main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

batteries for park sabers

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by nathan_sith, Aug 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nathan_sith

nathan_sith Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 23, 2004
    hi all. been looking at buying cheap 9volt batteries for use in my tpm obi-wan EL saber. it came with an energizer battery that fitted very well. i tried to replace with a duracell but the dimensions are slightly different (the corners are sharper) and it fits very tightly at best with a lot of scraping!

my question being, anyone here know of any other brands that have the same dimensions as the energizerz?(yes, i want to buy in bulk on the cheap!!)

2. LATOPADEYOR

LATOPADEYOR Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 20, 2005
    The dollar store by my house sells all kinds of batteries, and they're all a dollar. There are 3 different brands that they sell, each a little better (theoretically) than the last. Where one brand might be a dollar for one, another might be a dollar for 2, etc., I always get my batteries from there, you just can't beat getting 6AAAs for a dollar, and as far as I can tell, they last just as long as the name brands, though I'm sure someone will tell me they don't, but for the tiny bit extra you might get out of an energizer for like 5 bucks, I'm pretty sure it won't last longer than 5 of the 1 dollar batteries. I am Canadian, so I don't know what you pay for name brand batteries, but here duracell and energizer cost way too much money... I don't know that one 9V costs 5 bucks, but I do know they are expensive, and might even be more than 5 bucks, I stopped shopping for name brand batteries long ago.I'll stick with the dollar store batteries... If there's a dollar store near you, check them out. I'm sure one of the brands will fit nicely.

3. DERTHH_MAWLZ

DERTHH_MAWLZ Jedi Master star 1

Aug 5, 2005
    I agree, the name brand batteries are way too expensive. I use them for the smoke detectors, and some key electronics, but thats it. Kids toys, etc, te cheaper the better, since half the time they forget to turn the things off.

Anyone have any good recommendations for rechargeables?

Derthh

4. degamad

degamad Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2005
    you could also consider buy rechargables, I have a 3 yr old son and go through batteries like crazy. I bought some rechargables and though the cost up front is somewhat exspensive. it saves in the long run, I rarley ever buy batteries now.

keep one battery in the saber while other charges

5. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    I've had bad luck using cheap 9 volt batteries in my Parks saber or hardware EL saber with a Lightech kit.

They don't last long and don't power up the blades to full brightness. [face_worried] If it works for your saber, then fine. But I only use Energizer, Duracell or Rayovac in my EL sabers.
    [face_whistling]

6. Dark-Master-Jedi

Dark-Master-Jedi Jedi Youngling

Jul 15, 2005
    Not only have I had experience with shorter battery life of the "non-name brand" batteries, but I have also had more problems with them leaking acid. On the other hand, I have had fewer problems with "name brand" batteries leaking. I personally would prefer to reduce the likelihood of battery acid messing up any of my electronics.

Just my 2 cents.

DMJ

7. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    I agree. I bought a rechargable pack of AA batteries for my son to put in his toys and they save a ton of money. Besides, I'd imagine that after putting a few batteries in-and-out of the hilt the battery case should start to loosen up a bit and make it easier to put any battery in there, sharp corners or not.

8. LATOPADEYOR

LATOPADEYOR Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 20, 2005
    Well my EL saber is using AAAs so I'm not sure about the whole brightness thing with cheap 9V batteries, you could be right on that Loreen. A freind of mine brought me 8AAA "industrial" batteries that, according to him, were better and more expensive than any of the name brands, and I didn't notice any difference in brightness. He works for Orenda Aerospace and told me that they buy those batteries because they want the most powerful batteries in everything in the building. There may very well be a difference between cheap 9V batteries and name brand, since you've tried it, I'm sure you're right about that. You seem very intelligent, so I would be inclined to take your word for things. I was just answering to the "cheap" factor more than anything. He said he wanted "cheap". I've never had any batteries leak acid before, cheap or name brand, but, then again, I don't leave my batteries in things. I take them out when they're not in use. I always get a kick out of seeing my brother come over and pick up my Force FX saber and try to turn it on, and asking, "What...Did you break it?"
    "No...the batteries are right over there."
    I always thought that it is keeping batteries in something when it is not in use for a while that causes them to leak, but maybe that's just a theory.

9. DERTHH_MAWLZ

Aug 5, 2005
    What increases the potential for alkaline battery leakage?
    Typically, alkaline batteries will not leak under normal storage and usage conditions. However, the potential for leakage is significantly increased if batteries are subjected to charging, mixing of battery chemistries, mixing of fresh and used batteries, physical damage, extended exposure to high temperature or deep discharging. Alkaline battery leakage is extremely caustic and contact with bare skin should be avoided. In the event that battery leakage comes in contact with your skin, flush the area for 15 minutes with copious amounts of water.
    - Copyright Everready Battery Company

I know I'm guilty of mixing some old and new batteries here and there to get something working when I don't have enough AA's in house. I need to stop doing that....

Derthh

10. DERTHH_MAWLZ

Aug 5, 2005
    Ok, I did an admittedly unscientific test (since I don't have equipment to test light output) with four new 9v batteries:

Cheap ones:
    CVS special
    RayoVac Maximun Plus

Name Brand:
    Duracell
    Energizer

I tested both my red and blue blades in both natural light and in a darkened room.

With new batteries, I observed no differences in EL blade color or brightness from any of the brands.

So from my point of view, it comes down to battery life, since visual fidelty of the EL blade drops as the battery loses it charge. I tested this as a control using a 9V that I know has been used alot and is not at full charge. The visual difference in the EL blade is quite apparent with that battery.

Now battery life, that's a test for another day....

-Derthh

11. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    I've never built an EL Kit before but I'm guessing that they have some type of voltage regulator in them. So no matter what type of batteries you use the blade is only going to get as bright as it's designed to. Regulators are used to keep people from using batteries that are too big and in turn blowing up the eletronic item in question. A weak battery however, or a battery that doesn't hold a charge for that long, will be reflected by a dim-looking blade.

12. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Home Depot.
    Enegizer Industrial in bulk.
    It works out to about 75 cents a piece.
    They fit.
    [face_flag]

13. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Yeah, you can find good deals for top brand batteries in bulk at a lot of hardware stores. That's what I look for. ;)

14. phreak_of_nature

phreak_of_nature Jedi Youngling

Jun 26, 2005
    If you go with a rechargeable 9 volt battery you will only get 8.4 volts from a fully charged battery so the blade will appear dimmer than a brand new alkaline battery. This is of course because rechargeable batteries only exert 1.2 volts per cell whereas alkaline and lithium are 1.5 volts per cell. An alkaline 9 volt battery is 6 small batteries hooked in series, a rechargeable 9 volt is 7 small batteries.

If you frequent the dollar stores (as I do) be careful about buying batteries that aren't even alkaline or are alkaline that have been recharged. The non-alkaline batteries are probably carbon-zinc and are about as useful as male nipples. Recharged alkaline are prone to leaking. So long as the batteries carry a reputable brand you shouldn't need to worry.

You could go with lithium 9 volts but they're 10 dollars in the states and likely more than that in Canada. However deliver high power for a long time.

My conclusion is this; if you play around with your lightsaber a lot in your house or just goofing around get a rechargeable nickel metal hydride (Ni-Mh) or two, if you're acting with a troupe and want it to really shine have a lithium on hand for the occasion.

Hope this helps nathan_sith

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.