main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Battle of Hoth: No T.I.Es ?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Losferwords, Nov 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheHappyStormtrooper

TheHappyStormtrooper Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2005
    The Imperial military's lack of effective combined arms assualt really pisses me off. They employed sstormtroopers as garrisson troop sin many places, instead of using them as shock assualt teams as they were ment to be used.
    Also, the lack of any combat capable atmospheric aircraft is a tremondous oversight, and most likely a direct result of the Emporers relative military incompitance. The Empire had such massive resources, adn why the hell didnt they come up with a combat aircraft to support troops on the ground? And in many cases, when equipment was available, overconfident Imperial Commanders refused to use them! truly a damn shame.

2. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    Tactics. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
    I would have saved the TIEs for ships that escaped.
    Hounds to the hunters...

3. TheHappyStormtrooper

Jun 1, 2005
    Eggs in oen basket? this is the EMPIRE. They have more than enough resources to swamp the rebels with superior numbers of superiorly trained and motivated pilots.

4. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    They have more than enough resources to swamp the rebels with superior numbers of superiorly trained and motivated pilots.

You know the empire loses, right?

5. TheHappyStormtrooper

Jun 1, 2005
    Yes, its a Goddamn shame, isnt it? Palpatine and his croonies kinda sucked, but hey- the rest werent bad at all, at least not compared to that infernal weak Republic.
    (NOTE: I vote Intergalactic Fascist Party.)

6. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002

"Fear will keep the local systems in line..."

The Empire relied on fear and overwhelming displays of strength and power to keep people in line. For the most part, it worked. Out of the thousands of star systems in the Empire, only a small handful dared oppose the Empire openly. Look at how many ships the Rebels had; barely any at all. If it wasn't for Luke Skywalker, the Rebellion would have been crushed easily, no matter what tactics the Empire used.

7. TheHappyStormtrooper

Jun 1, 2005
    Yes, the Empire built ships to cause fear, but they did not use them effectivly at all. A Star Destroyer is fully cabable of bombing the rebel base on Hoth from orbit. But one didnt. The Empire has more than enough military resources to conduct an overwhelming "D-Day" style invasion of Hoth with forces that outnumber the rebels 10:1. But they sent only a couple of ships, which were incapable of even stopping a few measly rebel transports flying out with supporting fire from the rebels one Ion cannon defense system, which should have been plotted, targeted, and destroyed in the first minutes of the invasion.

8. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    "Comscan detects an energy shield protecting the 5th planet of the Hoth system. The shield is strong enough to deflect ANY bombardment."

Can bomb them with a SD.

"Admiral Ozzel came out of lightspeed too close to the system..."

This leads me to believe that the Empire HAD to attack at that moment, they couldn't wait for reinforcements to show up.

9. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Yes, they had to attack right then, with what they had. They couldn't bomb them from orbit with the Star Destroyer or TIE bombers. They couldn't wait for Turbo Tanks or Artillery Batteries to show up, because the longer they wait, the heavier the Rebel defense will be, which might result in a very long seige. They knew a few AT-ATs could do the job if they moved right away.

10. TheHappyStormtrooper

Jun 1, 2005
    Ahy I see. Good points from both of you. But still, it leads me back to how inefective the attack was. the goal was to destroy the rebellion, but they allowed most of the rebels to escape alive and well.

11. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Well, they did kind of rush into it, but the whole thing was Ozzel's fault. If they hadn't come out so close, the Rebels wouldn't have detected them. Vader could have done more recon of the planet with droids or biker scouts, gotten a better layout of the Rebel's base and defense capabilities, called for more Star Destroyers, formulated a plan to take out the ion cannon and the shield generators more efficiently, had a much larger net of TIEs and Star Destroyers to catch any evacuees, then quickly moved in with gunships and airtroopers.

The Rebels would have no ion cannon to defend their transports, no shield to protect them from orbital bombardment or flying troop transports, the trenches wouldn't be manned, the speeders wouldn't be prepped, and the Rebels would be caught with their pants down. Would have been the end of the Rebel Alliance if handled the right way, and much smarter than destroying the entire Yavin moon like Tarkin wanted to do. But, Ozzel screwed that all up. I think Captian Needa's death was undeserved, but Ozzel had it coming!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.