riddler

2. master-of-les-pauls

master-of-les-pauls Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 16, 2005
    I've seen a quote from Bale about Robin which was something along the lines of "If Robin comes into it i will chain myself to a boiler at home"

That statement may have been made in jest but it is a well known fact Bale doesn't want Robin the series

3. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

I hear Michael Jackson as Robin, Drew Carey as the Riddler, Judy Dench as Penguin.

(It makes at least as much sense)

4. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Honestly, I think Robin can be done in a way that satisfies the Nolanverse Gotham. Especially if we are talking about doing an adaptation of Dark Victory... Dark Victory introduces Robin in that series of Bat-stories spun off Year One.

It can be done, Robin doesn't have to be 13 years old... I'd be down for 16 or 17. His parents can be brutally killed, the kid would be scarred beyond belief. Maybe just as bad and out for revenge as Bruce was in BB. And Bruce wants to help him, wants to channel his rage the only way he knows how. Robin doesn't have to be all bright colors and stupid quips. He doesn't have to be Burt Ward. And he most definitely doesn't have to be Chris O'Donnel.

I think if someone could work Robin into the story without turning it into a light-hearted superhero buddy story Nolan would go for it. I think if someone could come up with a design for Robin's costume and gear that was truly inspired, he'd go for it all the more.

Bale's favorite story is Dark Victory? Then he shouldn't have an issue with Robin, Robin was handled brilliantly there.

5. JediUno3

JediUno3 Jedi Youngling

Nov 28, 2008
    I don't understand why Nolan just skips the Robin part and throw Nightwing in. Nightwing would fit perfectly with Nolan's movies. Nolan could make it work somehow.

6. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    I love Dick Grayson and I love Tim Drake, almost more so than Batman himself. No, I'll say it, I enjoy Tim and Dick much more than Bruce Wayne, especially as of recent. But I never EVER want to see Robin or Nightwing on the big screen again.

7. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    I understand Nolan's reluctance to bring Robin into the picture. You have to change Bruce Wayne around somewhat, because as is Nolan's Wayne is not a father figure

8. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    It all depends on what you want to do with Batman.

Frank Miller's Batman, upon whom much of Nolan's Batman is based, is no father figure either. All-Star Batman & Robin is brutal on that front. He's training Dick to be a soldier, he's a drill sargeant.. not a father. A Lonely Place of Dying is also a good story to look at for a Batman nearly as dark as Nolan's and how Robin works to reign him in when he's risking becoming as bad as those he fights.

9. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    All Star Batman is unfilmable even for Nolan. Miller really went beyond the limits there. I guess you could say he was a drill sergeant but we don't like Batman and it's harder to identify with him there. Batman all ways pushes the limits but we still need to respect his character and his intent even if his motives are to the extreme. I really like Frank Miller but I was iffy about All-Star Batman. Besides anyone who grew up with Batman but hadn'y read the comics in recent years would be disgusted by it. Nolan has to make it paletable to the mainstream audience who nearly all of them haven't read Batman comics with regularity

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Despite any problems I might have with All-Star Batman, I gotta admit, him and Robin being total ****s to Green Lantern by painting the entire interior of the building, and themselves, in yellow, was freaking great.

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Bump, as rumors start emerging of title, casting, villains and unused Ledger footage...

12. Jedi_MasterSkywalker

Jedi_MasterSkywalker Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 29, 2010
    Tom Hardy as Dr. Hugo Strange? I like it.

13. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Screw Robin, Cassandra Cain would fit in Nolan's universe much, much better.

14. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Anything that breaths some life and actual emotion into the movies without making them seem bland. This Bruce Wayne/Batman seems like an emotionless manakin--even worse than Queen Amidalla or Kevin Costner. Either recast, or do something to make the guy seem remotely human--even if he has to fake it. Seriously, even Kurt Russel manages to make emotionally repressed characters come out of their shell a little bit. I have yet to see this guy (OK, I can't remember his name) play anything but bland and emotionless palor.
    The problem isn't just the lead actor, but the entire movie(s). They just seem devoid of life--cold, unengaging, and fake. Same with Superman Returns.

Hey, why not let Kevin Conroy have a go at doing the character in a live format? At least he has a voice that can handle the transitions.

15. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Disagree for the most part.

