main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice

Discussion in 'Community' started by Sith_Sensei__Prime, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Honestly, as soon as the home media release drops those two will be arguing with no regard for others and no ability to read the human cues which are screaming, to the attuned, DEAR GOD ENOUGH MAKE IT STOP.

I am excited for this on home media though. I was one of the minority who enjoyed it, but I really want to see more than anything the extended cut.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
  3. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Good read. I'll admit that there are quite a few valid points throughout. It's just a shame that several studio-mandated elements (such as the awkward JL set up scenes plus everything involving Lex and Doomsday) really muck things up. There was perhaps too much unnecessary baggage that, had it been forcefully jettisoned in time, would've resulted in a much better movie.

4. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    It's a pretty good article as it's well thought out, but I don't agree with much of it. The thing about "my two dads" is more conflicted and convoluted in the films than poetic as described in the article. And the thing about Superman finding out what it means to be human? The author of the article is grasping as straws. I mean, at the end of Man of Steel, Superman tells the General that he has American human values as he grew up in Kansas. Growing up in Kansas and having parents such as Ma and Pa Kent is how Clark knows what it's like to be human not being hit by a Kryptonite grenade.

I'll agree Lois is the key to Clark's heart and mind, but not really his humanity. That's always been the Kents. The Kents were always metaphors for human values and old fashioned values. Lois has pretty much been a city mouse with a big City/New York way of handling things which attracted Clark to her.

Clark knows what it's like to be human, what he doesn't know is how to be Superman.

5. Captain Han Solo

Captain Han Solo Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 23, 2016
  6. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

Considering the shakeups at WB's DC film division, I don't think these parts were mandated by the studio. I've read a number of rumours recently that Snyder wanted more of this stuff, and WB had to reign him in.

7. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    And here I was giving Snyder the benefit of the doubt. Silly me.

8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Watchmen Co-Creator Dave Gibbons Slams Batman Vs. Superman & DC

ukijedi and FatBurt like this.
  9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Well, here is the trailer for the ultimate edition.

TX-20 and laurethiel1138 like this.
  10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I like the trailer. However, it looks like they added more people coming down on Superman. On the bright side, looks like a bit more of Wonder Woman fighting Doomsday.

Despite not really liking the movie, I'm buying the Ultimate Edition of the Blu Ray.

TX-20 and Captain Han Solo like this.
  11. Captain Han Solo

Feb 23, 2016
    I also thought I noticed new footage in the titular fight. Which is good, because that duel was waaaay too short.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  12. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    So I finally saw BVS.

It's editing is an overall mess(though some really great parts in-between) the characters lacked motivation, Martha was used as a plot device and the movie felt like a mess.

Oh and Martha. Did I forget to mention Martha?

With that said...

I much like this more than Civil war and way more than TDKR & BMB.

It was visually striking and had amazing portrayal of Gotham(something the past 3 batman movies lacked) you saw the real nice looking aspects of the city but also the gritty and rundown ones.

It felt like there WAS stakes at high, because of the emotion the actors brought to the table. Batfleck was perfect. This older batman, was done so well. I was surprised to see Ben really nail it down to show that this isn't any other batman you've seen before. I forget the actors name who played superman but he also did really well here too. I felt that MOS was too moody with superman but here, he's supposed to show more conflicting emotions so I'll give Synder that. Lex was interesting. While I really wanted an older lex(and in different personality) I felt that this character wasn't structured poorly or boring like Zemo from Civil War. Best scenes with him was when his footsteps were matching with the tune of the music(But his motives make no goddamn sense. I'm not even joking digga. It was just foolish).

And the music....Oh the soundtrack! It was wonderful! Mixing classic sonata's with a modern yet epic sound was very pleasing to hear. 10/10 for me.

The fight scenes...What can I say? It's Synder. He does very well with stunt work and fight choreography. I loved how you see how smart batman was, using his surroundings to kill the bad guys.

Alfred...Again, great acting. I felt like Snyder really wanted to work on his character more than the past films instead of making him some butler. He does ****, builds gadgets. Glad they gave the man something to work with.

Now on Lois...I have to say, from MOS, they did good here. Giving her a subplot was nice but I felt that she should have had more screen time and story panned out more. At least she wasn't ham fisted as she was in MOS.

