main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Batman vs. Superman

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by DarkPrince, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkPrince

DarkPrince Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2005
    I thought this would possibly spring up a healthy debate. Which comic book superhero do you love the most, or if youy love both had to pick one?

Batman: Probably the most interesting superhero I've read in a comic book. Bruce Wayne's story starting with the murder of his parents then rockets forward through his days in Gotham City as Batman. I've always loved the Batman comics and have been starting to get into them more lately.

Superman: Not loving him as much as Batman. I like his story and his comics are pretty good. Especially the Death of Superman series. I think he's a great superhero and has some pretty interesting villains as well much like Batman.

I'm torn between the two...so which is your overall pick and why?

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    "Superman. Not a great comic. Not particularly well drawn."--Bill

3. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    These two are like a superhero Yin and Yang to me.

Fight wise, which is what it always comes down to, it goes both ways. Superman can kill an unprepared Bruce in an instant. Batman can kill an unprepared Superman with one Kryptonite bullet to the head. Strength wise of course, Superman reigns Superior, as he does over all else. I love both characters equally, but Batman will always have that edge to him. He can't fly, can't punch through concrete walls, can't lift 200 tons, can't melt things with his eyes, and most of all he's not even remotely invulnerable... but that has never stopped him from standing his ground along with the rest of them, and that's why I love him. He's the people's champ.

4. DarkPrince

DarkPrince Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2005
    I would also have to point out that Batman is probably the best detective ever.

5. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    I like both; but always have to go with Superman.

I think the ability to fly is just something that most people can Identify with. It's something that everyone has thought of at least once.

Liking/reading any comic book requires a suspension of disbelief (as with movies).. I mean it's a fantasy world and you kinda just go with it. The all powerful superheroes (i.e Supes,Hulk,Thor, etc.) you accept it; but with Batman..

Having him be a normal person is a great idea; and and it has always been this that the person can relate to..thus making him a believable superhero; but they just overdo it. He is the worlds finest detective and the most physically capable person on the planet..but then they have him do these over the top things and things that would kill any normal human. Just doesn't add up. but...still a big fan of "The Batman" though.

6. Tabula Rasa

Jul 8, 1998
    I love that entire piece of dialogue. It's bloody brilliant. Clark Kent is Superman's critique on the whole human race.

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    The thing about Superman as well is that he's got to have a remarkable sense of centre going for him. He can hear every single act of malice directed towards another; every scream of terror and every cry of anguish. He cannot save two people, at opposite ends of the globe, at the same time and so has to remain firmly entrenched in a philosophy of doing all he can without blaming himself.

Has anyone read "Superman: Peace on Earth" by Alex Ross and Paul Dini?

E_S

8. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I think Superman would always win, which is why they always contrive way to let Batman win.

9. Tabula Rasa

Jul 8, 1998
    Indeed. His superiority is not just limited to strength and whatnot, psychologically, he is advanced in his own way as well.

I have not yet read Peace on Earth. I've heard good things though.

10. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    Batman, for the simple reason that he has no powers and its just him and his gadgets. In some of the better written stories he doesnt even need the gadgets.

11. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

I think that it's very important for Batman to be able to win. Basically, when it comes right down to it, Batman is the greatest human being there is. The only fictional human character I can think of off the top of my head who is as close to human perfection as Batman is Conan (side note: that'd be an awesome fight :p). So, if the greatest of all regular human beings is not up to taking on whatever may come with his own skills and wits, what does that say about humanity?

Batman is in my mind the champion of humanity in the DCU, whether or not he and humanity realize it.

12. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I love Superman, and he is my fave of the two.

But didn't Batman beat Supes in Kingdom Come? I think I read somewhere that Batman has Kryptonite Golves that could leave Supes defenseless and be defeated. I think Batman's reasoning for it was in case Superman ever went crazy agian, he would be prepared for it. So yeah I would have to go with Batman.

