main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Batman The Dark Knight Rises (Including Batman Begins & TDK) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Feb 24, 2006.

1. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Not if it's Nolan. ;)

2. DX6channel

DX6channel Jedi Master star 1

May 23, 2010
    http://arts.nationalpost.com/2011/03/21/joseph-gordon-levitt-cast-in-new-batman-movie/

Looks like Joseph Gordon-Levitt is going to be Alberto Falcone, the son of former mob boss Carmine Falcone.

What do you think?

3. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Apparently not.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/129118-gordon-levitts-the-dark-knight-rises-role-revealed

For the love of all that's holy Nolan just tell us who is in the movie!

4. frodopwo

frodopwo Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2011
    Spamvertising

5. frodopwo

frodopwo Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2011
    Spamvertising.

6. Raphire

Raphire Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2008
    Have you noticed that Nolen likes using the same actors. Cause the guy playing Bane is also in Inception and one other.

7. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    He's like Tim Burton that way....

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Aside from Inception and The Dark Knight Rises, Tom Hardy is in no other Nolan films that I'm aware of.

9. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Nolan likes working with people he knows. Cillian Murphy, Michael Caine, Christian Bale, Tom Hardy, Joseph Gordon Levitt, have all been in more than one movie with Nolan.

But in bigger news. Ras Al Ghul is in the Dark Knight Rises. :eek:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/164757-josh-pence-joins-the-dark-knight-rises

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Nestor Carbonell is also coming back as the mayor of Gotham.

11. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    This is intriguing. I'm hoping that Miranda Tate is just an alias for Talia Al-Ghul.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/165941-cotillard-and-gordon-levitt-officially-join-the-dark-knight-rises

12. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Like father, like daughter...

13. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    While all this news sounds very exciting, I'm almost slightly worried at just how many characters might be in the movie. There's still the main heroes of Batman, Alfred, Gordon and Fox, and now quite a few villains. Sorry, just bad memories of another threequel that had too many villains (I try watching Spiderman 3 on TV occasionally... but I just can't sit through it), although none of the earlier Spiderman movies have reached the narrative heights of these Batman movies, and Nolan should be able to handle it, so I'm still somewhat optimistic. Just wow, plenty of heroes, villains and probably at least several romantic interests.

14. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
  15. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Yeah Batman has as much of a 'HOLY CRAP' face at the end as is possible for Batman. Looks like this will be Knightfall. I wonder if Catwoman will be the Azrael for this story though.

I wonder what Gordon is doing in the hospital though, he looks pretty bad. It does seem like he knows Bruce is Batman now though.
    Gordon: We were in this together. And then you were gone, now this evil rises, the Batman has to come back.
    Batman/Bruce: What if he doesn't exist anymore?
    Gordon: He must. He must.

If he's in the Bruce costume then that means Gordon has to know he was/is Batman, cause Bruce and Gordon never seemed to be partners or anything. And if he is in the Batman costume it really would seem strange for Batman to ask if Batman exists... while wearing the Batsuit.

Bane looks freaking awesome. And from his eyes you can tell he's intelligent. He doesn't look like the Bane from the movie who shall not be named. He looks like he's got a plan. A villain that can match Batman psychically and mentally, that's a great villain.

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Teaser is pretty good- though it lacks a payoff or punch at the end. Good start though.

17. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    On the Hype boards there's a picture of a man in a business suit and a ski mask in the window of a hospital. From the head shaped blob on the left of the screen in that scene, I'm reasonably sure it's Bruce in a ski mask, like he was in his first meeting with Gordon in his office in Begins.

18. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Well that make sense. But Bruce used his Batman voice while he was in the ski mask back in Begins. I would figure a good detective like Gordon would be able to tell from the voice they are the same person.

19. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    If Nolan decides that Jim Gordon figures out Batman's identity I'm guessing he'll do it like Miller did in The Dark Knight Returns... They aren't openly acknowledging that Jim knows, but he does.

20. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    He seems to be using the raspy whisper he'd use occasionally in Batman Begins.

I love the trailer overall, but I'm not completely sold on Bane's mask. It looks a little too Hannibal Lecter.

21. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Some enhancements of that headshot show that the straps are dark blue. I think it actually looks a good deal like comic Bane's mask but with the eye parts open instead of red lenses surrounded by white.

I'm excited for this movie, and the parts that excite me the most about this trailer are Gordon's speech and especially Batman backing away from Bane. He's going to get beat down pretty bad at some point and he'll just give up.

22. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, but without the eye parts, it goes from a facemask to a mouth assembly held on by three straps, which is just distractingly reminiscent of the iconic Lecter mask, now with bonus strap. I'm betting it'll work fine in the film -- I think the essentially still image from that straight-on angle is emphasizing the visual similarity, and it'll look better when you can see more of the whole thing -- but I'm just not in love with the design.

23. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Intial Thoughts on this trailer:

Con:
    I despise when they recycle previous film footage...and that was half this trailer...with another quarter being the cg bat logo in the buildings...teasers like this...I'm not sure if they ever worked...but in the world today where "glimpses" of stuff can be found any time online...the "teaser" is pointless.

Pro:
    Mostly from the vibe of the crumbling building cg, but also Gordon's condition/speech...looks like Gotham is going dystopian...which was one of my few criticisms of TDK...and it wasn't that Gotham was "real"...I love that...but that it was real and "nice"...there are plenty of "real" cities in the world that are far more dilapidated and dystopian than the portrayal of Gotham in TDK...At least in Batman Begins we got the narrows.

Question/Concern:
    According to the brief summary statement I've read a couple places...the basis is that Bane causes chaos to lure Batman out and crush him.

Isn't that the plot of TDK?

I guess I shouldn't expect more from the character of Bane (always one of my least favorite from the gallery), but I guess with that being the core of this teaser, I'm left hoping the "B" plot with Catwoman goes in another direction worthwhile. TDK was a collage of Joker stunts that only loosely tied together around "get the Batman" and "make the city go crazy"...I'd really like a more ambitious goal from the rogues...something more in line with Ra's in Batman Begins (which it appears the character of Ra's has something to do in the new film...not sure how much though).

I always think the plots for Batman are best done when the villains are focused on plans they think they can get past Batman, rather then focusing "on" Batman. To be clear, they did a great job in TDK with that concept, but I'm nervous it's going to be too similar this go round.

24. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    At the very least I'd speculate that Bane is tied in with the League of Shadows and Ra's al-Ghul. Seems there's probably some inspiration being taken from both Knightfall and the Contagion/Legacy storyline in which Ra's tried to wipe out Gotham with a plague and Bane was his new chosen heir and betrothed to Talia(and I hope that Marion Cotilliard's character Miranda Tate ends up being Talia al-Ghul).

25. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Once it was confirmed that Ra's is in the film, with Liam reprising the role, I just have a feeling that Miranda is Talia. Dad used a pseudonym and so will his daughter, I think.