But I still hold out hope that Kevin Conroy could do Old Bruce Wayne in a live action Batman Beyond. :p

16. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Anne Hathaway is Selina Kyle(Catwoman) and Tom Hardy is Bane. Now they said there would be two female roles, a love interest and a villain. So which is Selina, love interest or villain? [face_thinking]

http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/anne-hathaway-wins-selina-kyle-role-in-the-dark-knight-rises/

17. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Over at SHH! there are plenty of tidbits that are interesting. Apparently IGN has said something about Catwoman possibly filling a heroic vigilante role in place of Batman... and a poster that is apparently fairly reliable has a source that suggested to him that Bane's involvement means for some kind of adaptation of Knightfall complete with Bane putting Batman out of commission via back breaking or something similar. That could mean Catwoman has a sort of Azrael role.

I hope the other female lead is the villain role and it's Talia al-Ghul leading the League of Shadows or at least trying to get revenge on Bruce Wayne for her father's death. And Bane then can be involved in the League of Shadows as well, since sometime after Knightfall he linked up with Ra's al-Ghul as his would be successor and betrothed to Talia.

18. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007

You and I think I alike. I had the same idea of Catwoman filling Azrael's role. Also I too hope Talia is in it. I'd have Bane start out in a prison, get into a big fight and win, then sent to solitary where Talia is waiting. Basically just the opening of Batman Begins with Ras and Bruce. Bane goes with Talia and the League of Shadows who give him the venom formula. That would really help make the trilogy go full circle.

Of course I'm worried about Catwoman, can Nolan make a movie where he doesn't kill the love interest?

19. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Hm, does the first Batman Begins film counts? Although she then died in the sequel, but then she was never based on a comics' character anyway (at least I don't think there were any character with that name in the comics, not sure if they drew on any elements of other girlfriends Bruce Wayne has had over the years). Hm, Catwoman and Bane. Should be interesting to see what their version of Bane looks like, considering how huge he is in the comics and Hardy isn't that tall or hulking. Bane breaking Batman (literally and spiritually) would fit with the films' version of Batman dealing with his doubts, but it'd probably be a bit too long for a film to cover Batman's back being broken, for it to heal, and then the rehabilitation.

Catwoman and Bane are both pretty big Batman names, and considering how Batman reacted to the amateurs in the second film, someone like a vigilante Catwoman should really get him going. Although Catwoman could easily be either or both a villain and love interest. Hm, Talia would probably be the next biggest romantic interest of Bruce Wayne, but then there's the whole League of Assassins thing to worry about, not to mention that Talia is both love interest and villain often too.

I was just watching the Dark Knight this weekend when it was on TV, so perhaps my biggest question after the second movie is how long the GCPD will keep chasing Batman. They won't ever catch him (probably), but they can't really clear him of those murders since the whole point was to avoid ruining Dent's reputation. So just curious how the city will view Batman by the end of the trilogy.

20. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Rachel Dawes doesn't exist in comics, but her character was pretty much put in the role of Silver St Cloud from Steve Englehart's 2005 Dark Detective mini-series that picked up loose threads from his run on Detective Comics in the 60s. Heck, TDK's Harvey Dent looks like just Silver's candidate for governor fiance that she cheats on with Bruce. Oh yeah, and said fiance also gets horribly scarred making him a clone of Two-Face. Only it's actually Two-Face that was going to put him on the path to crime in the follow up that never got published supposedly. Englehart, on his website, basically tries to take credit for TDK's story despite it also having heavy doses of Loeb's The Long Halloween.

21. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Joseph Gordon-Levitt is in negotiations to be in The Dark Knight Rises. Any guesses as to who he will be? I was hoping Riddler originally, but now that would be too many enemies.

Via: Nerds of the Round Table

22. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I could deal with Riddler being in a sort of one off Batman busts him role much like Cillian Murphy's appearace as Scarecrow in TDK.

Other than that I've seen a lot of speculation at SHH, Alberto Falcone makes a certain amount of sense given the use of Loeb/Sale's work in TDK.

Some folks are starting to think Jean-Paul Valley/Azrael, which I think is pretty damned insane. JGL is, first of all, much to skinny for that part. Secondly, it would be quite a task to introduce that character and Bane and Catwoman and whoever the other rumored female lead is to be all in one film.

Falcone or Riddler is my bet.

23. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    This. Movie. Will. Be. Awesome

Batman, Catwoman, Bane, Talia Al Ghul, and Black Mask. It's just so... I think I'm about to cry... mere mortals are not worthy of this!

http://collider.com/the-dark-knight-rises-marion-cotillard-joseph-gordon-levitt/76464/

24. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Apparently it was to good for mere mortals, now it's been debunked as another fake rumor. I think I'm about to cry again. :(

25. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Really that's not surprising. Haven't we learn't from Spider-Man 3 that an over indulgence of characters isn't necessarily a good thing?