~PK~

13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    There was no fight in "Kingdom Come". There was the classic fight in "The Dark Knight Returns" and not so classic "The Dark Knight Strikes Again". In DKR, Batman is wearing a suit that's drawing power from the Gotham Public Power company. He also unleashes a volly of gadgets and weapons. Superman breaks three of Batman's ribs. Green Arrow uses a Kryptonite gas filled arrow to distract Superman and give Batman the chance to get a few more licks in, before faking his death. There were other fights, but these are largely seen in Elseworlds stories.

I like both characters, but I cannot really choose between either one if I had to. They are both the epitomie (sp) of being a superhero. They are the World's Finest team. Even when Batman disses Superman.

[image=http://www.stomptokyo.com/scott/blog/C4482399/E1451826662/Media/FreeSnap004.jpg]

14. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    When I was younger Batman was always my favourite (perhaps because of the 60s TV show, I loved that as a kid), but as his stories have just got darker over the past two decades or so (I guess since DKR) I've found myself finding Superman the more compelling character and would now say I favour him. Spidey beats them both of course.

Oh and Supes would whoop Bats in a fight if he wanted too. Ultimately Batman is just a man, and Superman is practically a god.

15. Tabula Rasa

Jul 8, 1998
    Mark Millar's Red Son features my personal favorite Superman/Batman confrontation. Extremely offbeat, but I love how both characters are represented. One of my favorite Elseworld series, and Superman series period.

The fight in DKR is of course a classic as well. One of my favorite Batman, and Frank Millar series.

16. obi_webb

obi_webb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2005

that's dead on i think.
    i love both characters, and i slightly prefer batman, but there is NO WAY that batman could ever take superman without a ridiculous amount of luck. but batman having this grand elaborate plan to beat superman, and then superman flying in at super speed and beating batman with one punch wouldn't be an interesting story to read, or to write.

17. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    There are so many ways for Supes to cream Batman it's not even funny.

Heat vision, speed blitz, ice breath, going into orbit and chucking a rock at his head, letting Bruce literally break his hand against the man of steel's chin...

Bruce would have to set up the perfect trap for Kal-El, and even then... he's still only human.

And I also prefer Superman to Batman comic-wise. A lot more iconic to me. Besides, who's blood doesn't sing when you hear. "Look, up in the sky!"

18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Batman is paranoid as hell. He has studied how to defeat all the heroes, should they go rogue. In fact, Superman gave Batman a Kryptonite ring to use should he ever go evil or be controlled. All Batman has to do is put it on and start pounding on Superman. He can't fly at him at super speed, because anytime he's exposed to Kryptonite, Superman will fold like a deck of cards. Batman also has other weapons. A synthetic Kryptonite which will overload Clark's body, which isn't pretty. Then there's a weapon that he can have ready, which will emit red solar energy, which will weaken Superman. It pushes out the yellow solar energy that's stored up in his body and replace it with red solar energy.

19. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    This is hard because these two are The Superhero Icons. Superman was the very first ever and Batman followed not long after. My fondness for both has gone back and forth since I was a kid. Batman was the anti-hero with an edge, Superman the impossibly perfect hero. They're two sides of the spectrum. They show how much good one man can do with ultimate power, and another can do with only the stength of his spirit.

Choosing one over another would be like choosing one of my daughters over the other. Impossible.

20. Genimay

Genimay Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2005
    Batman. No questions asked. He has a will to win and that will beat super powers any day,any time.

21. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    I like both of them, but my personal preferance is for Batman I just think he's the more compelling character.

22. jpauln

jpauln Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2005
    I've always been more partial towards Supes. I think that stems from watching the Chris Reeve movies as a kid. (Now I have Smallville to bring back those old memories) I like Batman but he'll never have the place in my heart that Superman does.

Oh, and Supes could easily defeat Bats, no problem.

23. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I remember a similar debate from HC Realms about who'd win between Thor and Superman, and a point was raised there which applies here;

Thor and Batman have no qualms about fighting dirty. Superman does; so remember that when considering a slug-fest between the two.

ES

24. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    Good Point.

25. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Batman is a much more interesting character, to me anyway. He is majorly flawed, as compared to Superman, who is basically Jesus in a red cape. Flawed characters are always more interesting than perfect characters.

And in a fight Batman would win because a) he knows Superman's weaknesses and b) he wouldn't hesitate to exploit them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.