I know I'm going out of order but I wanted to touch on 2 last things......

The beginning. While I have seen his parents die more than I needed to, this was actually emotional. With beautiful lie in the background and the massive symbolism worked very well.

And last...The introduction to batman...Sheer horror. All in those scenes, gave me all on what type this batman was going to be. People were scared of him, even the ones he saves are afraid of him.

Anyways...It was a messy movie, experimental movie(which I commend Snyder for) but overall, I very much liked it for what it was just because it added so many interesting aspects(and not so interesting).

laurethiel1138 likes this.
  13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    More Wonder Woman!

[​IMG]

I didn't realize this was Jenna Malone in the trailer as I was expecting her to have read hair.

[​IMG]

14. Captain Han Solo

Feb 23, 2016
    Yeah, it doesn't look like she is playing Barbara after all.

Unless Snyder is giving a massive middle finger to Barbara Gordon's defining physical characteristic. I wouldn't put it past him, considering how he treated Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen.

15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    That's because she wasn't playing Babs. She was playing Dr. Jenet Klyburn.

[​IMG]

http://io9.gizmodo.com/turns-out-jena-malones-batman-v-superman-role-didnt-nee-1782156628

Klyburn appeared in a number of comics, largely in the Superman titles and The New Teen Titans books. She went by the wayside in the 80's in favor of Emil Hamilton and Karen Lou "Kitty" Faulkner. She was brought back in 2006 and in 2007, during Kurt Busiek's run on the Superman books, but she disappeared again after he left. She was last seen in "DCU: Legacies" in 2010.

It makes sense to use her since Emil was killed off in MOS.

16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    BATMAN VS SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE Ultimate Edition Trailer 2 (2016)

darth-sinister and Ender Sai like this.
  17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    So, I got late word that the Ultimate Cut would be hitting selected theaters for a one night event next week. Unfortunately, since I received the news late, the theater in my area has been sold out.

Here's the link to the selected cities for the one night screening: WBtickets.com

18. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Basically most of what these guys said.

Anyone willing to give the film an honest second chance (and if you're not, it's okay, you don't have to post to tell us that you've given up on it all, etc, etc) should watch this version. I'll never understand the editing decisions after seeing this full cut - the entire thing should have been released. Trust your audience, WB. Snyder made a great film. Lesson learned.

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, I enjoyed the film to begin with. But as I've always said, if something is cut out for the wrong reasons, it usually winds up making a difference in the long run. I've certainly learned that with the "Highlander" films. Particularly films two and four, which benefit from the missing scenes being put back in.

Darth_Furio likes this.
  20. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I did too, even though I enjoyed Apocalypse and Civil War a bit more. However, with this 30 minutes added in, the storytelling in this film far exceeds those films - there are still some issues, and it still lacks some of the qualities of the two aforementioned films that I loved - but it is a great film. It is also clear that Zack Snyder did his job - WB was terrified to put a 3 hour film in theaters, which is understandable, but they took a machete to the plot when they needed an exact-o knife.

Darth_Furio likes this.
  21. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    WB could have had concerns beyond just the original running time, though... they were OK with five of the six Middle-earth movies being close to 3 hours long in their theatrical versions (and one of them longer than that).

Ezon Pin likes this.
  22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    If they were comfortable with putting a 3 hour film into theaters, there was no justification for cutting this material out. I mean, there are numerous occasions where this ultimate cut gives at least half of the backstory on a situation that we were just thrown into with the theatrical cut.

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The way it was explained was that it would result in an R rated film, and that some scenes were deemed too intense. How much that is true remains to be seen. It might be that they worried about a three hour cut since "Watchmen" didn't fare well. We also have the report that execs worried that the film might not do well at all. It wasn't a huge hit, but it did make quite a bit of money regardless of not hitting a billion at the box office.

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I liked the theatrical version although it did feel like a hellova lot of stuff in there at once so I dunno if the new cut will add more stuff or make the random stuff make sense. I'm fine with a three hour version of the movie but I ain't exactly going to do it in one 3 hour sitting. Yay, pause button!

25. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    True. BVS is a great 2016 visual/musical piece. To me, civil ward didn't stand a chance at BVS's intensity.

Though, I did really like CW also..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk