main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Battle Droids the StormTroopers of the PT

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by The_General_Grievous, Apr 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_General_Grievous

The_General_Grievous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2005
    If you think about it the battle droids(super battle droids, droidkas ext) are the main bad guys up until the very end of the PT. What are you thoughts on the battle droids?

2. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Actually, they're little more than shock troops for the real "main bad guys". So yeah, I guess they're kind of like stormtroopers, in the sense of basic usage.

3. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Very true. They;re the faceless, soleless shocktroops the heros easily take out, only to have more come and face them. In contrast to the Clone Troopers, who allthough have a direct relation to the Stormtroopers, are much more human, and free thinking, as the Prime Minister of Kamino points out when he's talking wbout how they're immensly supirior to droids.

4. Jedi_Daniel

Jedi_Daniel Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 16, 2002
    I think it was in the Phantom Menace DVD, in one of the documentaries, when George is showing Steven Spielberg around and shows him a life-size replica of a battledroid, he says: ?Here?s the new stormtrooper of the prequels.?

I think all Steven said was: ?Cool...?

5. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Yeah. I remember somthing with GL showing Spielburg arround, and a lifesize battle droid modle on a cart or something... Of course I saw that when I rented the TPM DVD years ago.

6. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Also, something that connects them to the stormtroopers is that they are not very good, just like the Stormtroopers.

Well, I am talking about the regular battle droids, not Super or the droidekas.

darth_nemisis

7. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I always thought the battle droids were kind of cool looking but a little flimsy. They seem designed to subdue weaker, poorly armed populations like Gungans or the Naboo. They're not as solid, flashy or visually striking as the stormtroopers, who look like they were built to fight actual battles. Looking at battle droids and at stormtroopers, it's not surprising who wins at Genosis.

8. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Thus why they created Super Battle Droids, which can act independent of a Droid Control Ship and have beefed up armor on their upper body and torso, along with built in weaponry and all-terrain feet.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. jidai

jidai Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2005
    hey,
    my question is: what happens to the clone troopers in the OT? I mean they become the bases for the stormtroopers, but stormtroopers couldn't hit the side of a barn with a rocket launcher. So, what happened to their training? It is not that important, but it bugs me how they make out these clones to be bad asses when the story says they are good guys in the PT, but when they become bad guys in the OT they become retarded[face_thinking]

10. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    In the OT stormtroopers are a mix of recruits and clones from new hosts, very few of the original clonetroopers remain

11. jidai

jidai Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2005
    is that from the EU?

12. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Possibly, but it makes sense. Growth acceleration would make Jango clones very old by the time of the OT.

Besides, the OT stormtroopers weren't all that bad. They killed a bunch of nameless rebels on Hoth and on the Tantive IV.

13. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    Stormtroopers suck in the OT as a plot device. It wouldn't do much good for the saga if Luke died in one of the firefights on the Death Star. Every time the main characters aren't involved in a battle, the Stormies kick major a**. "Only Imperial Stormtroopers are this accurate."

I'm bothered by the personalities of the Battle Droids. I was led to believe that they had minimal free-thinking capabilities, but in ROTS, we see them skittering around and running into each other purely for the purposes of comic relief. Worst of all, "uh-oh". Why would a mindless drone be concerned or frightened? Was Jar Jar plugged into the droid control computers?

14. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    No it's straight from GL's mouth in the August SW Insiders

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.