main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

battle of endor

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by ppal, Jun 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ppal

ppal Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 1999
    Vader has a meditation chamber on the Executer which was part of the battle of endor but I was thinking why didn't he and the emperor combine their force powers and use battle meditation against the rebel forces rather than concetraiting on capturing Luke skywalker they should have defeated the rebels and then assuming skywalker survives then worry about converting him to the dark side. The Sith had a rather flawed strategy this time.

2. lrdmonarch

lrdmonarch Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 14, 2001
    Cause Battle Meditation is strictly Expanded Universe?

3. Cloudreaper

Cloudreaper Jedi Master star 2

Mar 2, 1999
    As lrdmonarch says, Battle Meditation is an EU device (perhaps a Kevin J. Anderson/Tom Veitch invention from the comics, I think...either author being a good explanation as to why it just seems silly to me) and didn't exist ROTJ time.

But assuming that it does exist in 'reality' and it was something Vader and Palpy were good at, why bother? Whether or not he could really 'foresee' how things would turn out, Palpatine had everything planned out perfectly. The rebels were pretty much doomed to lose the engagement. If it hadn't been for the chance recruitment of the ewoks and the overall tenacity of the rebels, it would've been a crushing defeat for the Alliance. Vader and Palaptine had what they both considered to be their greater priority...the continual survival and improvement of their sect and their personal power.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, I believe it was Zahn who created the ability based upon ROTJ (as the Imperial forces fell apart after the Emperor's death).

EU-wise, I believe Palpatine was influencing the battle while he toyed with Vader and Luke- though I believe he also had one of his Grand Admirals, a force-senstive, attend to the micro-managing aspect of things.

5. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    The millitary is there, let them deal with the rebels.

Luke is a Jedi, and so he's a Sith problem, so only Vader and the Emperor could deal with him.

There's also the "overconfidence" thing. They didn't need battle meditation to win. If Palpatine hadn't been such a goof and let the ships attack, they would have won in minutes. But noooo, he's got to have "something special" planned.

6. That_Random_Jedi

That_Random_Jedi Jedi Master star 3

May 14, 2005
  7. generallee5

generallee5 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2003
    True, battle meditation (mediation?) didn't exist during the making of ROTJ, but whether it is considered a possible option now, Palpatine and Vader were focusing on Luke, who to Palpatine seemed far more important.

Palpatine's mind would've been something like: "who cares if we lose a few more ships because I'm not controlling everything, we're still going to win and I'm invincible in the Death Star. After all, it's just a bunch of pathetic people fighting for their beliefs. Force-sensitive beings are far more superior and thus are the true concern."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.